Ribbon tweeter experiences and thoughts

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've recently been thinking that the very high frequency response (ribbon tweeter technology) of my Monitor Audio GX50 is giving me increasing sensitivity to high frequencies. By that I mean when I hear very high frequencies it can sometimes feel skull piercing and uncomfortable. This isn't just when listening to music.

I bought the GX50 about 3 years ago to replace my RX2. It was an upgrade. In the last year I've been listening to the GX50 more than the first two years.

Today I swapped back in the RX2 and although the highs are not so clear and precise as the GX50, I'm finding that I don't have my hearing sensitivity playing up.

What are other forum readers experiences / verdicts on ribbon tweeters?

The RX2 are 6 ohm and seem just a little empty / muted compared to the tight and focussed GX50. But vocals sound more natural than the GX50. The large 8" driver isn't as clear on mids as the GX50.

As I'm bi-wiring I'm wondering whether to wire up only the RX tweeter for high and the only the GX for mid/bass.

Does that seem a daft idea?

Would there be an amplifier issue given the RX is 6 ohm and the GX is 8 ohm?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
A few years ago I had Dali Ikon 6 speakers that had ribbon tweeters and found them too "shrill" for my taste and tiring after a while but not to the extent you describe.

iceman16

adamrobertshaw said:
I've recently been thinking that the very high frequency response (ribbon tweeter technology) of my Monitor Audio GX50 is giving me increasing sensitivity to high frequencies. By that I mean when I hear very high frequencies it can sometimes feel skull piercing and uncomfortable. This isn't just when listening to music.

I bought the GX50 about 3 years ago to replace my RX2. It was an upgrade. In the last year I've been listening to the GX50 more than the first two years.

Today I swapped back in the RX2 and although the highs are not so clear and precise as the GX50, I'm finding that I don't have my hearing sensitivity playing up.

The RX2 are 6 ohm and seem just a little empty / muted compared to the tight and focussed GX50. But vocals sound more natural than the GX50. The large 8" driver isn't as clear on mids as the GX50.

As I'm bi-wiring I'm wondering whether to wire up only the RX tweeter for high and the only the GX for mid/bass.

I think Cyrus and Monitor audio is not a very good match. I have heard the GX50 with Rega brio-r, Apollo-r and dac and was really impressed.

Adam, I don't think that combining both speakers will work, if that is what you are considering.

As to ribbon speakers, they are, in my experience, generally smoother than cone or dome types. If anything they sound less strong but more detailed in a subtle way. I cannot speak for MAs though, so I think the matching points raised by others may be a factor. Without spending more money, can you alleviate your discomfort by crossing the speaker axis sharply or beaming them past your ears? Or adding some blinds, curtains, or rugs to absorb some reflections?

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the Chord DAC increased the issue. But I won't trade away the detail it brought.

So I might have a listen to the ATC SCM7/11 and the new CM1/5 S2 and see if dealer will consider a trade-in deal. I chucked the GX50 box though :eek:(

Probably time I got the GP to book me into the ear clinic too.

The LS50 (gloss black and orange) would look odd in my house but thanks for the suggestion.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Give the Roksan Kandy TR-5 a listen. Not much bass there, but you might like the ribbon tweeters. I auditioned them and I had hearing fatigue immediatly noticable. Despite the sweet larger than life vocal reproduction, I just can't use them playing loud more than 30-60 min. I have tinnitus so I can't really blame the speakers.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've put the GX50 into where the RX2 came from ... front left / right in my 5.1 system. So no silly buggers will be attempted in the way I suggested.

All my cast off stand mounts have ended up in my 5.1 system. I have my old 685 as the rear left / right.

I've got some CM1 gathering dust. I'm remembering just how more current the 6 ohm RX2 is drawing. So much louder compared to 8 ohms I'm generally used to. I'll pop them into my set up and see how they sound after so long.

I seem to be going round in a circle speaker-wise :eek:(

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
The LS50 (gloss black and orange) would look odd in my house but thanks for the suggestion.

Other suggestions, in case it's helpful:

Kef R300

Tannoy Precision 6.1

Paradigm Studio 10

Taga Platinum S-40SE (this speaker is great vfm at £599, but hard to find)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Chord + Cyrus + MA are all "detail driven", forward sounding components...so when put together, could tip the scales into fatigue.

I think you should find speakers that offset the forward balance a bit.....I think the Kef LS50s would work well.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
My GP thinks I've got tinnitus or just damaged hearing from high frequencies.

Time to find out what it is.

For someone with damaged hearing, it is even more important to have a system that is clear and is easy to listen to.

I would personally consider trying some good active speakers in your system, fed from your integrated amp in your sig. Selling your existing power amps and speakers would enable you to increase your budget if you liked the result.

Quested, Genelec and AVI would be my first ports of call.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
adamrobertshaw said:

Other suggestions, in case it's helpful:

Kef R300

Tannoy Precision 6.1

Paradigm Studio 10

Taga Platinum S-40SE (this speaker is great vfm at £599, but hard to find)

Good tip. I have the R300's, bought after auditioning MA GX100's, which although were very revealing, were at times painful to listen to. Totally different in character, but more to my taste. Definitely worth a listen.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My system is put together to be a 'gentle, easy sound', silk tweeters, transmission line cabinets, valve amp. I did not realise I had problems untill I started looking at room resonances. I put up temporary blankets (double size folded in 4), according to the mirror test, what a revelation. Took the temporary damping down and imediatly could hear the cacophany of reflections that I thought was music!

To fix it permanantly will cost me less than £200.

Do some reserch, and testing, I'm sure there will be advise from other members on how and where. So far, to improve the sound I listen to has cost me nothing as a 'bodge up', the real thing will come soon.

CJSF

adamrobertshaw said:

Right, I've heard MA GX100s with an all cyrus set-up at the dealers. I'm a huge MA fanboy but limited experience of ribbons generally because most I've heard can veer a little too far into brightness. On that same ocassion, I had the RX6 playing from the Cyrus and the RX6s IMHO were more of an easy listen.

Looking at your sig I notice you also have PMCs, and although the ribbon tweeter has its own distinct talents: Wonderful clarity and punchy higher midrange, they can be, with certain music a little OTT, unless you listen to them in total isolation.

For me Cyrus and MAs have never been confortable partners, producing a presentation that's too challenging.

Speakers to look at: Deffo Dynaudio Excite X14 would be my first choice with Cyrus, PMC 'i' series (only available s/hand or ex-dem), Totem Rainmakers are worth a listen or look for a good s/hand pair of the old Gold series: GS10s. As they don't have ribbon tweeters, they could be the ideal compromise.

Contrary to Cno's usual wise suggestions, I would avoid Tannoy Precision 6.1. I recently heard these speakers on the new all-in-one Cyrus and although pretty impressive the combo didn't wholly hang together. Like MAs, I think they'll need a smoother presentation, otherwise they could be proned to a fatiguing listen.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Contrary to Cno's usual wise suggestions, I would avoid Tannoy Precision 6.1. I recently heard these speakers on the new all-in-one Cyrus and although pretty impressive the combo didn't wholly hang together. Like MAs, I think they'll need a smoother presentation, otherwise they could be proned to a fatiguing listen.

On a personl level, I totally agree with you; but if the OP is looking for speakers that are a little less forward, but still have a very clean and open presentation, then they might just work.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

On a personl level, I totally agree with you; but if the OP is looking for speakers that are a little less forward, but still have a very clean and open presentation, then they might just work.

The problem the OP has is he loves the clarity of the GX50s but can't stand the shrillness, so whatever alternative he chooses will be a compromise. But it's about striking that right compromise. I wholly agree with your earlier post that his set-up screams bright, majoring on detail.

Think it's for him now to have some dems and see where it takes him.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The problem the OP has is he loves the clarity of the GX50s but can't stand the shrillness, so whatever alternative he chooses will be a compromise. But it's about striking that right compromise. I wholly agree with your earlier post that his set-up screams bright, majoring on detail.

Not at all. It's possible to buy speakers that have greater clarity and detail without any shrillness whatsoever. But he might need to stop p***ing about with passive speakers and try some good actives or panels.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Are you using tube preamp for the Cyrus amps?

I totally understand the appeal of the GX50 btw. *ok*

GX-gallery-lifestyle.jpg

Craig M. said:
plastic penguin said:

Not at all. It's possible to buy speakers that have greater clarity and detail without any shrillness whatsoever. But he might need to stop p***ing about with passive speakers and try some good actives or panels.

Spoken like a true active owner. Did he ask for suggestions for an active alternative? Look at his sig and there's more chance of you going back to s####y outmoded passives.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The tweeters that Adam Audio use sound quite nice. Not shrill at all but may not suit everyones taste. I found that the sweet spot was a little on the narrow side for my liking though.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Handbags away please gents.*stop*

I'm strictly passive speakers. No funny stuff.*pleasantry*

I was listening to music through my old CM1s on Saturday. So dull yet I thought they were the best thing slince sliced bread when I bought them years ago.

The detail of the GX50 is what drew me too them on demo (GX50, GX100 and Proac D2 shoot out). I actually rejected the D2 for costing too much but maybe that was my mistake. The man who skimps on price buys twice!!

So in the end it seems that my taste for bright / detail has brought me to a system that is far too bright.

I could just actually listen through my Aurium / HD800 when I'm in my den and see if my ears settle down.

BTW ... my PMC twenty.22 are by far the best speakers I've heard. NB I wrote I've heard and not that they are the best speakers. In a case of don't fix what isn't broken I could always try the twenty.21 in a smaller listening space.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
BTW ... my PMC twenty.22 are by far the best speakers I've heard. NB I wrote I've heard and not that they are the best speakers. In a case of don't fix what isn't broken I could always try the twenty.21 in a smaller listening space.

It sounds to me (and to you), that the PMC Twenty Series fits the bill......and the fact that Pathos has crept into your line up, means there's hope for you! *wink*

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I like Pathos. I will no doubt give the new Logos Mk2 a demo in the future. But there'd be so much kit to sell if I went down that route.

My Aurium and HD800 are settling down nicely. At that stage where the hi-fi fairies are pouring some lovely treacle into the mix. Pity the Aurium has no pre-amp line out output stage ... it's just a pass through.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
One who obsesses with detail will never see the whole picture. And now even at a cost of hearing degradation.

This guy again. *ROFL*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts