Replacing Tag McLaren Kit - Part 2

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
OK, so check the previous title for start point - David sold me an Oppo 105. I've taken out the dead DVD32r and the AV32r, updated the Oppo firmware and am using the Oppo direct linked into my 100*5r as a processor. The story so far:

Very impressed with blu-ray visuals, but no surprise there as the HTPC was doing OK.

Linked up my Sky box direct to TV and optical to the Oppo. USB DAC connected, HTPC also linked via HDMI. Folio on a spdif coax.

Thoroughly impressed with the sound. Cds at least as good as the Tag unit, tried "Grrr" on a stereo bluray (nice, but I'm not going to replace all my cds for the difference), flac rips, Tubular Bells monster flac all very good, I was very surprised by "***** Chateau" as a surround SACD. Thought it would be a joke, but really got immersed in the music. May well try a few more.

Bourne Legacy made me duck. May have to turn the rears down a bit.

Can't hear any difference between the USB DAC and the HDMI connection (ears are getting on a bit now)

Very impressed on the SQ and video, but!!!!

Quite a few control issues - particularly with the lip sync side of it,. Being a persistent git for experimenting, it would appear that fast forward/pausing/b*******g about with Sky replay can create or solve lip sync issues. Sometimes the Sky picture freezes for no apparent reason. I think that there is something in the communications that causes gremlins. You can always use the Sky box adjustment to solve it, or sometimes just reboot! I'm wondering if my different makes of HDMI can cause trouble.

It's driving the wife mad - so 5 stars for the Oppo!!!!

Well worth a punt chaps. :cheers:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sky boxes can be a pain. At one point last year, every now and again I'd have a lip sync error of about 4 seconds, and the only way to get rid of it was to reboot the thing. Sometimes when I played something I'd recorded I'd just get a blue screen, so I'd have to stop it and start it again. At other times itmwas like watching a robot having a fit. I think Sky boxes need as much space as you can give them to keep cool, otherwise they do crazy things.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts