Replacing a Cambridge CXA60

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I currently have the following set up but would like to make a few changes, notably to the amp..

Cambridge CXA60
Cambridge CXC
Cambridge Alva Solo pre amp
Thorens TD 145 MK2
Dynaudio Emit M20

I'd like to replace the Cambridge set-up (All three units) with an all in one amp that has the same kind of sound quality but also a built in phono stage
Budget around 1K. Any suggestions?

Thanks
David

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
The alva solo is a quality but it's an extra unit that takes up a bit of space...I just feel like a direct link will be better sounding and less faffing around...
The CXA61 and 81 would have been ten times better with a phono stage and tone ajustements..they missed a trick there imo

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
I've narrowed things down to two amps...The DENON PMA800NE and the IOTAVX SA3
Although, less of an audiophile unit, the Denon seems to have good reviews and is lauded for it's warm sound. It also comes with a phono stage, a DAC and tone controls.
The IOTA is more appealing from a tech point of view. Great reviews aswell but closer to the Cambridge CXA60 that I already have.
One missing feature from both is the front port for a smartphone that the CXA has...

matthewpiano

You're not going to gain much with the kind of options you're looking at, other than having one box less and a change in sound. If you like the sound you are getting from the CXA60, this could mean a change for the worse, as Cambridge Audio kit has a neutral sound that is surprisingly hard to get elsewhere. You also risk diminishing the sound you get from vinyl, as not all integrated phono stages will be as good as the Alva. You really need to be looking at Arcam or Rega for that, but you'll lose other functionality.

Reactions: rainsoothe

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
So which amp should I be looking at (even in a higher price range)?
I need a decent phono stage, a DAC and ideally a front port for smartphones (AUX)
Also at least four RCA inputs and tone controls
Doe such a thing even exist? :)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts