Vinyllover

Jun 20, 2020
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade a 20-year-old Project 2 turntable with Ortofon 2M Blue, using Marantz PM 6010 OSE amp and Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers. I’m torn between either Project X2/Classic Evo and Rega Plannar 3/6 and having thought I’d get a Project, I’m now veering towards the Plannar 6... Does anyone have any advice? Also would it be worth it upgrading to Ortofon 2M Bronze? How does the Rega Exact compare?

I am looking to upgrade a 20-year-old Project 2 turntable with Ortofon 2M Blue, using Marantz PM 6010 OSE amp and Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers. I’m torn between either Project X2/Classic Evo and Rega Plannar 3/6 and having thought I’d get a Project, I’m now veering towards the Plannar 6... Does anyone have any advice? Also would it be worth it upgrading to Ortofon 2M Bronze? How does the Rega Exact compare?
I would read other threads on here regarding Rega turntables.
If you are happy with rega cartridges then the turntables are excellent, however should you wish to upgrade, and Rega cartridges are not the be all and end all, then the X2 or something that is more adaptable makes more sense.
The Planar 6 and tonearm are excellent but you will be hindered by upgrade potential.

rainsoothe

I suggest at least auditioning (if not a switch) to Nagaoka MP200 or 150/Audio Technica VM740ML/Goldring 1042 (instead of Ortofon/Rega, try to buy the TTs without cart and then add one of the above). And also audition the two turntable brands. If you do go for the Rega, also buy an Edwards Audio Little Belter replacement belt, as the stock white one will run fast (which you can adjust via the Neo PSU, in all fairness) but has a chance of having pitch instablity - the Edwards Audio one is better made, more even and spot on 33.33.

Gray

.....also buy an Edwards Audio Little Belter replacement belt, as the stock white one will run fast (which you can adjust via the Neo PSU, in all fairness) but has a chance of having pitch instablity
No doubting the influence of a belt with regard to speed.
But what do you mean when you say that the stock belt will run fast?
How can the belt run any faster than the motor driving it?

Last edited:

daytona600

Replace your 20year old Project with a new model
Sadly you just missed the £500-1000 trade in for a new one which ran for a few months this year
no one makes upgrades for the 2million + projects sold but countless companies make Rega upgrades

rainsoothe

No doubting the influence of a belt with regard to speed.
But what do you mean when you say that the stock belt will run fast?
How can the belt run any faster than the motor driving it?
Thickness? I dunno, I just know that all (or at least a huge number of) Rega turntables run fast (my P6 was 33.45) and decent third party ones cure this problem (which is bigger for people with no Neo PSU).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts