Replace Mission 753 speakers with what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Thanks - I'd spotted that and another, but is there really no other amp, ever, that works with the 753s to transform the trebles?
I think you could spend a long time trying to find one.
Most amplifiers are designed to be neutral so they aren't necessarily going to tame that treble. The only option perhaps is to find something with tone controls.

treesey

Most amplifiers are designed to be neutral so they aren't necessarily going to tame that treble.

Agreed. So we are back to finding some (probably) 2nd hand floorstanders up to 1000 GBP - I didn't 'win' the Spendor S8e unfortunately, so....

Are the older PMC speakers well regarded?

Agreed. So we are back to finding some (probably) 2nd hand floorstanders up to 1000 GBP - I didn't 'win' the Spendor S8e unfortunately, so....

Are the older PMC speakers well regarded?
They are however transmission line speakers may need an audition if you haven't heard any before.
Which model did you have in mind?
as suggested before it might be worth looking at new Missions
On eBay there are Dali Oberon 5 and MA Silver 300 going for good prices... As are the Spendor S5e's

Reactions: treesey

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Just for info, I had an Audiolab 8000a integrated back in the day and that did not tame the treble for me, nor did my Exposure pre/power combo.
Yesterday I walked past a HiFi shop that had some Wharfedale Evo 4.4 floorstanders B grade for just over £800. No idea what they sound like, but looked a lot of speaker for the money.

Reactions: Al ears

treesey

Just for info, I had an Audiolab 8000a integrated back in the day and that did not tame the treble for me, nor did my Exposure pre/power combo.

That's where I've got to, about 20 years behind you :)

Yesterday I walked past a HiFi shop that had some Wharfedale Evo 4.4 floorstanders B grade for just over £800. No idea what they sound like, but looked a lot of speaker for the money.

WhatHifi like them - so it's one speaker I can demo next to the Oberons - but I need a frame of reference.

Hence my other thread asking for amplifier advice on the 753s.

If you want to hear 753's at their best then pair them with Pioneer's truly great A-400 amplifier. However the balance of this combination is on a knife edge. The quality of the source and its overall presentation are of paramount importance and key to ensuring as nearer as a perfect handshake is achieved with the 753's/A-400. Get it all right and the performance is utterly spellbinding.

I don't recall hearing a 555ESD so can't say how it will fair with 753's/A-400. However and fwiw, a digital source from the era of the 753's and the A-400 that works a treat with the 753's and the A-400 is Pink Triangle's Ordinal DAC.

Most amplifiers are designed to be neutral so they aren't necessarily going to tame that treble. The only option perhaps is to find something with tone controls.
A school mate who now lives in Manchester has the Mission 753s. The amp he uses is a Technics. I've not heard it but, like me, he's had hi-fi since the 1970s

If you want to hear 753's at their best then pair them with Pioneer's truly great A-400 amplifier. However the balance of this combination is on a knife edge. The quality of the source and its overall presentation are of paramount importance and key to ensuring as nearer as a perfect handshake is achieved with the 753's/A-400. Get it all right and the performance is utterly spellbinding.

I don't recall hearing a 555ESD so can't say how it will fair with 753's/A-400. However and fwiw, a digital source from the era of the 753's and the A-400 that works a treat with the 753's and the A-400 is Pink Triangle's Ordinal DAC.
What you're saying is the Pioneer/Mission combo some may find it bright, while others won't, right or wrong?

Thanks - and points that I've tried to investigate with bi-amping the 753s from the Yamaha - which is 95w from each sub-amp if you see what I mean. Absolutely an improvement, but with the recordings it's still too tiring. And I know those high frequencies can sound much better even with the old MA5s, at the cost of image and midrange and bass control.
Yes a better amplifer would help, (which is why on my other thread I asked for recommendations) but I can't see better amplification changing the fundamentals of the speaker.
I might try a good used Arcam A39 (which must be 'better' than old Audiolab?), but would that really make the highs behave?
Arcam A39 is a very good amp. It should solve the tiring or brightness issues. However, as I'm not familiar with Mission it's a guess.

As I mentioned earlier a mate uses Technics amp with 753s.

treesey

I have heard good things about the Pioneer.... how much of this is hype? But I could get one just to try it.

And which exact technics? Though if you haven't heard it PP......

Ask him to put on the Cure 'Just like heaven' and listen to that cymbal.

I have heard good things about the Pioneer.... how much of this is hype? But I could get one just to try it.

And which exact technics? Though if you haven't heard it PP......

Ask him to put on the Cure 'Just like heaven' and listen to that cymbal.
I messaged my old school mate last night. I made a mistake, it isn't Technics but Teac. He also said those Missions aren't overly fussy when it comes to amplification.

I suppose this now comes down to personal taste.

You might want to re read what I've said.
I did. Found it fairly contradictory.

"you want to hear 753's at their best then pair them with Pioneer's truly great A-400 amplifier. However the balance of this combination is on a knife edge. The quality of the source and its overall."

Just for clarity. It's a great combination but it could be on a "knife edge". So are you saying in the right environment, with the right source, it's great... or are you saying something else.

Just found that confusing.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts