Roksan Caspian M2 integrated amplifier hum

Slowcoach

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I hope some fellow Caspian M2 owners might be able to offer some advice. I recently purchased this item as an upgrade to the Kandy III integrated amp. Sound is excellent but the hum from the transformer is bothering me. Its a steady hum, unaffected by isolating the unit or running it from the neighbours' mains supply. It is noticeable on entering the room and can be heard some 10 to 12 feet away. Is this normal?

Roksan's technical department say this is not as it should be but having sent it to the supplier for testing/replacement it was simply returned with the note " Not fault found - hum with in normal levels (sic)".

If any forum members have this product I would really appreciate some opinions on what is 'normal' in terms of transformer hum from this or any other make for that matter.

Whilst the level of hum may be something I have to learn to live with, and possibly get used to switching off the mains supply when not in use, I am disappointed to find such an annoying tendency from what to me is a piece of fairly high end kit.

So if you can find a few minutes to put your ears to your amps it would be much appreciated.

Roksan Caspian M2 integrated amp>MF M1 DAC>Roksan Kandy III CD>Graham Slee HA>Leema Elements PS>RegaP7>Monitor Audio RS6

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi I had this problem with my m6i and I phoned musical fidelity who said mains noise was the problem I then phoned seven oaks who said bring it in they tightened the fixings on transformer which made a slight difference and the we comaired it to another amp they had in stock which was silent so they just gave me the new one and I love it:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) so I would suggest that you take it back for a new one you have paid your money and goods not fit for purpose I KNOW HOW ANOYING IT CAN BE WHEN YOU CAN HEAR THE AMP ABOVE THE MUSIC good luck if your dealers any good you will be ok

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You wouldn't accept that in a product costing £200, even less so with an amplifier of that price.

Return to seller for an exchange or else ask for a refund and choose something that doesn't hum would be my advise. -

regards

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Got mine running as I write and no noticeable hum.

I would take it back as suggested above and just get a replacement which doesn't hum.

Then just sit back and enjoy.

Slowcoach

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. Common sense suggests that this is a fault and that the unit should be replaced. I may have to take it back again and refuse to leave without a replacement. But before having to do that some advice on whether any amount of hum from the unit is normal. If people are saying that no amount of noise should be coming from the unit at all then that's one thing. But if a faint hum is normal I may have to take a view on it.....

SteveR750

Absolutely silent here. No hum at even full volume, apart from PC PSU burble, but that's not the amp. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to compare it to another one, in front of you.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Absolutely silent here. No hum at even full volume, apart from PC PSU burble, but that's not the amp. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to compare it to another one, in front of you.

+1 if you can hear the amp in your normal listening positionwhen no music is being played then its to noisy IMHO as SteveR750 says ask to listen to another unit side by side with yours I hope it all works out for you £1650 is a lot of loot

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I sympathize. Have been in that situation before when there's a fault that's difficult to prove. Can be a lot of hassle but the hum should be a straight forward swap, no question.

My Kandy K2 CD player had to go back to Roksan for an LCD replacement which was an obvious fault. A more tricky problem was the unit, on the rare occasion would ignore the odd remote command (both RMX-108 & 111). They said it was ' a very odd case' and the engineer could not replicate the fault. The IR receiver was replaced anyway. It still does it and I'm convinced all Roksan Kandy K2 CD players have the same problem because it happened on another unit in Richer Sounds.

Sorry to go off topic a bit. Hopefully your dealer will just swap the unit for another.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
You wouldn't accept that in a product costing £200, even less so with an amplifier of that price.

Return to seller for an exchange or else ask for a refund and choose something that doesn't hum would be my advise. -

regards

+1

I noticed using the remote the amp isn't as responsive as a digital receiver or a TV. All the selectors are relays and you can't click through them too fast, you need to hear the clicky sounds first. Also the motorized volume takes some time to get used to since it has a safety feature, it doesn't get suddenly loud if you hold it pushed (like when you accidentaly sit on it). You also have to aim at the amp to get the remote to send a signal. My Bang & Olufsen remotes could work 3 rooms away and were superbly responsive and made out of metal. (but very pricey)

gangus

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi

This might be worth a try.

Hum can be generated from ground loops causes by different components connected to different supply sources (or electrical circuits).

Are all your components and equipment connected to the same electrical power circuit and hence the same common earth/ground?

This applies to all your electrical equipment in the vicinity and not just your hifi equipment.

gangus

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi

This might be worth a try.

Hum can be generated from ground loops causes by different components connected to different supply sources (or electrical circuits).

Are all your components and equipment connected to the same electrical power circuit and hence the same common earth/ground?

This applies to all your electrical equipment in the vicinity and not just your hifi equipment.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:

regards

+1

Also the motorized volume takes some time to get used to since it has a safety feature

Didn't realize that. Just thought it was just a bit slow. I assume the Caspian and K2 both have this feature.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Another K2 amplifier owner here with rubbish, unresponsive remote. Not very happy but will live with it. Seems the norm rather than the exception..

Best wishes to the OP in getting a speedy replacement amp.

tomorr49

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I've read this thread with interest as I have have had intermittent problems with my Caspian amp since purchase in May 2013. Symptoms are loud hum from both speakers, even with volume turned right down, and weird 'electronic' noises rising and falling - very strange! Sent back to Roksan under warranty recently, but returned 'no fault found'. Is this the amp or some external interference? Comments gratefully received.

SteveR750

tomorr49 said:
I've read this thread with interest as I have have had intermittent problems with my Caspian amp since purchase in May 2013. Symptoms are loud hum from both speakers, even with volume turned right down, and weird 'electronic' noises rising and falling - very strange! Sent back to Roksan under warranty recently, but returned 'no fault found'. Is this the amp or some external interference? Comments gratefully received.

Take it back to the shop from where you purchased it, and ask them to listen to it, with you, and another one for comparison. If it's different then you can take this up with Roksan. IME the latter are extremely helpful and flexible with their warranty, so I'd be surprised if it was faulty, unless it's obviously been abused / damaged.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts