Relative volume levels Meridian M1MkII and D600

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have just got my M1MkII speaker amplifiers repaired by Highview Video. New capacitors were needed. I have been using D600 as main speakers.

With the four speakers together to match volume the M1s on full volume from the 101B is only at 43 volume level on the D600. At a level of 55 the D600 are very loud and they go onto unbearly loud at over 60. The same signal is feed to the tuner input on the 101B controlling the M1 and directly to the D600 analogue input from a Terratec DMS6X fire USB external sound card.

The M1 have 100 Watt amplifiers, the D600 70 Watt. I don't or shouldn't want to run them so loud but it was always nice to know that the M1 would bounce the ceiling joists if I wanted them to; that mantle seems to be the domain of the D600 now.

Should the D600 be so much louder than the M1?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is all about matching levels and sensitivity. From memory, the older Meridian pre-amps were not particularly high output though I would have thought they would drive the M1s to full output before getting to maximum on the volume control. I'm struggling to recall the details, but check for gain options on both the pre-amp and speakers.

The D600s though are a whole different ballgame, being bigger and more modern than the M1s it is really no surprise that they have a more potent output capability. When the two setups are used as described there is no relationship between their volume control positions, just make sure that they go as loud as you would like and leave it at that.

As mentioned above, it seems that the 101b/M1 lacks a little drive wheras it would seem that the USB dac has ample power to drive the D600. In this setup you need to be aware that the D600 may well be giving full undistorted output well below the maximum setting on the volume control, 'unbearably loud at over 60' suggests high levels of distortion, best to consider a setting of 50-55 as the practical maximum.

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The D600 do not have USB and I am not using the digital (optical) inout but the analogue. They are much smaller (94 H x 21 W x 30 D cm) than the M1 (91 H x 51 W x 33 D) although slightly taller and have a lower rated output.

I don't think at a volume level of 60 there is distortion, but that is the kind of level of sound I expected from the M1. It is possible that the 101b is not providing the same level of output it used to. Can I feed the M1 without a pre-amp as I do the D600? The 101B and M1 are balanced, twisted pair using the DIN input. The M1 also has a RCA phono socket - could I use that as input?

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see you are referring to the USB DAC of the Terratec. I am feeding the 101B with the same ouput as that going to the D600.

It could be that the 101b is not providing the output that it once did. Can I by-pass the preamp? The M1 would be fully driven as the M60C is with volume level controlled by the Terratec software on the computer. The D600 remote contols it's volume level, as well as being controlled by the computer.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The 101b and the M1 speakers are pretty old and do not, as far as I can tell conform to any modern standards, the D600 is very much a system concept.

If the 101b/M1 setup is not playing as it once did, I would suspect the interconnects and check those carefully also check any gain setting on the 101b and sensitivity settings on the M1s.

These are complex and non standard components, I have not had hands on any of these for many, many years and can not remember enough to offer specific help.

Try looking for dedicated Meridian forums.

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have checked the interconnecting cables and used alternatives. I have also used the tape input; having used the radio input before from teh computer. The tape input is lower. I also feed the computer output directly to the RCA input on the M1 amplifier - this is even lower volume.

At normal levels they seem okay with the volume control of the 101b a little higher than it used to be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ultraminiature said:
I have checked the interconnecting cables and used alternatives. I have also used the tape input; having used the radio input before from teh computer. The tape input is lower. I also feed the computer output directly to the RCA input on the M1 amplifier - this is even lower volume.

At normal levels they seem okay with the volume control of the 101b a little higher than it used to be.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you are sure there is a difference, take a look at the M1s, somewhere, maybe inside, there is a switch for sensitivity, if it is set to the lowest sensitivity, 0dB, it will be quieter than the higher sensitivity which is -20dB, if you can find this, try both settings.

I can not recall if the 101B has adjustable outputs or even rca/phono connectors as an option, this is really stretching the memory.

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
M1_circuit.JPG

The layout on the side visible is unmarked. There are a few pots. I don't see anything that has a two way switch selection.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I really can't remember details, but 'somewhere' there is a way to alter the input sensitivity from 775mv (odB) to 7.75mv (-20dB0.

Maybe the technician who did the re-capping for you might know?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts