Relocating Virgin V+ Box

kevsta1970

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I am in the process of re doing my lounge and will be changing the location of the TV etc. I have contacted Virgin to ask how much it would be to move the V+ box. I was surprised at the response in that I was told to do it myself and save the £99 fee + call out.

Grateful if some could advise as to what cable I would need and where I could get it from. Am I able to purchase the connections too?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Do you have any small independant electrical retailers/satellite installers near you, ideally with their own shop? They'll sell you however much cable you need and the connectors (F-connectors I think, might be wrong), they should even fit them to the cable for you, doesn't take two seconds, then you just screw the extension cable onto the end of the existing cable and the other end into your box as normal, it's very simple.

Good to see Virgin suggesting this, rather than just taking the money, I suspect you might have been a bit annoyed at spending £99 for a five minute job!

Either that or Maplin should have what you need and they'll advise on the right cable, their staff tend to be quite geeky about that sort of thing I find.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Cable used for internal connection is RG6. Though RG59 will also do the job. Whichever you decide to use make sure the connectors are done up tight (not too tight). Loose connections are a source of unwanted signals getting back into the cable network. I'm actually a bit surprised they suggested D.I.Y. The connectors used are crimped on and not everyone has access to the crimp tools used nowadays.

Rich

kevsta1970

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi thanks for the replies. For infomration I have found someone selling the cables on eBay in handy 2m, 3m and 5m lengths with connectors which seem very reasonable. No more than £3 (excl. p&p). Will kidly post the address if others will find this useful

TRENDING THREADS