Ripping CD to NAS on BluRay…

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a question for my soon-to-be future set up:

If I have Sony BluRay player and NAS connected to Marantz NR1504 amp , how can I rip off my CDs on the BluRay and store on the NAS ?
I can’t see a feature on the Marantz to pass digital out to anything other than the TV ? Does the NR1604 do this ?

Maybe there is a better way to do this ?

I have a Yamaha RX-V667 currently and cant see that that can do it either !

Thanks

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
you need a computer to do it. Pretty much any computer with a cd drive will be fine.

various bits of software such as itunes (if you're an apple eco system person). dbpoweramp, eac etc...

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If the NAS has software , ie Synology , dont I just need to feed the signal into the NAS . Seems daft to have to buy another player when theres a perfectly good one in the BluRay ! There must be a way ? I feel a song coming on......

Hmm, thinking cap on, methinks ....

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
nope, a computer will have to be involved at some point in order to rip the data from the cd to a format that can then be stored on the nas.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Nope, you need a computer or dedicated tipping device to convert the CD into files you can store on the NAS. The NAS has no way of taking data coming off the disc in real-time and converting it into files it can store.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Nope, you need a computer or dedicated tipping device to convert the CD into files you can store on the NAS. The NAS has no way of taking data coming off the disc in real-time and converting it into files it can store.

Unless of course you bought a RipNAS or something of that ilk.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
spiny norman said:

....which is a computer running dbpoweramp.

edit - just looked in to it a bit more, and I'll revise what I said. It's a computer with off the shelf parts and an immense mark up running dbpoweramp.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
The_Lhc said:
spiny norman said:

....which is a computer running dbpoweramp.

edit - just looked in to it a bit more, and I'll revise what I said. It's a computer with off the shelf parts and an immense mark up running dbpoweramp.

Seems to be about par for the course really with those sort of devices, I did enjoy the one that claimed it ripped and presented the files in a manner "optimised" for Sonos, which is basically standard 16-bit FLAC and standard SMB/CIFS sharing, there's nothing to optimise!

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I will need a 'pc' to rip to first then copy to the NAS. Not a problem as my son is in IT and will build it for me . I just try to keep the boxes down or the missus has a hissy fit .....Thats why I'm changing the AV amp to a slimline .

Thanks guys.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Seems to be about par for the course really with those sort of devices, I did enjoy the one that claimed it ripped and presented the files in a manner "optimised" for Sonos, which is basically standard 16-bit FLAC and standard SMB/CIFS sharing, there's nothing to optimise!

aye, am still a wee bit shocked at the mark up to be honest, almost 3 x :O

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
goalhanger said:
Ok so I will need a 'pc' to rip to first then copy to the NAS. Not a problem as my son is in IT and will build it for me . I just try to keep the boxes down or the missus has a hissy fit .....Thats why I'm changing the AV amp to a slimline .

Thanks guys.

a laptop with a cd drive would be ifine if space is an issue...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
goalhanger said:

Thanks guys.

a laptop with a cd drive would be ifine if space is an issue...

And you can configure it to rip directly to the NAS so you don't need to faff around copy files about.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
goalhanger said:
Ok so I will need a 'pc' to rip to first then copy to the NAS. Not a problem as my son is in IT and will build it for me.

While he's at it, why not get him to build it with a couple of large-capacity HDDs aboard, mirrored in RAID (so the same data is is written to both to allow recovery in case of drive failure), and then turn it into a NAS with software such as FreeNAS?

That way your ripping PC becomes your NAS, and you don't need a separate box.

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
spiny norman said:
goalhanger said:
Ok so I will need a 'pc' to rip to first then copy to the NAS. Not a problem as my son is in IT and will build it for me.

While he's at it, why not get him to build it with a couple of large-capacity HDDs aboard, mirrored in RAID (so the same data is is written to both to allow recovery in case of drive failure), and then turn it into a NAS with software such as FreeNAS?

Ah ha but what happens when both drives fail; he looses the lot? A RAID configuration would give him continuity but will not replace his music which would have took him ages to rip.

My view has always been that I do not see the point in having a RAID set up on a home network in place of a backup. A mistake often made but RAID should never be viewed in this manner.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
rs6mra said:
spiny norman said:
goalhanger said:

Ah ha but what happens when both drives fail; he looses the lot? A RAID configuration would give him continuity but will not replace his music which would have took him ages to rip.

My view has always been that I do not see the point in having a RAID set up on a home network in place of a backup. A mistake often made but RAID should never be viewed in this manner.

You are right about having a backup but the probability of both drives failing at the same time is slim (that's the whole point of RAID after all). I've never heard of it happening in 20-odd years in IT.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
You are right about having a backup but the probability of both drives failing at the same time is slim (that's the whole point of RAID after all). I've never heard of it happening in 20-odd years in IT.

I've seen it happen a few times. Usually power surges. that and when IBM released their "deathstar" drives....

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
rs6mra said:
spiny norman said:
goalhanger said:

Believe me it does happen and about 10 days ago friends in another village close to where I live not only had that happen to them due to the same power surge but at the sametime lost their router & broadband during heavy storms. The wife has since been working at the local farm shop and buying umpteen cups of coffee as BT have yet to sort it out.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
rs6mra said:
The_Lhc said:
rs6mra said:
spiny norman said:
goalhanger said:

Believe me it does happen and about 10 days ago friends in another village close to where I live not only had that happen to them due to the same power surge but at the sametime lost their router & broadband during heavy storms. The wife has since been working at the local farm shop and buying umpteen cups of coffee as BT have yet to sort it out.

Are you sure it was the drives that failed and not the enclosure?

It's still no reason not to have a RAID configuration, you just need a backup as well.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Interesting . My son has suggested a box from someone like Silverstone although I like the look of the Aerocool :)

And he agrees a small pc is best with all in one box. Straight out, HDMI to the AV amp. That will then , with a good Blu-ray drive , rip anything I want off and also be able to download from where-ever. Also store ITunes on there for the Ipod . Will obviously need enough storage for saving both ITunes and Flac but storage is the cheapest bit .

I wont even tell the missus I'll just get him to build it and plug it in when she's out . Do you think I might get a thumping on her return :?

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Will look at the back-up system , maybe a simple external hard drive . I dont but CDs everyweek so not a regular thing.

Also , what about a seperate sound card ? Is this necessary ? This is not my sons expertise so need advice on that .

Ta

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
goalhanger said:
Will look at the back-up system , maybe a simple external hard drive . I dont but CDs everyweek so not a regular thing.

Also , what about a seperate sound card ? Is this necessary ? This is not my sons expertise so need advice on that .

Ta

try going from the hdmi from the computer in to the amp as you suggest and see how it sounds to you. If it's not to your taste, then maybe a discreet usb dac (so the missus can't see it) would be a good way to go. Either way, get the pc sorted and see how you get on first I'd say.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hence my suggestion of having the drives mirrored rather than striping the content across both. The chances of simultaneous failure of both drives are slim unless there's an outside effect such as power surge, lightning strike, catastrophic flood or fire, thermonuclear strike or whatever. But agreed that a separate backup should also be kept; I just didn't wan't to terrify the OP at this early stage by suggesting even more quipment and complication would be needed.

However, I did only say the mirrored drives were in case of a drive failure; I didn't for one moment suggest RAID was a backup, or should be used in place of one.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Guess what - another question....

If there is a decent blu-ray transport in the pc/storage ( media centre ) and sound card then I wont need a seperate Blu-ray player will I . But how does quality compare ? I have a Sony BDP-S360 currently and so dont want to go down in quality .

The missus will be pleased with even less on show .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts