Replace my Pioneer BDP-LX70A with what?

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Currently I run a Pioneer BDP-LX70A into my Pioneer SC-LX85 amp.

Mainly used for BluRay/CD playback but I'm thinking of upgrading it for something that plays SACD too....

I don't need analogue outputs, 3D, 4K or multiple HDMI outs. Any thoughts on the Denon DBT-3313UD or Marantz UD7007 as replacements for the LX70A?

Regards

D

Deleted member 2457

david_tring said:
Currently I run a Pioneer BDP-LX70A into my Pioneer SC-LX85 amp.

Mainly used for BluRay/CD playback but I'm thinking of upgrading it for something that plays SACD too....

I don't need analogue outputs, 3D, 4K or multiple HDMI outs. Any thoughts on the Denon DBT-3313UD or Marantz UD7007 as replacements for the LX70A?

Regards

I have owned that Pioneer and seen the Marantz, I would also add the Oppo 103 to the list, in my opinion the Marantz is over priced.

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks bigboss (may I say that your icon picture is the best of any here (professor hat's being an honourable very close second...)).

I should have added in my post that I'm looking for the best picture/audio quality for the price - although hopefully, given the forum we're on, that should be taken as read.

So I'm happy to pay for a higher-spec player, up to around the UD7007 price range, if its AV performance is better, even if it comes with hardware features I don't need. After all, my Pioneer amp is 9.2 but I'm never going to run more than my current 5.1 speakers.....

david_tring

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
And thanks gel too!

I read the What HiFi review of the Oppo and was bit concerned abou their two headline negatives - "Music lacks rhythm and integration" and "Picture quality isn’t massively better than the best budget machines".............. as music playback and picture quality are my number one concerns!

How do you rate the 3313UD, as WHF hasn't reviewed it yet I believe?

D

Deleted member 2457

david_tring said:
And thanks gel too! I read the What HiFi review of the Oppo and was bit concerned abou their two headline negatives - "Music lacks rhythm and integration" and "Picture quality isn’t massively better than the best budget machines".............. as music playback and picture quality are my number one concerns! How do you rate the 3313UD, as WHF hasn't reviewed it yet I believe?

The Oppo is better than the Marantz in my opinion just. There is not much in it but worth saving your money and buying the Oppo. The picture quality is definitely one of the best around, slightly better than the Marantz in my opinion. Music playback, I play it through my amp and it sounds amazing! The remote control also works well as a CD player remote. The Oppo is great! Don't know about the Denon. I did buy the Marantz though and send it back.

D

Deleted member 2457

If you are running the Blu-ray player through your Pioneer amp too, then music will sound amazing.

I have demoed blu ray players at different price points and found no difference in blu ray picture quality. I wont worry about sonic performance as you can get your brilliant LX85 to decode audio. There could be small differences in DVD upscaling, if that's important for you. Check AV forum reviews, in every blu ray player review, they say the same thing for blu ray picture performance. Don't take my word for it, demo before purchase.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
david_tring said:
How do you rate the 3313UD, as WHF hasn't reviewed it yet I believe?

Luckily, about four months ago Home Cinema Choice magazine reviewed the Denon and its matching amplifier (three years ago I bought the then Denon pair for the parlour, as you can see in my signature, and I remain very happy with both, though I'll freely concede that maybe I'm not the world's most critical listener) and you can read the review here http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/denon-avr-3313-and-dbt-3313ud-review/14778 .

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Bigboss. If it just a transport, then wouldn't a Pioneer player make sense as it incorporates PQLS anti -jitter delivery to your LX85? Against that, the UD7007 is a definite improvement over my Panny BD80, as you would hope. Also excellent with SACDs and BLURay hi res. audio although I do not, as yet, use its analogue output. It excels with Neflix streaming too, with near BluRay PQ and SQ - high bandwidth fast broadband required. Netflix has just upgraded to so-called super Hd streaming, so Monday's final episode of the superb Breaking Bad should make even better viewing.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Using PQLS from a Pioneer blu ray player to a receiver has an advantage in some ways for the sound.

However having owned a Panasonic (BD60), 3 Pioneer Blu ray (LX71, LX74, LX75) players and now the Marantz UD7007 there is only one player I would want.
I don't think the 7007 is over priced at £600 either, Its a great player.
Its the WHF Reference player- saw it on their reference rig on the top of the range 4K Sony display couple of weeks ago. The TV was good in ways - but it lacked gradation bad - it went from grey to solid black with no definition - LCD suck in this regard. They also had Sony intelligent frame creation enabled which while watching something like Transformers 2 which is what was on might look impressive I hate the effect and would have preferred to have seen the set with that option off.

Either way the player puts out an incredible solid, smooth picture and I have no inclining to upgrade it. I have not felt that with any of the players I had before.

The only other player I would consider is the Oppo 105 because it has a linear power supply. But I would buy the upgraded version with a better supply in. I may look to get my 7007 upgraded to have a linear supply at some point if funds permit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts