Question Rogers Studio 1 Speakers - T27

Clifftoon

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
Hi All

I have a lovely pair of Rogers Studio 1's that had been in good dry storage for a few years. Listening to them recently though, i'm not sure I can hear any output from the Kef T27 Tweeters.

Im 51 years old, and my ears are good to 14000HZ.

My question is this, would it be obvious if the tweeters where not working, or might my ears not be picking the high frequencies up?

Also, to test a tweeter - do I just test the resistance across it??

thanks

Gray

Hi All

I have a lovely pair of Rogers Studio 1's that had been in good dry storage for a few years. Listening to them recently though, i'm not sure I can hear any output from the Kef T27 Tweeters.

Im 51 years old, and my ears are good to 14000HZ.

My question is this, would it be obvious if the tweeters where not working, or might my ears not be picking the high frequencies up?

Also, to test a tweeter - do I just test the resistance across it??

thanks
Hi to you and welcome (y)

If you can hear to 14kHz you're lucky and yes, it should be obvious to you whether or not the T27s are working.

Looks like you could meter them from the front, where the leadout wires go through rivets.

But best to do what he's doing here - disconnect one wire of each driver to check the reading. Hopefully your crossovers are in better condition than his.

You'll see that he's planning to fit binding posts, which you could also do (if yours only have the XLR connector):
View: https://youtu.be/AQlRoQlfJDM?t=545

Clifftoon

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
Hi There

thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated. That video was very useful

I (maybe incorrectly) measured the resistance directly across the T27 , and it came out at 6.5 ohms. Which I think means it's not blown?

I might try and find a local tinkerer who can have a play with the crossovers, which do look in pretty good nick TBH :)

thanks again

marc

Reactions: Gray
Hi There

thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated. That video was very useful

I (maybe incorrectly) measured the resistance directly across the T27 , and it came out at 6.5 ohms. Which I think means it's not blown?

I might try and find a local tinkerer who can have a play with the crossovers, which do look in pretty good nick TBH :)

thanks again

marc
Usually a tweeter crosses over between 1.5 and 3kHz and you can easily hear below 8-10kHz even if you’re much older - like me.** Just put on something with regular cymbal crashes - like the evergreen Take Five.

But 50 years is a long time for any tweeter, so they might be shot. Or some component in the crossover has expired.

**just realised the T27 might be used as a super tweeter here, so less easy to hear!

Gray

**just realised the T27 might be used as a super tweeter here, so less easy to hear!
Yes, you'd think that must be the reason for 2 tweeters in each cab.
When briefly checking specs, I saw the Celestion HF-1300 described as a super tweeter.
Don't think I saw higher than 22kHz quoted for either though - maybe that was a supertweerer back then.

Isn't an add-on supertweeter up to about 50, or even100kHz these days?

Clifftoon

Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
i was wondering if it was too high a frequency, but I can't hear a single thing with my ears up close.
Not sure what frequency they kick in, but id imagine its way down in the voice ranges.
Funny that they've both gone - but maybe its time to have the circuit boards checked

i shall report back

thanks

Yes, you'd think that must be the reason for 2 tweeters in each cab.
When briefly checking specs, I saw the Celestion HF-1300 described as a super tweeter.
Don't think I saw higher than 22kHz quoted for either though - maybe that was a supertweerer back then.

Isn't an add-on supertweeter up to about 50, or even100kHz these days?
Yes, that bizarre tweeter duplication probably made sense 50 years ago, but Harbeth still do it the the SHL5 series, and probably the various BBC clones/copies do likewise.

I recall a Celestion HF2000 that was presumably superior to the 1300, and I never really liked the KEF T27, so heaven knows why they’re still copied when there are dozens of superior designs. Well, actually they’re copied because on the never-ending fascination with the LS3/5am which is beyond reason imo!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts