Replace my DAC MAGIC already? Premature? Let me know...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just purchased an Arcam a32. I am using a low-end Mrantz CD players (2001 model) that happens to have a digital output, which i've connected to the DAC Magic with a good cable. Now, esthetically, this looks horrible. The sound is very good. However, I see that superfi is selling their Arcam DV135 (DVD Player) for £290. This is originally £900! I looked at the specifications, and the DAC is extremely good! -
24 bit/192 kHz Wolfson 8740 Audio DACs (as used in ARCAM's FMJ CD36 & AV9 processor)
11 bit/216 MHz Analogue Devices Video DACs- now, the question is, will i sonically better off by selling the DAc magic and the dodgy Marantz and get this bargain? Can such a cheap Marantz transporter be better than a £900 top end DVD suited for hi end-audio? Bsides, the DVD sound will be great too because of the inbuilt DAC, moreover, it will be ARCAM+ARcam compatibility...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Bismarckian:I've just purchased an Arcam a32. I am using a low-end Mrantz CD players (2001 model) that happens to have a digital output, which i've connected to the DAC Magic with a good cable. Now, Asthetically, this looks horible. The sound is very good. However, I see that superfi is selling their Arcam DV135 (DVD Player) for £290. This is originally £900! I looked at the specifications, and the DAC is extremely good! -
24 bit/192 kHz Wolfson 8740 Audio DACs (as used in ARCAM's FMJ CD36 & AV9 processor)
11 bit/216 MHz Analogue Devices Video DACs- now, the question is, will i sonically better off by selling the DAc magic and the dodgy Marantz and get this bargain? Can such a cheap Marantz transporter be better than a £900 top end DVD suited for hi end-audio? Bsides, the DVD sound will be great too because of the inbuilt DAC, moreover, it will be ARCAM+ARcam compatibility...

No, no, no! The Arcam dvd player will not be as good as the DacMagic.

A

Anonymous

Without wanting to sound frivolous, buy one and see what works best for you. Unless you're going to use it as a DVD player as well I wouldn't bother. The next step up from the DACMagic is going to be a big one so perhaps you could keep an eye open for a cheap CD36 or something of similar ilk. The Unison Unico CD is very very nice and should be snapped up if the analogue sound suits.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Bismarckian:even though this Marantz is low end? are you sure??

I have my DM connected to my BD player. I used to have the slightly older, but better Arcam dvd player, FMJ DV27A (£2k rrp) and I'm happier now.

T

the record spot

Go down the Stello SA100 Signature DAC (£650) route for a significant DAC upgrade, then add the current Cyrus XT transport when the cash allows. That'll be a combo to make the rest sit up and take notice!

A

Anonymous

Bismarckian,

The DACs in the DAC Magic are the Wolfson 8740 !!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Pauldosteo:
Bismarckian,

The DACs in the DAC Magic are the Wolfson 8740 !!

But the DacMagic isn't just the 8740 and then nothing else.

Absolutely. They cost £3.49 each (£2.99 each if you buy 1000 of them). The DACs used in the £1300 Benchmark DAC1 Pre (Analogue Devices 1853) only cost about 7 dollars each! These are just components. It is the overall design that matters.

Cheap as chips!

I have WM8740's in my Arcam Solo-Mini and they are in the Rega Apollo. I expect they are to be found in a whole bunch of other CD players and DACs at different price/performance levels.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Go down the Stello SA100 Signature DAC (£650) route for a significant DAC upgrade

That's pretty expensive, I got hold of a Stello (not from RA) for £450 last year and ditched it soon after for the Benchmark DAC1 at £650.ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
the record spot:Go down the Stello SA100 Signature DAC (£650) route for a significant DAC upgrade

That's pretty expensive, I got hold of a Stello (not from RA) for £450 last year and ditched it soon after for the Benchmark DAC1 at £650.ÿ

The Stello DA100 is less than the DA100 Signature (RRP £695). I only found out there were two versions a few days ago when researching it and the Benchmark.

On the April Music website they are listed as $695 and $895 respectively.

A

Anonymous

chebby:Octopo:

The Stello DA100 is less than the DA100 Signature (RRP £695). I only found out there were two versions a few days ago when researching it and the Benchmark.On the April Music website they are listed as $695 and $895 respectively.

Lord, these DAC companies don't make it simple.

I may have to rethink my Lavry purchase now.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts