Revived?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have just dusted off the TT pre amp and switched it on for the first time since the beginning of the year . . . I even forgot how to switch it on for a few seconds, requires the seperate power supply to be powerd up . . . Doh!

So, all glowing nicly, finished a new hi speed arobatic glider this morning, wating for some decent weather. Have a slice of toast, listen to the archers, all should then be warmed up read for my first vinyl in over 6 months . . . *smile*

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
I have just dusted off the TT pre amp and switched it on for the first time since the beginning of the year . . . I even forgot how to switch it on for a few seconds, requires the seperate power supply to be powerd up . . . Doh!

So, all glowing nicly, finished a new hi speed arobatic glider this morning, wating for some decent weather. Have a slice of toast, listen to the archers, all should then be warmed up read for my first vinyl in over 6 months . . . *smile*

CJSF

Well that was an experiance, 6 months without vinyl, only a few CD's and Spotify. What can one say, a biiiiiiiiggggg sound stage, filling in the gaps. Perfect presance, smooth, realy soooooth, only had time for 4 sides, looking forward to more . . .

We, thats the 'Royal We' were enthraled, what have we been missing*scratch_one-s_head*

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well 8 weeks without vinyl was too long for me !

Waiting for my Gyro to be made.

I go back to CD ocassionally for background music while Im doing stuff - but when i JUST listen to music vinyl every time

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:

I go back to CD ocassionally for background music while Im doing stuff - but when i JUST listen to music vinyl every time

My 6 months has been self inflicted, everything has been sitting there. A bit of a nutter me, happy pills and all. I tell you what Steve, it may not look much but my much modified and tweaked P5 sounds like a million dollars, I wonder how much further I can go? . . . Can anyone sugest a cartridge that might out perform my 'Sumiko Pearwood' . . . at a sencible price.

In fact, from what I haver heard this afternoon, I dont want bright, which so often is where detail comes from, what I have is so smooth yet detailed, enough base for my speakers, I think its more space I want, going back to my days with the Rock, happy memories.

Sumiko do one above the pearwood that is said to be something very special? Alternativly, I might talk to Dominic at North West Adio, see what he has as a better, refined stylus, to replace this one he did on my Sumiko, be cheaper than a new cartridge but a one way ticket if I dont like it?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Yup, well, that wasn't obvious or anything, was it readers?

Well what do you know, one of the reasons i did not bother with the site . . .

. . . 'things realy have not changed', I'm off for good!

CJSF said:
stevebrock said:

My 6 months has been self inflicted, everything has been sitting there. A bit of a nutter me, happy pills and all. I tell you what Steve, it may not look much but my much modified and tweaked P5 sounds like a million dollars, I wonder how much further I can go? . . . Can anyone sugest a cartridge that might out perform my 'Sumiko Pearwood' . . . at a sencible price.

In fact, from what I haver heard this afternoon, I dont want bright, which so often is where detail comes from, what I have is so smooth yet detailed, enough base for my speakers, I think its more space I want, going back to my days with the Rock, happy memories.

Sumiko do one above the pearwood that is said to be something very special? Alternativly, I might talk to Dominic at North West Adio, see what he has as a better, refined stylus, to replace this one he did on my Sumiko, be cheaper than a new cartridge but a one way ticket if I dont like it?

CJSF

As far as I am aware Dominic uses Geiger stylii so you probably have one fitted already, however he might have replaced an original which was elliptical.

It's a very fine cartridge and there are few cartridges to better it at the price.

For what it's worth one of the best value for money cartridges around is the Benz Micro Glider S L

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
The_Lhc said:

no need for that?

It wasn't meant as an insult (although grud knows CJ can and has taken the most fulsome praise as an insult in the past), just an observation that it seems to be those that proclaim the loudest that they have cured themselves of their upgraditis that seem to cave in to it the most spectacularly. It wasn't actually CJSF that I had in mind (good morning Matthew...), it just reminded me of that.

I would apologize to cj for upsetting him but I've tried that in the past and it only seems to make matters worse somehow.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
stevebrock said:
The_Lhc said:

no need for that
It wasn't meant as an insult (although grud knows CJ can and has taken the most fulsome praise as an insult in the past), just an observation that it seems to be those that proclaim the loudest that they have cured themselves of their upgraditis that seem to cave in to it the most spectacularly. It wasn't actually CJSF that I had in mind (good morning Matthew...), it just reminded me of that.

I would apologize to cj for upsetting him but I've tried that in the past and it only seems to make matters worse somehow.

Read between the lines The_Lhc, Alears got it right, I have one of the best stylus already fitted. I would need to go up a stage in the cartrige stakes to make any real differance and even then at this level improvements are 'low %' as value for money.

Need to do some more listening for its own sake, probably later this afternoon after the Archers and a cup of tea. Ther is a factor that is in the back of my mind. The re tiped Sumiko has a good few hours on it, so one may have to face the issue of replace the tip like for like or see what Dominics advise is. These days he rebuilds cartridges to a higher level, ie, new (better) suspension, better coils etc., etc., in fact, his web site says better coils gives the openess I crave.

I have got through the upgradeitus, but that does not stop me looking ahead to the inevitable replacement due to wear. Experianced this on the valves recently, a couple of valves went down, rather than worrying over and buying new (better?) matched sets, I dug into my old stock, replaced the offending valves not worrying about manufacture match. The system is sounding 100%.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi CJ. Please remind me of the set-up.

Icon Audio Stereo 25? (Or is it still the Croft?) PMC TB2s and your own Designer speaker stands?

I still get the occasional temptation to try out valves and the Icon Audio Stereo 25 would - hypothetically - have to be the top of any future budget at around £1000 for the basic version. However, it seems this is 'dragging' the bottom of respectability/credibility in the valve amp world according to various comments i've seen here and elsewhere on the subject of good, budget valve amps.

(One person thought 'good' valve amps and 'budget' valve amps were a contradiction!)

Glad you are enjoying the whole system again although, unlike you, I can't understand the vinyl urge after almost three decades of them! (My heart was - and still is - with radio.)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Hi CJ. Please remind me of the set-up.

Icon Audio Stereo 25? (Or is it still the Croft?) PMC TB2s and your own Designer speaker stands?

I still get the occasional temptation to try out valves and the Icon Audio Stereo 25 would - hypothetically - have to be the top of any future budget at around £1000 for the basic version. However, it seems this is 'dragging' the bottom of respectability/credibility in the valve amp world according to various comments i've seen here and elsewhere on the subject of good, budget valve amps.

(One person thought 'good' valve amps and 'budget' valve amps were a contradiction!)

Glad you are enjoying the whole system again although, unlike you, I can't understand the vinyl urge after almost three decades of them! (My heart was - and still is - with radio.)

Hi Chebby, system is Icon ST40, Icon Phono Pre + Power supply, PMC LB1 on Foundation Designer stands. I swaped around with the Croft a fair bit around Christmas time, excelent thought the Croft is the ST40 is much smoother, compare the two directly and the Croft does not have the overall control of the valves, even so, it will beat or equal most solid state amps head to head . . . at the price point. Much discussion with Glen Croft, mulling over upgrading to the better versions. I have borrowed and listend to in my own system, the Croft sound simply does not suite my valve coresed ears. Never the less, if I could not have my valves, I have no idea where to look, probably tame things down at the speakers, LB1 are very revealing, especialy on the Designer stand. Problem is modern speakers tend be a 'bit sharp' to my ears, my LB1's are circa 1990?

Some of this revised interest has come when I recently replaced individual valves that had gone down. Dodgy valves = poor sound, brand matching is not so important I think.

Its good to listen to my old vinyl, via a medium I like, I have been a valve man since about 1980. One gets much satisfaction in knowing the sound from my P5 TT is my own creation, that thought still gives me a buzz, the same goes for the extended base from the LB1 speaker, PMC had to design it but I unlocked the sound with the Foundation stands, big headed, not realy just gives me and Hazel pleasure, Foundation Audio is a long but not forgoten memory. No more tweaking unless it is required, when it is, I know what to do.

A pertinant thought, Kathy my dear, late wife was very much the other half of Foundation Audio, the back room girl, sorted out problems, tea girl, filing clark, corected my spelling, made sure customers were happy, 'dont get many Kathies to the pound'. Its the aniversary of her untimely death this day 1995 . . . happy memories*kiss3*

ST25's, never heard one, for the price a decent used ST40 can be had with KT88 valves. The one thing with valves these days is they dont have to sound 'honey warm' if you dont want them to. There is no doubt some of the albums I have were recorded using valve equipment and you can hear it to advantage.

??? . . . Dont they still use valve broadcasting amps or was it all changed not so log back?

CJSF

PS, Chebby, just looked on the Icon website 'Offers', they have two ST40 for sale, one used, one ex dem, for £999 each.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
??? . . . Dont they still use valve broadcasting amps or was it all changed not so log back?

As far as I am aware distribution of BBC FM stereo from studio to transmitter sites has been digital since the 1970s (initially 13 bit PCM then 18 bit 'hybrid' PCM/NICAM and 24 bit NICAM 3 since 1993).

The signal would only be converted back to analogue for the 'last hop' from transmitter to your radio.

I don't think valves have been used in the studios since before the 1970s. I have seen Rogers LS5/8s with active amplification courtesy of Quad (modified 405s bi-amped with active boards built in) and - much later on - Chord Electronics. No valves though.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:

As far as I am aware distribution of BBC FM stereo from studio to transmitter sites has been digital since the 1970s (initially 13 bit PCM then 18 bit 'hybrid' PCM/NICAM and 24 bit NICAM 3 since 1993).

The signal would only be converted back to analogue for the 'last hop' from transmitter to your radio.

I don't think valves have been used in the studios since before the 1970s. I have seen Rogers LS5/8s with active amplification courtesy of Quad (modified 405s bi-amped with active boards built in) and - much later on - Chord Electronics. No valves though.

I am obviously getting confused . . . ? I am at a funny age you know*smile*

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Cliff - have you considered a Koetsu Black ?

Have it on good authority from a mate that this could be what your looking for

A Black was the classic of the 80's, I have it firmly on the list in the fight for top spot???? One is in no hurry, saving the pennies.

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't think I've anything constructive to add to this convo CJ because you're already waaaay past anything I've ever had or ever will have, other than to say I'm glad you're back.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

What happened to your Icon, Steve? One minute it was there and the next.... What's the difference between the Rega and Icon?

Apologies to CJ for hijacking the thread.

Lack of space & safety it just looked so unsightly in the room my hifi was in, as it was not just soley for my use as I have a young family I was very limited how I had all the gear set up - sold the Icon ST40 & PS1 then I ordered a Prima Luna Prolugue with on board phono stage, however in the meantime an ex demo Elicit R was available with full Rega warranty so saved a bit of money and still have a fairly nice amp.

My vinyl front end has really stepped things up, thoroughly enjoy my system, I cant see myself changing anything now except for experimenting with various cartridges but thats an expensive affair.

I have a Benz Micro Ace high output MC as a spare - I find the Nagaoka that little bit more musical.

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

What happened to your Icon, Steve? One minute it was there and the next.... What's the difference between the Rega and Icon?

Apologies to CJ for hijacking the thread.

Lack of space & safety it just looked so unsightly in the room my hifi was in, as it was not just soley for my use as I have a young family I was very limited how I had all the gear set up - sold the Icon ST40 & PS1 then I ordered a Prima Luna Prolugue with on board phono stage, however in the meantime an ex demo Elicit R was available with full Rega warranty so saved a bit of money and still have a fairly nice amp.

My vinyl front end has really stepped things up, thoroughly enjoy my system, I cant see myself changing anything now except for experimenting with various cartridges but thats an expensive affair.

I have a Benz Micro Ace high output MC as a spare - I find the Nagaoka that little bit more musical.

Ah, right. Yup, kiddiewinks need to be considered. I'm lucky my daughter has got to the age where she's more caring of the hi-fi and TV than me.

So no sonic improvement with the Rega over the Icon then?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
It's different PP not better or worse

It's hard to compare now as my ears have got used to the Rega sound - and as you know from a few years always loved how this amp sounds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts