Roksan cas m2, hegel h160 or hegel røst for pmc 23?

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Which one of these amplifiers would sound best with the pmc 23´s?

The 23´s are a superb little standmount, but they are a bit "bass light" in my opnion. So maybe the hegel h160/røst would give a slight more bass punch than the roksan caspian m2 which is often paired with the pmc 23´s. Detail is ofcourse also important, so how detailed would the the hegel h160/pmc combo be. I have heard the pmc roksan combo and it sounded nice and detailed, i have not heard the pmc/hegel setup.

So hegel pmc owners or anyone who has heard the combination, share your thoughts!!

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Which one of these amplifiers would sound best with the pmc 23´s?

The 23´s are a superb little standmount, but they are a bit "bass light" in my opnion. So maybe the hegel h160/røst would give a slight more bass punch than the roksan caspian m2 which is often paired with the pmc 23´s. Detail is ofcourse also important, so how detailed would the the hegel h160/pmc combo be. I have heard the pmc roksan combo and it sounded nice and detailed, i have not heard the pmc/hegel setup.

So hegel pmc owners or anyone who has heard the combination, share your thoughts!!

PMC Twenty 22's as these are the larger of the two stand mounted monitors?

I had Roksan amplification with my 23's when I owned them but not the Roksan range you mention...

I was consider an upgrade to Hegel but as you can see from my signiture went in an entirely different direction.

Hope that someone else can be more helpful.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Never heard your suggested hegel/pmc system but if you already find the well damped PMC bass light I wouldn't use an amp with high damping factor and reported 'dry' sound. It could end up expensive.

Maybe a nice punchy valve amp or a Naim?

drummerman said:
Never heard your suggested hegel/pmc system but if you already find the well damped PMC bass light I wouldn't use an amp with high damping factor and reported 'dry' sound. It could end up expensive.

Maybe a nice punchy valve amp or a Naim?

Nice idea. Even better is a Bryston if your budget allows. I 'll bet nobody knows about the Rost yet. ;-)

Like drummerman, I would suggest Naim. They deliberately add something in the output to give a poor damping factor, which may account for their 'bouncy' sound. It certainly works well with PMC, and I've heard various combinations of these makes sounding good.

That said though I tend to be wary of 'two wrongs...' when matching audio. And as mentioned above, the 23s are the floor standers with the smaller bass unit.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Like drummerman, I would suggest Naim. They deliberately add something in the output to give a poor damping factor, which may account for their 'bouncy' sound.  It certainly works well with PMC, and I've heard various combinations of these makes sounding good.

That said though I tend to be wary of 'two wrongs...' when matching audio.  And as mentioned above, the 23s are the floor standers with the smaller bass unit. 

If you go for naim then your under subjection to their interpretation of the recording which may or may not sound good.

Imo stay as loyal to the recording as possible whether its good or bad. No colour please. Rant over for now.

But if loyalty is what your after go for hegel or likewise.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Chr78

I don't want to state the obvious however as the Rost is due to land in the UK in a few weeks the best thing is to wait and then try and listen to the amplifiers with the PMC 23's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

the OP has the 22's. Not that it will make much difference... but he's vanished from his own thread.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
No no 23´s
wink_smile.gif
I meant floorstanders instead of stand mount. Sorry.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Rick

i know the H160 has higher quoted power than the Rost, but what are the main differences, given that they are quite similar price-wise?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts