Reviews in magazines....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 197450

Unfortunately I still don't see how this applies to reviews in magazines. Please keep postings to point in a thread. However, sorry to hear of your experiences
Oops - apologies.

prince albert

May 7, 2020
Visit site
Absolutely, that is why there is so much choice out there.

It doesn’t matter what set up you have as long as you enjoy it, have a look at peoples signatures on this forum you will see huge differences in set ups, not one of them is wrong, each individual set up meets the owners needs (well in theory it does as long as you don’t mention upgrades :) ).

In the same way we have differing tastes in music, how we listen to it, it’s all about your listening enjoyment, not mine or anyone else’s.

If you are just starting in this daft crazy hobby, then I have a bit of advice, take it slowly, don’t rush and use your ears and not what me or anyone else tells you is good, we can suggest, hint and try to point you in the right direction but ultimately it is your choice and gear is expensive.

Reviews are good but only buy if you like what you hear, not because some mag says that the gear is the best thing since ….. well you get the picture.

Most importantly, have fun, if you’re not sure then ask the question, there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don’t know.

Sorry I have rabbited on far too much.
TOTALY AGREE,,, ONE MANS MEAT ANOTHER MANS POISON

manicm

What I do want is alternate opinions on equipment, I think Hifi Choice or another UK mag used to do this?

It sort of makes Andrew Robinson's videos enjoyable too - and his wife seems to prefer a brightish sound.

Reactions: Gray

Oxfordian

What I do want is alternate opinions on equipment, I think Hifi Choice or another UK mag used to do this?

It sort of makes Andrew Robinson's videos enjoyable too - and his wife seems to prefer a brightish sound.

I have vague memories of a mag doing this but like you cannot remember which one, this is frustrating as my job involved distributing the damn things to newsagents around the country.

:confused_old:

Gray

I have vague memories of a mag doing this but like you cannot remember which one, this is frustrating as my job involved distributing the damn things to newsagents around the country.

:confused_old:
As manicm rightly said, Hi-fi Choice used to have more than one review opinion for their major group tests.
They used a panel of listeners from the audio industry. Better still, they were unaware what they were listening to.
This made their notes worthwhile, especially when they agreed on what they'd heard.
Seem to recall them saying it was a time consuming, expensive process.....probably why they no longer do it.

As manicm rightly said, Hi-fi Choice used to have more than one review opinion for their major group tests.
They used a panel of listeners from the audio industry. Better still, they were unaware what they were listening to.
This made their notes worthwhile, especially when they agreed on what they'd heard.
Seem to recall them saying it was a time consuming, expensive process.....probably why they no longer do it.
They still use a group of reviewers for their Group Tests

I think I've seen that as a general statement for the mag itself, just meaning that all reviews are done by 'experts'.
Perhaps they'll give us an answer here on their rival's forum 🙂

They've got a current offer of 3 mags for a fiver. (Better when it was 3 for £1).
Quite possibly but the only place it states this is the fronter for the group test section

doifeellucky

I came across a re-print of a HFC amp super test and it was just Ed Shelley of AVF.

Looking back, for WHF I remember it was only the Awards where they specifically came together for group listening sessions to determine a winner. Though I thought this was just a bigger longer term session than normal due to the significance of the awards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts