Pioneer VSX-924 vs. Sony STR-DN1050

HoundDog

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi to all,

sorry for bothering but I am really confused which AV receiver should I buy.
My previous receiver was Yamaha RX-V1900. I sold it becaouse of lacking 3D support, not so many HDMI inputs, only 1 HDMI output etc...
However I also moved to smaller flat so I really do not need so much power.

I have Klipsch RF-52 speakers with Klipsch SW10 sub and will be upgrading to 5.1 later this year (Klipsch centre and surround speakers). I have LCD TV and projector (that is why I need 2 HDMI outputs).

Mainly I will use AV receiver for listening music via Spotify connect and Airplay.
And of course for watching movies and also listening audio CDs in stereo mode.

I currently use Pioneer BD-150 bluray disc player, (becaouse it is region free also on BD), Apple TV, Playstation 4 Nintendo WiiU and Raspbery Pi with XBMC.

I read both reviews of Pioneer VSX-924 and Sony STR-DN1050.
I am really confused. Some says Pioneer is better if you are looking for good sound (Pioneer also received EISA 2014 award) but then others says Sony is better.

What do you recommend for my usage?

I will be very thankful for all suggestions and help.

All AV receivers have their own signature sound. You need to demo and see which you prefer. Are you not considering Yamaha?

"Having moved to a smaller flat, I do not need so much power" doesn't make any sense. A Mercedes will still drive better on city roads at 30mph as compared to a Ford Ka.

HoundDog

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for an answer and advice.

Thing is I live in Slovenia and believe it or not I cannot "test drive" receivers anywhere.
Yes hard to believe.

Yamaha Aventage series is priced 1000 euros and it is out of reach at moment.

However I want to try some other brand as I had Yamaha for last 10 years.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hello, I preferred the Sony when I heard the comparison. It has a leaner balance than your Yamaha, though, but in terms of detail it's the best £500ish amp I've heard.

HoundDog

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello Ketan,

thanks for an answer. I narrowed it down to Sony STR-DN1050 then but yet I found Pioneer SC-1224 for very good price. It is 200 euros more then Sony.

Did you review Pioneer SC-1224? Do you recommend it over STR-DN1050 or it is not worth additional money?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts