Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Advice on network/WiFi streaming needed.

Currently using a cheap and cheerful Google Chromecast (connected to Aux 1 of my recently acquired Marantz 7200) to access Spotify and occasionally web radio and a direct cable connection from my phone to access Apple Play - as Apple doesn’t work with Chromecast.

Apart from the faff, I would also like to (obviously) maximise sound quality, especially using lossless Apple Music files. As the 7200 predates streaming and doesn’t have a DAC, I am limited by the CCA and - especially - inbuilt iPhone DACs.

So I am thinking that for both sound quality and ease a network streamer with built in DAC could be the best solution and wondering which one to go for amongst the budget-friendly ones (Wiim Pro/Pro Plus or Node 2i - which I can find second hand at around the same price as the Wiim).

Thoughts?

Both have their advocates. Personally, I’d favour the Bluesound because they’re widely sold in dealerships and the app has a good following. I’m not sure Wiim has been around for long enough to be confident about longer term support.

Reactions: Entrigo

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Suspected as much. I’m drawn to the Bluenode as it’s supposedly higher end, so at £200 sounds good but then Wiim also gets rave reviews.

Would be good to hear from someone who tried both. There’s something online but not that much.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
True. Might see if I can pop in and have a play/demo them - though feel a bit bad as wouldn’t buy a new node anyway…
True. Might see if I can pop in and have a play/demo them - though feel a bit bad as wouldn’t buy a new node anyway…
RS and 7oaks both stock Wiim and Bluesound, the N130 node has a nice control panel but check the control apps as thats going to be your main interaction.

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Wiim are great... great bang for your buck. Many reviews observe little difference between the audio quality of the Node and the Wiim Pro Plus.

I'd go for the Wiim though as they are about to ship room correction in an upcoming update.

They also have a new device, the Wiim Ultra coming out in a few weeks. It has a screen and a DAC upgrade, as well as that room correction. Indications are it will be somewhere between the price of the Pro Plus and the Node.

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Wiim are great... great bang for your buck. Many reviews observe little difference between the audio quality of the Node and the Wiim Pro Plus.

I'd go for the Wiim though as they are about to ship room correction in an upcoming update.

They also have a new device, the Wiim Ultra coming out in a few weeks. It has a screen and a DAC upgrade, as well as that room correction. Indications are it will be somewhere between the price of the Pro Plus and the Node.
Yes! Just bought a nearly new Pro Plus for £150. Quite happy. Will update when I have had a play with it.

Reactions: njprrogers

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
Advice on network/WiFi streaming needed.

Currently using a cheap and cheerful Google Chromecast (connected to Aux 1 of my recently acquired Marantz 7200) to access Spotify and occasionally web radio and a direct cable connection from my phone to access Apple Play - as Apple doesn’t work with Chromecast.

Apart from the faff, I would also like to (obviously) maximise sound quality, especially using lossless Apple Music files. As the 7200 predates streaming and doesn’t have a DAC, I am limited by the CCA and - especially - inbuilt iPhone DACs.

So I am thinking that for both sound quality and ease a network streamer with built in DAC could be the best solution and wondering which one to go for amongst the budget-friendly ones (Wiim Pro/Pro Plus or Node 2i - which I can find second hand at around the same price as the Wiim).

Thoughts?
Hmmm a Marantz amp. So Marantz and Denon are the same company. Not familiar with your model. But if it's a recent one you should have access to the HEOS app, and it should also have airplay or airplay 2 built in? May need a firmware upgrade.

I have a Denon amp (and separate Denon speaker in a different room). The amp is connected to turntable , CD player , TV etc. I also have a Chrome cast Audio connected. Still the best value wireless streaming... at £60.

Presume you are familiar with the limitations of Spotify, in terms of audio quality. Airplay is OK, but there are problems with that too not being truly lossless. I use Airplay from an IPad to the separate speaker. It works well.

(I should say I have separate apple set up with a dac and headphones so get the desire to use Apple).

So investigate the HEOS /Airplay on your amp before shelling out on a new streamer.

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, have realised for a while Marantz and Denon were sister companies (or whatever the relationship is). But the PMA800NE and the 7200 are a world apart, despite the fact that the 7200 in today’s money would not be that much more expensive (if I remember correctly, I had worked it out at £700).

I am familiar with Spotify and AirPlay limitations hence tonight (after plugging in the freshly received Pro Plus) I went for a Tidal trial. The Marantz is too old to have any digital capabilities, hence I went for the Pro Plus (in excellent condition at £150 - pretty good value).

I have to admit, through the Pro Plus even Spotify sounds pretty good. Tidal Max edges it but, to my still green ears, only marginally. Just a smidgen fuller and punchier.

Anyway, re: the Pro Plus, was initially a little unsure but it is really growing. Not sure if it had to “settle” after transport and connection to a new HiFi (“hello, I am a tech heathen” haha) the sound is beautiful now.

Reactions: lakelandstu70

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
Yes, have realised for a while Marantz and Denon were sister companies (or whatever the relationship is). But the PMA800NE and the 7200 are a world apart, despite the fact that the 7200 in today’s money would not be that much more expensive (if I remember correctly, I had worked it out at £700).

I am familiar with Spotify and AirPlay limitations hence tonight (after plugging in the freshly received Pro Plus) I went for a Tidal trial. The Marantz is too old to have any digital capabilities, hence I went for the Pro Plus (in excellent condition at £150 - pretty good value).

I have to admit, through the Pro Plus even Spotify sounds pretty good. Tidal Max edges it but, to my still green ears, only marginally. Just a smidgen fuller and punchier.

Anyway, re: the Pro Plus, was initially a little unsure but it is really growing. Not sure if it had to “settle” after transport and connection to a new HiFi (“hello, I am a tech heathen” haha) the sound is beautiful now.
All that matters is whether you like it pal... it such a personal thing! I add a marantz amp and mission speakers years ago.. and they were awesome.. they got damaged 💔 and my set up had to compromise now as it's avr and av.

record_spot

Big advocate of the Wiim Pro Plus here. I think there' s a lot of hearsay thrown around about apps, but even longstanding manufacturers have their issues in providing a decent on.

The Wiim app is well put together, very stable, regular updates and works a treat. The Wiim sound you might not like - personally, I find it pretty average but pair it with a good external DAC (I use the Cambridge DACMagic 200M) and it's transformed into a pretty mighty combo. To the point that it's some of the best audio I've heard, full stop. Worth the outlay at full price, you'll usually get a good deal on an open box 200M (in practice, new and sealed) from Cambridge via their Ebay site.

Reactions: lakelandstu70

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
Big advocate of the Wiim Pro Plus here. I think there' s a lot of hearsay thrown around about apps, but even longstanding manufacturers have their issues in providing a decent on.

The Wiim app is well put together, very stable, regular updates and works a treat. The Wiim sound you might not like - personally, I find it pretty average but pair it with a good external DAC (I use the Cambridge DACMagic 200M) and it's transformed into a pretty mighty combo. To the point that it's some of the best audio I've heard, full stop. Worth the outlay at full price, you'll usually get a good deal on an open box 200M (in practice, new and sealed) from Cambridge via their Ebay site.
That's really useful thanks. I know the difference my Mojo 2 made when streaming from the Mac. Courtesy of your message I think I now have a new wish list 😄

Reactions: record_spot

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
All that matters is whether you like it pal... it such a personal thing! I add a marantz amp and mission speakers years ago.. and they were awesome.. they got damaged 💔 and my set up had to compromise now as it's avr and av.
Yes exactly. I remember my brother saying how great the Denon sounded, while I was a bit nonplussed.
Sad to hear about the damage but it sounds like you have found a new happy setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts