Ripped file sizes, what size NAS?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to make the move to a digital music server soon and would like to know peoples experiences and thoughts on hard drive capacities.

I have in excess of 800 CD's which I intend to rip lossless, probably FLAC and I have roughly estimated 1TB, with room for plenty of expansion.

In addition would the files just be stored as FLAC files on a bare formatted drive, or do I need an operating system installed and again, is any other software required? My initial plan is to go the Squeezebox Duet/Touch route.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

manicm

The audio format won't depend on the hard drive format or OS - largely. The media server will - but most if not all support FLAC for example. iTunes as a server won't support FLAC of-course.

Don't worry!

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Overdose:
I have in excess of 800 CD's which I intend to rip lossless, probably FLAC and I have roughly estimated 1TB, with room for plenty of expansion.

800CD's ripped to lossless will take up 300-350Gig, so the 1TB will be plenty of room.

A

Anonymous

A CD can hold maximum 700mb music in wav format (80 min uncompressed music), so 800x700 will be 560 000 mb, just little bit over a half of 1TB drive. Probably save them as wav files will be better because they will not give an extra workload for player. Maybe it does not matter for a Squeezebox, I don't know.

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
In case it helps, i've just spent parts of the last couple evening adding a Netgear ReadyNas to my existing squeezebox setup.

I think i've now got it nailed following a few teething issues. I'm definitely going to fall asleep before i know for sure. But i'll be sleeping with my fingers crossed.

So if i can be of any help, please ask away.

(If nothing else, i've installed a new shower in the upstairs bathroom during waiting times for music library scans...)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. One 1TB NAS on the shopping list. Now to decide whether a music player/DAC combo or all in one system for the next step..........

As one question is answered, several more appear.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts