Cherry on the cake . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Into my third year of tweaking my Rega P5. I thought I had finished in the new year. Nothing significant to do I thought, short of moving up a gear and start the process all over again? Not a good idea, big money involved, one feels that the way hifi is going its not worth it at present IMHO?

My system 'does it' for me as it stands . . . that was my thoughts until last Thursday. I was looking through and clearing my 'eBay watch files'. I came across the Peek Ceramic Rega main bearing upgrade, it was the last tweak at a reasonable cost that I looked at a few months ago.

:? . . . £45, I pressed the trigger and forgot about it. Woken by the postie this morning, signature required for a recorded delivery, what the *****! engage brain, small package, Peek bearing, as I say I had forgotten, forget after 2 days, its something to do with old age so I'm told :doh:

So, Sugar Puffs first, then I set to on the institutional, very simple and it gave me the opportunity to dust areas that cant be done with the tt in place. Dug out the regular LP's for testing, the fist reaction was 'smooth and dynamic', then it became obvious, that laid back was more laid back . . . One was less aware of the TT/system, a more natural easy sound was presenting in the sound stage, air around the individual instruments, some of which I had not heard before. Voice inflections were more obvious, silence was blacker.

All the above are obvious but subtle. As I type, I am listening 'close field', It is very obvious listening like this how much smoother and refined things sound. Not to everyone's liking, I like 'easy on the ear', but with it come 'detail'.

I doubt a budget system with a Rega tt would benefit from the ceramic Peek main bearing, but a tweak or two and move a run or two up the amplification ladder, £45 is not much to ad some refinement to your sound?
CJSF

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Into my third year of tweaking my Rega P5. I thought I had finished in the new year. Nothing significant to do I thought, short of moving up a gear and start the process all over again? Not a good idea, big money involved, one feels that the way hifi is going its not worth it at present IMHO? My system 'does it' for me as it stands . . . that was my thoughts until last Thursday. I was looking through and clearing my 'eBay watch files'. I came across the Peek Ceramic Rega main bearing upgrade, it was the last tweak at a reasonable cost that I looked at a few months ago. :? . . . £45, I pressed the trigger and forgot about it. Woken by the postie this morning, signature required for a recorded delivery, what the *****! engage brain, small package, Peek bearing, as I say I had forgotten, forget after 2 days, its something to do with old age so I'm told :doh: So, Sugar Puffs first, then I set to on the institutional, very simple and it gave me the opportunity to dust areas that cant be done with the tt in place. Dug out the regular LP's for testing, the fist reaction was 'smooth and dynamic', then it became obvious, that laid back was more laid back . . . One was less aware of the TT/system, a more natural easy sound was presenting in the sound stage, air around the individual instruments, some of which I had not heard before. Voice inflections were more obvious, silence was blacker. All the above are obvious but subtle. As I type, I am listening 'close field', It is very obvious listening like this how much smoother and refined things sound. Not to everyone's liking, I like 'easy on the ear', but with it come 'detail'. I doubt a budget system with a Rega tt would benefit from the ceramic Peek main bearing, but a tweak or two and move a run or two up the amplification ladder, £45 is not much to ad some refinement to your sound? CJSF

Sugar Puff Overdose..........:)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
CJSF said:
Into my third year of tweaking my Rega P5. I thought I had finished in the new year. Nothing significant to do I thought, short of moving up a gear and start the process all over again? Not a good idea, big money involved, one feels that the way hifi is going its not worth it at present IMHO? My system 'does it' for me as it stands . . . that was my thoughts until last Thursday. I was looking through and clearing my 'eBay watch files'. I came across the Peek Ceramic Rega main bearing upgrade, it was the last tweak at a reasonable cost that I looked at a few months ago. :? . . . £45, I pressed the trigger and forgot about it. Woken by the postie this morning, signature required for a recorded delivery, what the *****! engage brain, small package, Peek bearing, as I say I had forgotten, forget after 2 days, its something to do with old age so I'm told :doh: So, Sugar Puffs first, then I set to on the institutional, very simple and it gave me the opportunity to dust areas that cant be done with the tt in place. Dug out the regular LP's for testing, the fist reaction was 'smooth and dynamic', then it became obvious, that laid back was more laid back . . . One was less aware of the TT/system, a more natural easy sound was presenting in the sound stage, air around the individual instruments, some of which I had not heard before. Voice inflections were more obvious, silence was blacker. All the above are obvious but subtle. As I type, I am listening 'close field', It is very obvious listening like this how much smoother and refined things sound. Not to everyone's liking, I like 'easy on the ear', but with it come 'detail'. I doubt a budget system with a Rega tt would benefit from the ceramic Peek main bearing, but a tweak or two and move a run or two up the amplification ladder, £45 is not much to ad some refinement to your sound? CJSF

Sugar Puff Overdose..........:)

? . . . Perhaps everyone should have a bowl of Sugar Puffs before listening to their HiFI . . . ? ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts