Cd player, Amp for Spendor A6r Speakers

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a 12 year old Cyrus 8 vs Cd player and a 8 x amplifier running recently purchased Spendor A6r speakers.

Firstly the sound is great and the speakers are a vast improvement over the old Dynaudio 52se I had. The level of detail and dynamics are astonishing.

However, I am looking to upgrade the cd and amp after Xmas.

I was thinking of new Cyrus amp cd player with a psx-r2 power supply, or maybe a rega elicit - r and Roksan Caspian M2 amp.

Here is the issue. My collection is mainly Cds, so do I stay on this road or get something that I can put my Cds onto and stream in the future ?
I like a slightly warm sound and listen to all types of music but mostly pop, rock.

I have £3600 max budget
Any suggestions welcome

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion would be a Bel Canto C5i, which even has a quality built-in DAC. It is a small box and has a sound that usually works for people who like Cyrus.

Other brands to check out are Sugden and Hegel.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Further to Cno's suggestions, check out the new Arcam range. The A39 will be a great match with your Spendors especially if you are looking for a slightly warmer sound signature.

I made the move to streaming a few years back and thanks to the helpful folk here, it was a fairly painless transition comprising of a network attached storage device (NAS) to store the music ripped from my Mac, accessed and played via a Sonos connect via a decent DAC.

Enjoy!

SteveR750

My recommendation would be the Abrahamsen amp with a Cambridge audio dacmagic plus. For £1200 you've got the basis of a system that will permit use of significantly more expensive speakers. The amp is in a different league from the Roksan, and as good as any sub £4k amp I've heard.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
My recommendation would be the Abrahamsen amp with a Cambridge audio dacmagic plus. For £1200 you've got the basis of a system that will permit use of significantly more expensive speakers. The amp is in a different league from the Roksan, and as good as any sub £4k amp I've heard.

Plus one for the Abrahamsen

You really have to hear one before shelling out twice as much for something to come even half as near good.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

dap33

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
i had the plesure of demoing the spendor a5r with the abrahamsen amp and they sounded magnificent to my cloth ears at least *music2*

alwaysbeblue1 said:
For all your reply s so far. One question, how do I get to audition this Amplifer ?

The Abrahamsen? You'll probably need to know someone that's got one. :)

They are sold through an online shop or can be purchased through a poster on this forum. They may have a trial period where you can return it if you decide it's not for you. I am not certain though.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've found that Sugden and Naim pair very well with Spendor speakers.

If Sugden, I'd recommend the A21SE, though it will run very hot since it operates in pure class A.

If Naim, I've only every heard the Supernait 2 with Spendors, though over on the Naim forum, there are some who claim the Nait XS is better even though it is cheaper.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
alwaysbeblue1 said:
For all your reply s so far. One question, how do I get to audition this Amplifer ?

You can contact Colin from the link below and arrange a demo, possibly a home demo , he is a very helpful chap who will go out of his way to try and make an audition easy for you,.

Believe me when I say that it will be worth the time and effort to audition an Abrahamsen amp. *good*

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!abrahamsen-audio/ckbj

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts