Regarding the Pioneer SC-LX85 review

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've read the review of the SC-LX85, but I did read also in the review:

"Drives up to 11 speakers… yes, 11
In fact, thanks to its array of preout sockets and the latest DTS Neo X processing mode, the Pioneer can feed 11 speakers with the use of another power amp: the 5.1 set-up most folk use, plus additional pairs of surround-back, front-height and front-width speakers."

But if I read the manual correctly I can't see the possibility to process up to 11 speakers with the processing inside of the Pioneer SC-LX85. Could you please tell me how you did this in the review ? Maybe some use-cases ?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Ah so the subwoofers are seen as 'speakers', I thought that the the subwoofers are always mentioned as .1 or .2 in the speaker configurations.

And why is there a need for a additional amplifier for the 2 subwoofers ? The LFE output is just a 'splitter' and is not amplified so using active-subwoofers are needed just like any other A/V receiver.

Because there are 11 speaker terminals, but only 9 are amplified.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You don't need an extra amplifier for the subwoofers, provided they're active subs.

The extra amp is used if you want to give each speaker in an extended set-up its own amp channel: as you say, the Pioneer has only nine channels of power amplification onboard, so without an extra amp some of the 'extra' channels share a single onboard amp channel.

A

Anonymous

So what you mean is the following:

- 9.2 channels are amplified by the SC-LX85 by itself, which was know already

- 11.2 channels are possible but only 9 channels are amplified by the Pioneer and the 2 extra channels need an extra amplifier

Could you explain me then, how the processing is done ? Is the processing done by the Pioneer ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the processing is done by the Pioneer. If you think of it in terms of 11.2 speakers, with each speaker powered by its own amplifier channel, it makes sense.

A

Anonymous

Okay.

But I can't any information about that in the manual.

Did you test it with the test model ? And could you please give us some examples ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you check out the pages I referred to above, you will see they explain it.

But I am really not sure what 'give some examples' means: there's no content available with this configuration on it in discrete form, so it's a matter of the amp processing the extra width/height information from the channels available on the disc.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, thanks for your respons !
But I think there is a lot lost in translation from my side, just because English is not my native language.
So I've tried to compute a new question maybe this is a bit more clear:

How is it possible that in the review of What Hi-Fi on the Pioneer SC-LX85 will discuss the possibility of a 11.2 speaker configuration?I started a forum topic on the forum he of What Hi-Fi which you can find here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/regarding-the-pioneer-sc-lx85-reviewI see no references to the manual a 11.2 speaker configuration. And also at various forums. AVForums.com is AVSforum and as I believe strongly argued that it is not possible to 11.2 speaker configuration control via the Pioneer SC-LX85 also not an additional amplifier.I hope I by writing in Dutch, and comforting a Google-translation to make it a little clearer what I mean. Maybe a Dutchman who reads this message can explain in better English so my question is very clear.Dutch original
Hoe is het mogelijk dat er in de review van What-HiFi over de Pioneer SC-LX85 wordt gesproken over de mogelijkheid van een 11.2 speaker configuratie?Ik heb een Forum onderwerp gestart op he forum van What-HiFi welke je hier kunt vinden: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/regarding-the-pioneer-sc-lx85-reviewIk zie in de handleiding geen enkele referenties naar een 11.2 speaker configuratie. En tevens op verschillende forums. zoals AVForums.com en AVSforum wordt er volgens mij stellig beweerd dat het niet mogelijk is om 11.2 speaker configuraties aan te sturen via de Pioneer SC-LX85 óók niet met een extra versterker aangesloten.Ik hoop dat ik het door het in het Nederlands te schrijven, en een Google vertraling bij te doen het enigzins duidelijker is wat ik bedoel. Misschien dat een Nederlander die dit bericht leest kan uitleggen in beter Engels zodat mijn vraag écht duidelijk is.
How is it possible that in the review of What Hi-Fi on the Pioneer SC-LX85 will discuss the possibility of a 11.2 speaker configuration?

I see no references to the manual a 11.2 speaker configuration. And also at various forums. AVForums.com is AVSforum and as I believe strongly argued that it is not possible to 11.2 speaker configuration control via the Pioneer SC-LX85 also not an additional amplifier.
I hope I by writing in Dutch, and comforting a Google-translation to make it a little clearer what I mean. Maybe a Dutchman who reads this message can explain in better English so my question is very clear.

Dutch original:
Hoe is het mogelijk dat er in de review van What-HiFi over de Pioneer SC-LX85 wordt gesproken over de mogelijkheid van een 11.2 speaker configuratie?

Ik zie in de handleiding geen enkele referenties naar een 11.2 speaker configuratie. En tevens op verschillende forums. zoals AVForums.com en AVSforum wordt er volgens mij stellig beweerd dat het niet mogelijk is om 11.2 speaker configuraties aan te sturen via de Pioneer SC-LX85 óók niet met een extra versterker aangesloten.

Ik hoop dat ik het door het in het Nederlands te schrijven, en een Google vertraling bij te doen het enigzins duidelijker is wat ik bedoel. Misschien dat een Nederlander die dit bericht leest kan uitleggen in beter Engels zodat mijn vraag écht duidelijk is.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy said:
I have just purchased one, but will not be able to set it up until the weekend plus I have a new Sky 1TB box to install as well.

Hi Michael , when you've set up and had a chance to listen ..... i would appreciate your thoughts as to how it compares overall to the LX72...... am thinking about the upgrade but still unsure about what route i want to take ,so any feedback would be very useful.

michael hoy

Hi V1c,

As soon as I have set it up I will post back any observasions, I just hope it is a big step up from my 72.

I do think the 72 is an excellent amp and the sound with my Apex is the best I have had in a long time.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Great reading, the review. I agree that LX85 sounds very good and Pioneer did take a step in the right direction with this receiver.

But I do not think it is a HUGE upgrade from LX83 which I also own when it comes to how it sounds, it's a upgrade, but not that big.

When it comes to pure power, it is a downgrade from previous models with it's B&O ICEpower amps.

LX83 had far more control over my speaker elements then LX85, so I'm pretty sure LX83 was far more powerful then LX85.

I run a 5.1 B&W CM-series system, CM9 frontspeakers, CMC centerspeaker, CM1 surroundspeakers and ASW10CM subwoofer.

Anyway, if you dont have to difficult speakers, dipping very low in impedance, this receiver is great and should drive your system great without the need of a poweramp. And at last, it sounds GREAT in stereo to !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts