Replacing rogers speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I have some old rogers LS6a/2 which I love but on setting up my hifi today after moving I noticed one of the main drivers making a sort of farting noise when turned up.The rest of my kit is quite old with an old creek amp at the heart of it.I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of what to get I was thinking of some diamonds 9.1.I like a wide range of music from rock to dance music.Thanks for any help.

A

Anonymous

Yeah around £150 I was looking at the richer sound site

A

Anonymous

a bit over your budget ... but have a look

Dynaudio Acoustics BM5 studio monitors ... ebay item 150387193695 ... £239 buy it now ... listed 4 hrs ago .. seller has 2 pairs and these are practically new and a bargain?

matthewpiano

I think you would be disappointed with the Diamond 9.1s after your Rogers. I'd be looking for a pair of Quad 11Ls 2nd hand instead. Much more polished speaker all round than the Wharfedales (and I'm talking about the sound - not just the 7 layers of piano lacquer). £150 should bag you a good pair, but try to find the original ones rather than the 11L2s.

A

Anonymous

what about getting the rogers repaired

edit or the quads as matthewpiano suggests

A

Anonymous

one off:

HI yeah I would like to do that but any idea where I could do that I live on the kent coast.

A

Anonymous

Matthew, I see that you often comment on the quad 11's ... I was considering a pair with my pioneer A400 and marantz CD63 cdp ... apparently make an excellent match and read many positive comments when paired to these items

However, have also read conflicting comments when used on other amps/cdp's and comments state that there is practically no bass on the quad 11's?

A

Anonymous

gazza j:one off:

HI yeah I would like to do that but any idea where I could do that I live on the kent coast.

it would be worth a drive into London ... go to wembley speakers ... they are very good ... google and give them a call ... prices are pretty cheap and they are good

matthewpiano

dim_span:
Matthew, I see that you often comment on the quad 11's ... I was considering a pair with my pioneer A400 and marantz CD63 cdp ... apparently make an excellent match and read many positive comments when paired to these items

However, have also read conflicting comments when used on other amps/cdp's and comments state that there is practically no bass on the quad 11's?

I've used them with several amps including the A400, and I still have a pair stored away for the inevitable moment when I want a different sound. I think a lot of pairs were sold with entry level Arcam electronics for some reason and its not a good combination. However, driven by pretty much any other amp I've never found them to be bass light. They don't give a big overblown bass but there is ample amounts and, most importantly, its taut and tuneful. I think they are great speakers and they've never sounded better than on the end of an A400. Its a very good match and the Quads are superb at reproducing vocals.

A

Anonymous

dim_span:gazza j:one off:

it would be worth a drive into London ... go to wembley speakers ... they are very good ... google and give them a call ... prices are pretty cheap and they are good
also might be worth contacting wimslow audio at https://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/index.php they have a good reputation

matthewpiano:dim_span:

I've used them with several amps including the A400, and I still have a pair stored away for the inevitable moment when I want a different sound. I think a lot of pairs were sold with entry level Arcam electronics for some reason and its not a good combination. However, driven by pretty much any other amp I've never found them to be bass light. They don't give a big overblown bass but there is ample amounts and, most importantly, its taut and tuneful. I think they are great speakers and they've never sounded better than on the end of an A400. Its a very good match and the Quads are superb at reproducing vocals.

I'm suprised about Arcam and Quad - isn't it true that the Quads need a gutsy amp to drive them properly?

A few years ago, I think around 2005 if memory serves me, WHFI S&V did an all-in-one system test and they paired Quad 11's with Nad 352 and matching CDP, and commented, (paraphrasing): " ....this set-up is the equivilent to real Madrid. As individual components they are unbeatable...." they wen onto conclude, "this set-up does most things you'd expect, however the electronics do not drive the Quads with sufficient vigour."

matthewpiano

plastic penguin:matthewpiano:dim_span:

I'm suprised about Arcam and Quad - isn't it true that the Quads need a gutsy amp to drive them properly?

Exactly and that is why the Arcams aren't right for them. The entry level Arcam amplification is far from gutsy. Your A65+ is better in that respect than the A70 but neither is exactly electrifying to listen to. NAD amps have far more ability in this respect, although I wouldn't say a NAD is necessarily the BEST way to drive the Quads. What they like best is high current, clean power. Whilst NAD amps do the high current bit, I wouldn't describe them as clean and they don't have the same ability in terms of soundstaging as the Arcams.

The absolute best matches for the Quads are amps like the Pioneer A400, the Cambridge 740A/840A, the Rotel RA01/02/03/04/05/06 and Creek Evolution.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:matthewpiano:dim_span:

A few years ago, I think around 2005 if memory serves me, WHFI S&V did an all-in-one system test and they paired Quad 11's with Nad 352 and matching CDP, and commented, (paraphrasing): " ....this set-up is the equivilent to real Madrid. As individual components they are unbeatable...." they wen onto conclude, "this set-up does most things you'd expect, however the electronics do not drive the Quads with sufficient vigour."

when I bought my pioneer A400, I spent many hours on google/hifi forums ... the suggestions/good reviews with the A400 amp suggested that the A400 amp performed really well with the Marantz CD63 MKII K1 sig cdp and quad 11's (the 1st version), or Mission 753 (pre-freedom model) or B&W DM2 (1st version)

(I previously owned an A400 hooked up with a rotel cdp and IMF speakers ... was very pleased, but could not afford the IMF's when I was looking at buying)

then, when reasearching the quad 11's, I read many conflicting reports when paired with different amps to the A400, so ended up getting a pair of DM2's for £50 ... looked closely at the mission 753's, but was a bit over budget at the time (Approx £200)

A

Anonymous

check these spendor bc1's ... still a day to go ... standing on £24 ... but think they may sell over your £150 budget (perhaps you may be lucky?) ... good speakers that will rival or better your current rogers speakers

ebay item 180428529609

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:The absolute best matches for the Quads are amps like the Pioneer A400, the Cambridge 740A/840A, the Rotel RA01/02/03/04/05/06 and Creek Evolution.
Without wanting to sound pedantic, I'd go a step further and say that the Quad 909/99 pre/power is a very good match for the 11L. No surprises there but it does work very well indeed.

A

Anonymous

I was about to recommend those Spendor BC1s but had a mild concern about bass control. Good speakers, pretty large and the bass is their biggest downfall.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:I was about to recommend those Spendor BC1s but had a mild concern about bass control. Good speakers, pretty large and the bass is their biggest downfall.

have heard a few pairs on different systems ... never heard a 'bass problem' ... found them to be very clear with good soundstage ... considered a pair, but were out of my price range at the time, and I was impatient to wait for a cheaper pair

suppose it depends on what amp you use

here are a few reviews from people who own them

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/spendor/floorstanding-speakers/bc-1/PRD_120639_1594crx.aspx

matthewpiano:plastic penguin:matthewpiano:dim_span:

Exactly and that is why the Arcams aren't right for them. The entry level Arcam amplification is far from gutsy. Your A65+ is better in that respect than the A70 but neither is exactly electrifying to listen to. NAD amps have far more ability in this respect, although I wouldn't say a NAD is necessarily the BEST way to drive the Quads. What they like best is high current, clean power. Whilst NAD amps do the high current bit, I wouldn't describe them as clean and they don't have the same ability in terms of soundstaging as the Arcams. The absolute best matches for the Quads are amps like the Pioneer A400, the Cambridge 740A/840A, the Rotel RA01/02/03/04/05/06 and Creek Evolution.

That's what I meant. The Arcam isn't the cleanest of amps, and that's probably why they benefit so much from bi-amping; adding a power amp would probably make them a very good match with Quads?

matthewpiano

plastic penguin:matthewpiano:plastic penguin:matthewpiano:dim_span:

Exactly and that is why the Arcams aren't right for them. The entry level Arcam amplification is far from gutsy. Your A65+ is better in that respect than the A70 but neither is exactly electrifying to listen to. NAD amps have far more ability in this respect, although I wouldn't say a NAD is necessarily the BEST way to drive the Quads. What they like best is high current, clean power. Whilst NAD amps do the high current bit, I wouldn't describe them as clean and they don't have the same ability in terms of soundstaging as the Arcams. The absolute best matches for the Quads are amps like the Pioneer A400, the Cambridge 740A/840A, the Rotel RA01/02/03/04/05/06 and Creek Evolution.

That's what I meant. The Arcam isn't the cleanest of amps, and that's probably why they benefit so much from bi-amping; adding a power amp would probably make them a very good match with Quads?

You are probably bang on there PP, although I've not heard them with a bi-amped Arcam set-up.

David Halliwell

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone help. I have a set of Rogers Studio 1 speakers

(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310900687875?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)
Rogers Studio 1 Speakers. Exactly as pictured above - Below are more pictures that you can enlarge by clicking on them.
Good condition for their age. There are some light marks to the solid wood cases but nothing major. The speaker grills are very slightly bowed in the middle due to the material pulling the sides in, just about visible in the 7th photo above.To the back of each speaker right at the top there are 3 very small holes - These are pictured in the photos below.
The speakers come with two 'DIN' plugs that you can wire into your system.
As I'm sure you'll know if you're looking at these they were hugely expensive when new and are a very high quality pair of speakers. The BBC always used to use Rogers speakers due to their quality and longevity. They sound superb with that tone that you just don't get from modern speakers. Each speaker measures approx. 64cm tall, 30cm wide & 31cm front to back.
Had them running this afternoon along with a Quad 405 & Quad 33 Pre Amp which are also listed for sale. I also have some other audio equipment for sale so please take a look.
DELIVERY - PLEASE READ Please note that these finish on a Thursday evening. A courier will be arranged to collect on Monday so they're not sitting in some warehouse all weekend. Delivery via courier - Highlands & Islands inc. NI extra, please ask. Can deliver worldwide, if your destination isn't listed please contact me for a quote but being large & heavy it'll maybe costly. European delivery quoted is for Western Europe only. - If you live in Eastern Europe, somewhere remote or on an Island it will me more. If you would like to collect then you're more than welcome however if collecting, cash on collection only please.
Any questions please ask.
Item Photos
003480036-.html
click to enlarge
and a thorens deck

Thorens TD-160B MK II with custom plinth & upgrades

Taking my inspiration from ‘Inspire Hi-Fi’ of Chesterfield, I have carried out a number of upgrades to this classic Thorens deck which are detailed below.

The sound quality is now first rate with a real improvement in bass control and imaging. Very fine indeed.

To buy one of these decks with the SME arm and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge and then have the Inspire HiFi upgrades, would cost in the region of £1000

Plinth

Custom built plinth made from 25mm European oak, finished with Danish oil

Oak spiked feet from Russ Andrews - work really well in isolating the plinth from acoustic feedback

Neutrik gold phono sockets - a modification of my own design. I have wired the SME arm to the sockets using fine circuit wire rather than using the heavy SME cable which interferes with the suspension bounce. The original cable is supplied and can still be fitted.

Suspension & sub chassis

LINN ‘Black’ springs and grommets from Russ Andrews with new, longer bolts - the LINN springs are a much ‘denser’ spring and bring more stability to the suspension

Double layer of cork sheet fitted to the underside of the sub chassis to reduce resonance

Bearing

I have fitted a PTFE bearing thrust pad supplied by SRM Techand have re-lubricated the bearing with their 'Black Oil' which contains Molybdenum Disulfide and Graphite.

Belt

Brand new OEM ‘Thacker’ belt fitted as used by Thorens in period

Arm and cartridge

The arm is an SME S2 improved with the fixed headshell and is immaculate.

The cartridge is an Ortofon 2M ‘Blue’ with just 50 hrs use.

Other

The acrylic lid is included with original hinges. You cannot use the hinges on the new plinth, but as these can be removed the lid can beplaced on the new plinth as a free standing unit

The original plinth is also included in the sale and is in fine condition (see archive image of deck before rebuild). There is a tiny 'dint' on the black alloy top-plate just to the right of the Thorens TD160 logo which is about the size of a pencil tip

but using a cambbidge audio preamp and NAD D 3020 Digital Amplfier / DAC

The Rogers speakers sound very quiet through this system. I presume it's the output of the amp??

I also have a Leak Studio 20 valve amp which needs a bit of TLC. Would that be powerrful enough if it was restored to power thorens to rogers via preamp?

I have no idea about the technical aspect of this stuff, obviously.

Dave

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
gazza j said:
one off:

OK. Call Loudspeaker Services in Hampshire. 01705 233332. This number given to me by Mike O'Brien, former MD of Swisstone Electronics that owned Rogers. Hope it helps.

TRENDING THREADS