Question Right Channel on Turntable often cutting off.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DCarmi

I've done that, problem move to left channel. Logic says yes it's right RCA channel, but when powering preamp of and on again problem disappear for while. I don't believe it's MC cartridge problem related.
You tested your MM cartridge, through then amp's phono? You get no problems from other sources e.g. CD?

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
For sure, problem is not in the amp. Like a wrote, if i reconnecting turntable RCA lead, problem disappear for while. I think Issues are on turtnable side or preamp side.
Tomorrow i'll swap cartridges and we'll see. Fingers crossed.
I just talk with service man from rega dealer and he says probably issue is "cold conector" in preamp. Testing without preamp will tell more.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
The same thing known to others as a 'dry joint'.
I wonder if he knows it to be a common fault on the model - if so, other owners would have reported it......certainly ties in with your symptom.
You're getting closer to a resolution........
Dry joint? thanks for update, i didn't know how translate it :)
Even when i have doubts about phono preamp faulty he was sure. Few moments ago right channel cut off again, i touch gently power button and channel was back. i'm More confident about faulty preamp :)

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

By cold connector he might actually be talking about those inter-PCB connectors where the ribbon cables push in.
A dry joint is a soldering problem. Either way, it seems he knows what the cause might be.
So no need for you to be concerned about them not finding a problem.
Good luck, let us know the final outcome.

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
A pal had this problem with technics 1210 and was the cartridge, I'd check that first

I've repaired a lot of music equipment over the years and the first thing I do is check/resolder the joints for the offending socket/switch/dial/moving part. If its an old preamp I'd be tempted to open it up and check the RCA socket. Constant plugging/unplugging over the years knackers anything with sockets mounted directly to a PCB

Gray

A pal had this problem with technics 1210 and was the cartridge, I'd check that first

I've repaired a lot of music equipment over the years and the first thing I do is check/resolder the joints for the offending socket/switch/dial/moving part. If its an old preamp I'd be tempted to open it up and check the RCA socket. Constant plugging/unplugging over the years knackers anything with sockets mounted directly to a PCB
Good idea to read more than just the last few posts in the thread Longhchops.
You'll see that it's because it's not old that he won't be opening it up (y).

Reactions: Al ears

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Good idea to read more than just the last few posts in the thread Longhchops.
You'll see that it's because it's not old that he won't be opening it up (y).

haha. In my defence this is quite a difficult thread to follow!

My advice stands though. Someone will have to open it up to verify this fault. You can't expect someone to sit there for 14+ days playing with something waiting for the fault to occur. And even if it does, then if the fault is a cracked joint on the RCA terminals (say) there is literally no other way to verify it.

Its a catch 22 situation, if you want to get the fault repaired under warranty then you have to prove it is there first. Intermittent faults are tricky....

Reactions: Gray

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys, Recently i have problem with my Rega Planar 8. No Audio on Right channel. After reattaching RCA from turntable to phono preamp, everything works properly (after 2 tryouts) then next day or day after same issue. I must reattaching cables again for both channels working properly. i've tried reattached wires on cartridge, same issues. Swapping channels on preamp inputs left channel -no sound. Then swapping again everything works properly. Phono preamp issues? Issues happening after turning on. Never during listening session. Any advice guys?
After reading the conversation I would suggest a faulty connection ('dry joint') somewhere in the cable chain from cart to pre-amp. That would make the fault on the turntable, though if both from same dealer, I would agree with taking both back and saying 'you fix it'.

Reactions: DCarmi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts