Replace i-grado

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I love my i-grado headphones, but spend a lot of time on public transport. As these headphones leak so much sound, I am looking to buy headphones which are quiet enough to use on a packed train, at high volume, with no disturbance to my fellow commuters (do such headphones even exist).

I currently couple my i-grados to a fiio amp and Samsung mp4 player and have no intention of upgrading these yet.

What I would like is the fantastic value for money sound quality of the i-Grado, with a budget of around £100-120. Is this even possible? I mainly listen to heavy metal/hard rock so would expect little distortion throughout the sound spectrum, being able to pick out background sounds over driving guitars and drums with clear vocal content. As i've said, although it's bad for my hearing (i fear after so many gigs it's to late anyway), I would like to be able to enjoy my music at higher volume with barely detectable leakage. On the few occasions i've been brave enough to use my Grados on the train, half the carriage asked me to turn them off, but the other half asked to try them then were smitten.

I do prefer over the head or neck-band headphones, but am curious about the possibilities of in- ear 'phones. Being a complete novice though, my imagination just cant get to grip with the thought that in-ear phones could provide me with the sound quality i seek. The portable aspect of them does appeal to me though. At the end of the day though, sound quality, no sound leakage and function are kings.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I am getting desperate.

idc

With a budget of £100 odd then I would try Bose Around Ear or Quiet Comfort headphones. The Around Ear are closed back and don't leak very much sound at all, so any bus or train noise would cover that. They also have a similar American emphasis on dynamic and bass to the Grados. HMV and Apple Stores usually have them on display to try. Thats where I auditioned them and they to be my next purchase. I have not tried the Quiet Comfort ones.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think you'd be surprised at how good a quality decent in-ear phones can provide. If I were you, I'd punt on a pair of Sennheiser CX 300-IIs (available on Amazon for under £15). From this you can then easily imagine the quality of a pair of 5 star rated in-ears at £100 are like.

If you don't like the in-ear experience in terms of comfort (some don't), at least you haven't lost too much money and there's probably someone you know you could sell them on to. However, for sound isolation, in-ears really can't be beaten in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts