Roksan Caspian cd player.......worth it ?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Current cd set up is Roksan Kandy K2 amp and cd player with MS Mezzo 6 speakers, upgrading speakers to B&W CM10 have an option on a Roksan Caspian MKI cd player for £300, would this be an improvement I could easily hear over the K2 my other option is the new K3 at £895.....the reason for changing the K2 cd player is the transport drawer has become erratic and the display is virtually unreadable.......any thoughts on another player sub 1K that would fit well would also be appreciated......

lcd4ever said:
Current cd set up is Roksan Kandy K2 amp and cd player with MS Mezzo 6 speakers, upgrading speakers to B&W CM10 have an option on a Roksan Caspian MKI cd player for £300, would this be an improvement I could easily hear over the K2 my other option is the new K3 at £895.....the reason for changing the K2 cd player is the transport drawer has become erratic and the display is virtually unreadable.......any thoughts on another player sub 1K that would fit well would also be appreciated......

For that price I'd buy it for convenience alone, the drawer / display issues are not going to improve without an expensive service.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
If i had the k2 already and it was not faulty id just stick with the k2 as i doubt youd hear and improvement tbh.

But if i were to get new one between then2 then id go naturally for the better or higher end one.

Doubt youll hear any difference though

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, really was hoping someone who had heard a caspian and a kandy would weigh in, at 300 its not a huge investment and my new B&W CM10s should give me some improvement to the sound of the set up. I love the look of the new K3 but even at the new lower price of £895 its a lot unless someone tells me they are like night and day quality wise but I seriously doubt that. Thought about a cyrus but I HATE the shoebox design, maybe an arcam or audiolab.....???

lcd4ever said:
Thanks for the replies guys, really was hoping someone who had heard a caspian and a kandy would weigh in, at 300 its not a huge investment and my new B&W CM10s should give me some improvement to the sound of the set up. I love the look of the new K3 but even at the new lower price of £895 its a lot unless someone tells me they are like night and day quality wise but I seriously doubt that. Thought about a cyrus but I HATE the shoebox design, maybe an arcam or audiolab.....???

If you're going to replace the K2 anyway and want to do it on the cheap then surely the best way to do it is buy a second-hand K2, that way you know what you are getting. There is absolutely no point in asking what other people think about apparent improvements because they are not you. Go out and audition would be my advice.

And if you're turning down a Caspian at that price ........? Which was you initial question I believe. Yes there are plenty of other players out there to audition sub 1k but auditioning is the only way you're going find out.

The Capian was originally a £1500 player for a reason and knowing Roksan, had the K2 myself, it is not going to let the K3 sound better than it's premium label.

I'm a little split on this. No doubt an old Caspian will not give you much of an upgrade. Chances are an old MKI will be less reliable than a newer K2.

If it was my money, I'd upgrade the amp to a Caspian M1. IMO CDPs won't give you the improvement you're probably looking for... the amp will be more noticable.

And at £300 the Caspian must be very old and (probably) well used.

plastic penguin said:
I'm a little split on this. No doubt an old Caspian will not give you much of an upgrade. Chances are an old MKI will be less reliable than a newer K2.

If it was my money, I'd upgrade the amp to a Caspian M1. IMO CDPs won't give you the improvement you're probably looking for... the amp will be more noticable.

You may very well be heading in the right direction, however, a £300 Caspian is going to be a better buy than a £300 K2.

Ultimately it seems to be the need to replace a well used K2 that the OP is looking for and if he's considering sub £1000 players to do this then it poses a problem as the biggest improvement to a system is always going to be the source itself in my humble opinion.

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

You may very well be heading in the right direction, however, a £300 Caspian is going to be a better buy than a £300 K2.

Ultimately it seems to be the need to replace a well used K2 that the OP is looking for and if he's considering sub £1000 players to do this then it poses a problem as the biggest improvement to a system is always going to be the source itself in my humble opinion.

Can you buy a well looked after K2 for £300? If you can it'll be risk whichever one the OP plumps for.

I do know a person selling an Electro for just £150 or so more. Much better bet. *biggrin*

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:

Can you buy a well looked after K2 for £300? If you can it'll be risk whichever one the OP plumps for.

I do know a person selling an Electro for just £150 or so more. Much better bet. *biggrin*

Bargain!

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
I suppose the real crux is I want a brand new shiny Caspian M2, which I toyed with but would my K2 amp do it justice ?.....probably not and I certainly cant afford 4k for the amp and cd player.....spanner in the works....there is a Music fidelity X-ray cdp on ebay for £275......??

lcd4ever said:
I suppose the real crux is I want a brand new shiny Caspian M2, which I toyed with but would my K2 amp do it justice ?.....probably not and I certainly cant afford 4k for the amp and cd player.....spanner in the works....there is a Music fidelity X-ray cdp on ebay for £275......??

The x-Ray is old. Stick to Roksan, your amp is good enough.

P.S.: There will be little audible difference between the M1 and M2.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Now more confused......HiFix who are supplying the B&W speakers are offering the new K3 to me for £800 thats a 1300 player also with the newest tweeks and it looks stunnning to boot......I'm thinking thats got to be the best deal......

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lcd4ever said:
Now more confused......HiFix who are supplying the B&W speakers are offering the new K3 to me for £800 thats a 1300 player also with the newest tweeks and it looks stunnning to boot......I'm thinking thats got to be the best deal......

Id be tempted but why dont younask them which ine sounds the best? Im sure theyd have heard both play

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure they will say that the M2 is the best at £1900......obviously if I could hear both that would clinch it but I live up in Scotland so its a fair old way to hear a cd......having read the review if the K3 on here it certainly sounds great and its brand new ....just hope the display and transport are better than the K2(there are a few online complaints about the K2 display).....

Cheers guys

[/quote]

Id be tempted but why dont younask them which ine sounds the best? Im sure theyd have heard both play

[/quote]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts