Rega RP3 with Elys 2 or Ortofon 2M Red/Blue

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My RP1 with the OM5E cartridge has served me well, reading on other forums it appears that the OM5E is prone to picking up surface noise, pops & crackles - albeit the SQ is pretty good but as I have relaised not all vinyl pressings are the same!

I am on the uprade path to an RP3 - which cartridge should I go for? The 2M Red/Blue or play safe with the Elys 2 & the Rega Synergy?

If you go through a dealer see if you can get a demo of these cartridges.

Personally I cannot get on with the sound of the Ortofon moving magnets but you may obviously be different.

If you can I would suggest you also look at the Grado prestige range (either Red or Silver are around the same price).

I know quite a few perople that are perfectly happy using the Elys 2 ............. at least until they can afford the Exact, it's the synergy like you say. :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah thanks spoke to Paul@hifi- lounge this morning - he thinks the Elys 2 is the one!

I am going to arrange a demo to see how much of an upgrade the RP3/Elys2 over the RP1/OM5E is.

He also mentioned the Dynavector carts but I dont want to spend anymore than £550 and the Dynavector cart he mentioned was £300 on its own.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve

tomorow I'll pic up my new Rega RP3 with Goldring 1012gx cartridge and the extra cost is more 100€ then the Elys 2 was advised by my Rega Dealer being a good mach.

Like i've said befor i've demo the Rp3 with the Goldring 1012gx, connected to a Brio R and loved the result. A warm and detaild sound that i didn't forget, and want to replicate in my home.

I'll post some pics tomorow!

Hope you find your vinyl "Nirvana", i've find mine... :dance:

:cheers:

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Looks as if I'm too late, but I've been enjoying a Dynavector 10x4 on my old Planar 3, in a R200 arm, since 1983, so you'd have no problems, as the 10x5 is within your budget..

Having said that, my 10x4 being past it's best I'm now considering replacing it with one of the two cartridges of the you mention, the Elys 2, 2M Blue, or the Denon 110, another high output MC cart.

A new Dynavector is above my budget.. Looking forward to your reviews.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve

every thing needs a litle burn in and cartridges needed too!

My RP3 today is sounding so mutch better, it needed to losen up a bit. Right know i'm listenig to Lloys Cole and the Commotions, Easy Pieces like never befor! More 3d image, a different sound stage, all the instruments are separeted by space, every thing flows...

Now my wife changed record and Gazebo "I like Chopin" with that piano intro put me flowting...

Music just music!!!

slithytove1

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hijack/piggyback but can you recommend a dealer in London who will allow home demos for cartridges around the Rega Elys 2 price range?

I'm looking for replacement for OLD Linn K5 with an AT stylus on RP3 RB300 around £100 but have been prevaricating for months for fear of getting it wrong. Does such a dealer exist or am I being unrealistic to expect home demos for such a relatively lo cost item? Ta

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Think I need to demo a 2m Red & Elys 2 - both on an RP3 looks like analogue seduction in Peterborough will be the place to go for demo ! My local Rega Dealer doesn't do Ortofon!

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'll iterate once more that the phono amp used can improve the sound a great deal. Don't miss the test winner Leema Elements Phono!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Had my RP3Elys 2 a week now....very impressed with the Elys 2

This is my best TT I have ever owned and i want to look after, everytrime I play a record i clean it with a carbon fibre brush, blow the stylus - is this enough in terms of cleaning?

Also my little girl (21/2) was fascianted with something going round and wanted to investigate and knocked the tonearm and it bounced a few times onto the record - what a horrible noise - hope I havent damaged the stylus - it plays fine!

Thanks

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
NHL said:
I'll iterate once more that the phono amp used can improve the sound a great deal. Don't miss the test winner Leema Elements Phono!

apparently the phono stage in the Brio R is good enough for the RP6

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
NHL said:

apparently the phono stage in the Brio R is good enough for the RP6

Good enough is not good enough!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Steve

Would you mind sharing some thoughts on your Rega Rs1s? I'm contemplating a pair having heard them a couple of times and would welcome some long-term user feedback on them.

Many thanks

Matthew.

They are lovely musical speakers, I dont find them boxy!

If you listen mainly to dance music (orbital) then probably not suitable, howewver they cope quite well with Massive Attack/Morcheeba etc - however my music taste has broadened and they sound fantastic with acoustic, jazz and stuff like fleetwood mac, roxy music, Sade etc.

I have mine on SE24 stands, 18 inches from back wall slightly toed in but i dont think they are fussy with placement seeing as they are rear ported!

They were not my first choice speaker, but I couldnt get Neat Motives or Kefs to work in my lounge - the RS1 did which just proves they are unfussy with placement.

I would recommend a demo at home - however i think they are a lovely speaker, im happy with them and they look stunning in gloss black!

I will be getting a bigger lounge soon so will be demoing the RS3 and using my RS1 for rears!

matthewpiano said:
Many thanks Steve. They do seem well suited to me! Will let you know how things go.

Matthew - try and listen to Ruark Sabre IIIs. Like the Regas, although rear ported, they are unfussy when it comes to position. I know they are a few years old now, but still IMO up there with the very best in the sub-£1000 bracket.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:
Many thanks Steve. They do seem well suited to me! Will let you know how things go.

Matthew - try and listen to Ruark Sabre IIIs. Like the Regas, although rear ported, they are unfussy when it comes to position. I know they are a few years old now, but still IMO up there with the very best in the sub-£1000 bracket.

they sound interesting!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts