Rewire a Rega arm . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been having a long hard think . . . what about rewiring the Rega RB700 tone arm, eliminate all the joints, direct from cartridge to phono plugs? All very well, but I cant find any meaningfull descriptions, pictures, diagrams on how its don.

I know its suposed to be simple and I'm perfectly capable of doing the job . . . but I hate undertaking a job without knowing what to expect or how to proseed, short on confidence :?

Anyone got any ideas, pointers, where to get the wire from . . . ???

CJSF

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Did some RB300s many moons ago - ****ing fiddly job, fell to me as I was new.

Some hear the difference, some don't. You'll not be able to compare which makes it harder.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Did some RB300s many moons ago - ****ing fiddly job, fell to me as I was new.

Some hear the difference, some don't. You'll not be able to compare which makes it harder.

. . . :? Mmm

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
CJ don't you ever sit back and just say "You know what, I am happy with this"

I think Hazel should be knighted. :rofl:

Yes I do mate, but in this case, its a mission created by the Sumiko . . . once achived then I sit back, by the way Hazel is keen, she loves her music. I dont think I can realisticaly go any further than the arm replacement/rewire??? The next step 'up' would be quite majour and costly. I also have the type of brain that constantly looks for the next step in what ever I do. Its taken me two years to get to this point, so I supose in two years time I might be getting itchy feet . . . ?

I want to get more new vinyl, and at anything from £20 to *%**!!! a go :O My finances will only stretch so far. The Benz Wood has just been sold on fleBay, enough to finance the arm if I go that rout but thats it, no more money for serious hifi kit for a long time????

It would be nice if someone could point me in the direction of some sort of pictuer 'A to B' type wireing diagram for the Rega arm, I'm a real numpty with electrics.

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi cjsf - I did it! and even involved Mrs C as a second pair of hands for the soldering.

I went for a silver all-in-one job from Incognito

http://www.analogueseduction.net/category-599/incognito-tonearm-pure-silver-re-wire-kit-for-rega-arms.html

The immediate benefit for me was that because it is grounded via the phono amp by a separate wire (rather than through one of the audio channels) it got rid of a ground hum in one speaker.

I've got a RB301 arm on my Inspired Rega, by the way.

It is a bit of a fiddly business, but happy to have a chat about it if you need any of my one-time experience.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Hi cjsf - I did it! and even involved Mrs C as a second pair of hands for the soldering.

I went for a silver all-in-one job from Incognito

http://www.analogueseduction.net/category-599/incognito-tonearm-pure-silver-re-wire-kit-for-rega-arms.html

The immediate benefit for me was that because it is grounded via the phono amp by a separate wire (rather than through one of the audio channels) it got rid of a ground hum in one speaker.

I've got a RB301 arm on my Inspired Rega, by the way.

It is a bit of a fiddly business, but happy to have a chat about it if you need any of my one-time experience.

Thanks DC, Imight need you help?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OK I have come across a good description and basic diagram from Origin Live.

So, looking at this Origin-live earth the arm at the hedshell bung and run this wire to the pre amp . . . OK, I have an idea, I have some super thin (less than 1mm) screened cable. If I used the outer screen as an earth on all four cables . . . One, would it work OK. Two, is it necessary to use all four screens or even could it even be an advantage?

There are other problems but these are phisical that I have no problem in over coming, my main issue, will that wiring interpritation work?

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Yip. Register to the vinylengine. You will be in your element over there :). Some seriously clever geekeroonies on the engine. Tons of tone arm threads, you just need to do a search CJ. Lecky stuff aint my game mate, tis all a bit wire/fuse/blow. More that a fair few clever chaps over on the Wam anaw. Better still, leave it to peeps who do this for a living.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Yip. Register to the vinylengine. You will be in your element over there :). Some seriously clever geekeroonies on the engine. Tons of tone arm threads, you just need to do a search CJ. Lecky stuff aint my game mate, tis all a bit wire/fuse/blow. More that a fair few clever chaps over on the Wam anaw. Better still, leave it to peeps who do this for a living.

Yes I know Floyd, I do leave it to those that know, but I like to know myself . . . especialy now one is retired. The Audiomods arm is simpler than most Rega definatives as it can be removed from its yoke with out usetting the bearings, makes wiring simple. Waiting on Domonic for a quote . . . then see where we go?

. . . I'll admit to just being a fiddler, I enjoy it, although one does get very frustrated on occasions:wall:

Listening to some great music at the moment with the revitalised Sumiko. Just heard Kiri Te Kanawa sing, 'E stano-ah, fors' e lui' from La Traviata . . . a revelation of the music and the system . . . :clap: Looking forward to side two tomight, 8 tracks, of which 7 are in English.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, Vinyl Engine are well into meaningfull Rega upgrading, in fact they seem to be running along similar lines of thinking to yours truly. With the Audio Mods Classic tone arm, very much under the spot light at present, this along with the 'Micheal Linn' sub platter, plus an acrilic platter, some say a PSU, some say not worth it.

However the concensus of opinion is the Rega P5 modified as above is a giant killer, falls down on the last few point for infomation retreval against the big boys, but on musicality, it well ahead, they say??? Its interesting that no one in the US has thought much about a total plinth change . . . I'm not convinced myself, the issues of 'over damping' comes in to my mind every time I think about it, slate plinths and all that??? Even 'Mr Slate', Doninic at Northwest Audio is not sure?

All the above info, but not been able to find out much on arm wiring??? Keep digging.

CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Yep, Vinyl Engine are well into meaningfull Rega upgrading, in fact they seem to be running along similar lines of thinking to yours truly. With the Audio Mods Classic tone arm, very much under the spot light at present, this along with the 'Micheal Linn' sub platter, plus an acrilic platter, some say a PSU, some say not worth it.

However the concensus of opinion is the Rega P5 modified as above is a giant killer, falls down on the last few point for infomation retreval against the big boys, but on musicality, it well ahead, they say??? Its interesting that no one in the US has thought much about a total plinth change . . . I'm not convinced myself, the issues of 'over damping' comes in to my mind every time I think about it, slate plinths and all that??? Even 'Mr Slate', Doninic at Northwest Audio is not sure?

All the above info, but not been able to find out much on arm wiring??? Keep digging.

CJSF

CJ ,

If a change of plinth were considered how much of the original turntable would be left ? It sounds to me as if you could build a completely new turntable with all the bits and pieces you are changing . What would you do with the old plinth ? Or are you after two turntables so that you can compare them side by side ?

Nick

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Amazing, I put a spacific post in the Rega part of the Vinylengine forum, 37 hits and not a single reply . . . they dont seem to go much on arm wiring either???

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
However the concensus of opinion is the Rega P5 modified as above is a giant killer, falls down on the last few point for infomation retreval against the big boys, but on musicality, it well ahead, they say???

Important !!. This is not a dig at Rega so calm down fellas and read on,lol.

I love this giant killer garbage. A modified this a modified that @ 1000 quid total outlay (for instance) will live with, or be better than, a 6k table or whathave you. Have these fellas actually heard a 6K/8K/10K 'Big Boy' arm/table/cart set up next to their modded giant killer set up ,for a side by side comparison I wonder ?.

Just a thought. ;)

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi CJ, this may be of interest to you. Hope it helps a bit although it's not specifically for the RB700

http://www.originlive.com/Rega%20modification%20kits.pdf

and this too,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/84059-rewiring-rega-rb250.html

not sure how different the tonearms actually are, but should be of some help

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:
However the concensus of opinion is the Rega P5 modified as above is a giant killer, falls down on the last few point for infomation retreval against the big boys, but on musicality, it well ahead, they say???

Important !!. This is not a dig at Rega so calm down fellas and read on,lol.

I love this giant killer garbage. A modified this a modified that @ 1000 quid total outlay (for instance) will live with, or be better than, a 6k table or whathave you. Have these fellas actually heard a 6K/8K/10K 'Big Boy' arm/table/cart set up next to their modded giant killer set up ,for a side by side comparison I wonder ?.

Just a thought. ;)

Hi Loyd . . . :? As I put it . . . "they say" . . . however, recently, I, have heard the slate Garad 401 against my modified P5 with a theoretically inferior cartridge in the P5. My P5 is not yet up to the modified standard of some of the US Regas I get the impresion? . . . As I think I also said in a previous post, my P5 could live in that refined company 'with out disgace', there were three of us in the room at the time, over a number of hours and many tracks.

I have also coverd my a*se by saying that some like their music one way and others another . . . I dont know about £6000 modern TT, but a slate Garad comes in at close on £4000 . . . plus arm I think and certainly plus cartridge.

One would respectfully sugest that cost does not always relate to performance in hifi terms, especialy when one starts to include the personal preferance elements?

At this level I belieive presentation and performance is very personal . . . I leave you and any others following the thread to ponder?

By the way, 44 hits and still no reply . . . dont they change tone arm cables in the States??????? . . . or do they stand back and let the experts do it???

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
gwynne61 said:
Hi CJ, this may be of interest to you. Hope it helps a bit although it's not specifically for the RB700

and this too,

Thanks for that gwynne61, I have the Orivin Live in my favourits, but they are a tad vague over the earth wires, not showing if the earth (5th wire?) comes from the head shell down to the 5th pin that then goes to earth as an external wire as well as the captured wire between the bung a the vertical tube? That what I want to knowand I cant find out any where, hard for me, I prefer pics and diagrams, dyslexia make writen instructions difficult?

This arangement would work in by passing the non conductive ceramic bearings on the 'Audiomods Classic arm' I am proposing to install, but, is that what they are saying?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
gwynne61 said:

and this too,

OK gwynne61 . . . I have read the 'Incogneto Rega arm' re wire . . . very simple, it seems to sugest the earth wire connects the arm tube and an external screen creating a faraday type shield from the arm and said screen, there is no conneting to the loom its self, the arm and external screen making a giant coaxil type screen? Thats the way I see it, therefore, if one could use coaxil cable as the arm cable from head shell to the phono plugs, I see no need for any extra shielding??? Just my way of seeing it, am I right?

The idea of taking the arm apart . . . :O !!!! The authour says its Ok on a RB300 type but dont try it on a 250!

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hey CJ , read my bloody post again please mate and hopefully you will get the gist of what I was getting at. You didnt have to cover your behind, well not with me anyways. You will notice that I did not name any decks at all, for a reason.

The whole point was ( helping you get my gist here ) that I have read many forums where Guys/Gals have posted 'Yeah a modified doodah if done correctly will slay xyz that costs abc'. Have they ever heard xyz, highly unlikely with some of the names I've seen touted around that have been 'giant killed'. Perhaps I shouldnt have put things in monetary terms , but at the end of the day those are some of the price brackets what these muppets say their modded decks are better than. Sorry but they are talking complete b****x.

Byraway , Your modified deck did live in refined company without disgrace. More to the point a certain person was well impressed with the results of your tweakery (is that a word ,lol). ;) :).

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
gwynne61 said:

and this too,

OK gwynne61 . . . I have read the 'Incogneto Rega arm' re wire . . . very simple, it seems to sugest the earth wire connects the arm tube and an external screen creating a faraday type shield from the arm and said screen, there is no conneting to the loom its self, the arm and external screen making a giant coaxil type screen? Thats the way I see it, therefore, if one could use coaxil cable as the arm cable from head shell to the phono plugs, I see no need for any extra shielding??? Just my way of seeing it, am I right?

The idea of taking the arm apart . . . :O !!!! The authour says its Ok on a RB300 type but dont try it on a 250!

CJSF

Sorry, don't really understand the intricacies of Faraday, was always useless at physics. I was browsing the thread and googled Rega arm rewire out of curiosity as I have a P3-24 myself and thought that sharing the document may help.

Hope it goes well for you.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Hey CJ , read my bloody post again please mate and hopefully you will get the gist of what I was getting at. You didnt have to cover your behind, well not with me anyways. You will notice that I did not name any decks at all, for a reason.

The whole point was ( helping you get my gist here ) that I have read many forums where Guys/Gals have posted 'Yeah a modified doodah if done correctly will slay xyz that costs abc'. Have they ever heard xyz, highly unlikely with some of the names I've seen touted around that have been 'giant killed'. Perhaps I shouldnt have put things in monetary terms , but at the end of the day those are some of the price brackets what these muppets say their modded decks are better than. Sorry but they are talking complete b****x.

Byraway , Your modified deck did live in refined company without disgrace. More to the point a certain person was well impressed with the results of your tweakery (is that a word ,lol). ;) :).

Hi Floyd, looks like I got the wrong end of your stick . . . my sincere apologies, as I have said before, I hold you opinions in high regard . . . again apologies.

'He and I seem to think along the same lines' . . . no bull s**t . . . simply good or bad in our opinion.

Waiting on him to give me a price on wiring an Audiomods 'Classic' tone arm, seems AM adraging heals with supply price? With a few replies from hear and the US, I have now been able to sorted the wiring options to do the job myself if need be, all depends on how much . . . ?

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
No worries CJ. I read your post at work via my jellybone and thought 'aaaaaarrrrgggghhh f**k he aint read the post properly' lol.

Theifbay has Cardas 33 awg litz just as a starter for ten. Well tis just over a tenner ,lol.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
No worries CJ. I read your post at work via my jellybone and thought 'aaaaaarrrrgggghhh f**k he aint read the post properly' lol.

Theifbay has Cardas 33 awg litz just as a starter for ten. Well tis just over a tenner ,lol.

Hi Floyd, this guy seems to have a solid feet on the ground aproach:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170872917432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Although I dont entirly go along with the tone arm, but hay, everyone to his own. He has spent a good few emails to me today helping with arm wiring.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts