Ripp-off Hifi

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
It really is no hardship using NVA cables with NVA amps as they are very good value and are excellent cables in their own right.

Of course NVA makes a profit on the products as he is running a business. I very much doubt he is keeping the dealer's margin to himself and I would be more than happy to put my system up against anything anyone on here has regardless of price.

I can't say I've ever had my HiFi pick up the local taxi rank... The only sound I get is music!

I wouldn't bother James. I've actually heard your system in my home and it was superb.

How are those speaker mods going?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Daniel Quinn said:
Disengenous - they have a re-sale value .

And there is no obligation in respect of interconnects .

This forum appears to be say what you want sod the truth central . Very slack .

says you who turns up out of nowhere and joins to just to slag it off.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
james_LR90 said:
It really is no hardship using NVA cables with NVA amps as they are very good value and are excellent cables in their own right.

Of course NVA makes a profit on the products as he is running a business. I very much doubt he is keeping the dealer's margin to himself and I would be more than happy to put my system up against anything anyone on here has regardless of price.

I can't say I've ever had my HiFi pick up the local taxi rank... The only sound I get is music!

?

I wouldn't bother James. I've actually heard your system in my home and it was superb.?

How are those speaker mods going?

?

Hi David. Funny you should mention the speakers as I finished them today! I will be having a good listen to them over the weekend. I'm still happy to bring them round to yours along with my HiFi sometime if you like?

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
When you are talking small scale manufacturers the price can seem steep but they can't come close to matching the really big corps when it comes to economy of scale. They really do have to provide top quality products, build and sound wise though otherwise you're as well saving 75% and buying from one of the big corps.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
shadders said:
eggontoast said:
What a strange bunch you all are.

You all moan about the cost of new Hi-Fi and how much it has gone up in recent years, but some alleged 'technical genius' puts up a webpage and charges you a couple of hundred quid to change a few caps and that's reasonable *wacko*

What about all the R&D, sourcing of components, testing and approvals verification for different parts of the world, manufacturing setup and production engineering, distribution and warranty costs that the poor manufacturer has to pay out. This is before paying any wages, business taxes, national insurances contributions etc etc and you lot want to pay a fiver for the end product, then you wonder why they’ve skimped on a display or made it in outta Mongolia.
Hi,

I am not sure of the demographics for the forum, but hifi does seem to be an older persons pursuit.

I do sometimes get the impression we are becoming a nation of brats. So many of the younger generation believe it is ok to download music illegally and defraud the artist of necessary income.

Everyone must have a smartphone that costs quite a bit of money, and then upgrade to the next one a few years later at similar cost. Yet a hifi amplifier or other, will provide years of enjoyment and yet there are complaints that the final cost is approaching the cost of two smartphones (upper end of the smartphone market).

As stated by eggontoast, the effort and "other" costs that allow a piece of equipment to reach market are significant.

Alternatively, perhaps people are too stupid to know the value of manufactured goods.

Regards,

Shadders.

It all comes down to numbers. Samsung will shift gazillions of phones while some HiFi company will shift a couple of thousand amplifiers. You get far more for your money from a phone than from an amp which really only does one thing. The younger generation has access to a music collection us old farts could only dream about, streaming through their phones.

HiFi generally is for the old farts who have settled down.

I find many old farts think it was ok to rob other nations of their wealth, defrauding the locals of necessary income all in the name of Empire. The only difference today is it's the poor robbing the rich instead of the other way around back in the days of Empire.

Daniel Quinn

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Daniel Quinn said:
The picture is mischeviosuly of an NVA amp from the 80/90's .

if you feel the picture is not representative of a current NVA amplifier & is somewhat misleading, please feel free to post an up to date one.

Not my job . You made a fallacious and disengenous comparison. I pointed this out . End of .

Daniel Quinn

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Daniel Quinn said:

You appear to have interprated "pointing out of a few factual inaccuracies" with "slagging off"

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Daniel Quinn said:

He has to Major..he is "the Don Quixote of hifi fora" after all.....

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Daniel Quinn said:
Seems to me a lot of comment with insufficient consideration .

Quality is a nebulous noun .

NVA is not for everyone , it is designed with a less is better philopshy and it is for people seeking the best sound quality possible for any given outlay of money . If you are one of those people , then using any other cable would be nonesenical as the amps are designed for use with the cable . It is analagous to buying a Ferrari and sticking a ford mondeo engine in it .

It is perfectly acceptable for people to have other priorties or buying preferances .

Anybody else have to look up the word nebulous? I did and shall now use it on a regular basis.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Daniel Quinn said:
eggontoast said:
Daniel Quinn said:

if you feel the picture is not representative of a current NVA amplifier & is somewhat misleading, please feel free to post an up to date one.

Not my job . You made a fallacious and disengenous comparison. I pointed this out . End of .

Also looked up fallacious. Daniel Quinn you have today educated me. I thank you sir.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I quite like the unusual thinking with NVA products, their internal build, component quality and their simplistic looks.

As with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages.

Never heard them mind.

Are their casings plastic?

If so, the only thing I would say that despite the relatively neat and straight wiring twisting them along their length would provide a modicum of RF rejection. Some manufacturers such as Perraux even pull the ribbons apart to twist them. - As is there must be a reasonable possibility of picking up interference and NVA components probably should be well separated too.

I may be wrong witht the casing material.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Daniel Quinn said:

What a predictable response Mr Quinn, I would have had a wager on that answer.

There is nothing fallacious and disingenuous about the picture posted. It is of an NVA amplifier, it might be a slightly older model but the build and design approach has not changed for later models. I have not written or posted anything which is untrue or deceitful, just facts.

With your sudden sign up to the forum and the nature of your posts, one can only assume you have an affiliation with NVA and possibly the OED.

shadders

Jota180 said:
shadders said:
eggontoast said:

You all moan about the cost of new Hi-Fi and how much it has gone up in recent years, but some alleged 'technical genius' puts up a webpage and charges you a couple of hundred quid to change a few caps and that's reasonable *wacko*

What about all the R&D, sourcing of components, testing and approvals verification for different parts of the world, manufacturing setup and production engineering, distribution and warranty costs that the poor manufacturer has to pay out. This is before paying any wages, business taxes, national insurances contributions etc etc and you lot want to pay a fiver for the end product, then you wonder why they’ve skimped on a display or made it in outta Mongolia.
Hi,

I am not sure of the demographics for the forum, but hifi does seem to be an older persons pursuit.

I do sometimes get the impression we are becoming a nation of brats. So many of the younger generation believe it is ok to download music illegally and defraud the artist of necessary income.

Everyone must have a smartphone that costs quite a bit of money, and then upgrade to the next one a few years later at similar cost. Yet a hifi amplifier or other, will provide years of enjoyment and yet there are complaints that the final cost is approaching the cost of two smartphones (upper end of the smartphone market).

As stated by eggontoast, the effort and "other" costs that allow a piece of equipment to reach market are significant.

Alternatively, perhaps people are too stupid to know the value of manufactured goods.

Regards,

Shadders.

It all comes down to numbers. Samsung will shift gazillions of phones while some HiFi company will shift a couple of thousand amplifiers. You get far more for your money from a phone than from an amp which really only does one thing. The younger generation has access to a music collection us old farts could only dream about, streaming through their phones.

I find many old farts think it was ok to rob other nations of their wealth, defrauding the locals of necessary income all in the name of Empire. The only difference today is it's the poor robbing the rich instead of the other way around back in the days of Empire.
Hi,

younger peoples access to much more music is based on theft - illegal downloads. The change is that it is more accessible, and you can define through streamed services your genre to be listened to. "OLD" people now have the same choice, but I expect prefer to purchase the title rather than illegal download.

agreed, a smartphone can do so much more than an amplifier, but at what quality, and the battery lasts 1 day? I have seen a review where the latest Motorola smartphone positive point was that the charge lasted nearly 1 day. So I don't have a smartphone, only an old 2G where the battery charge lasts 1 week.

For music on the go, I have a portable player designed for the job.

With regards to the empire, no one old thinks of the empire as you have inferred. What does seem to be forgotten is that 99% of the UK were ruled by the ruling class and we did not personally benefit. This was the reason for the start of the Labour movement in the 20th century. Don't blame the UK for the behaviour of the few. I don't think the poor are robbing the rich.

Regards,

Shadders.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Jota180 said:
while some HiFi company will shift a couple of thousand amplifiers

Most hi-fi companies would consider themselves very lucky to shift products in that kind of quantity. Take it down an order of magnitude and you may be nearer to the truth in most cases.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Jota180 said:
shadders said:
eggontoast said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

younger peoples access to much more music is based on theft - illegal downloads. The change is that it is more accessible, and you can define through streamed services your genre to be listened to. "OLD" people now have the same choice, but I expect prefer to purchase the title rather than illegal download.

agreed, a smartphone can do so much more than an amplifier, but at what quality, and the battery lasts 1 day? I have seen a review where the latest Motorola smartphone positive point was that the charge lasted nearly 1 day. So I don't have a smartphone, only an old 2G where the battery charge lasts 1 week.

For music on the go, I have a portable player designed for the job.

With regards to the empire, no one old thinks of the empire as you have inferred. What does seem to be forgotten is that 99% of the UK were ruled by the ruling class and we did not personally benefit. This was the reason for the start of the Labour movement in the 20th century. Don't blame the UK for the behaviour of the few. I don't think the poor are robbing the rich.

Regards,

Shadders.

I think most "youngsters" generally stream nowadays. Illegally downloading is a little old hat when you can legally get the same thing for free from the likes of Spotify.

"Old farts" (like myself) used to tape albums off one another which was just as bad as illegally downloading. Actually it was worse considering that the CD/record/tape we were copying actually had copyright stamped on it and a warning that what we were doing was illegal!

The music industry has been forced through a massive change over the past decade or so because of illegal downloading. Streaming sites like Spotify and iTunes are seen as the big bad wolf by many but actually they are probably going to be remembered as the pioneers who saved the music industry by bringing about the death of most physical media.

If you kill the physical media then you kill the rip. Kill the rip and you kill the illegal upload/download. I love my CD's but if it dies as a media, streaming takes over, and the recording artists get paid then normal service resumes and music keeps being made.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts