Rega Planar 3 Set-up

jnstern

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi, all:

I have a Rega Planar 3 and Rega Fono Mini A2D pre-amp. I was looking for advice on what amp and speakers to pair with the turntable and pre-amp. I have not made any changes to the turntable like the cartridge yet. Thanks!

Hi, all:

I have a Rega Planar 3 and Rega Fono Mini A2D pre-amp. I was looking for advice on what amp and speakers to pair with the turntable and pre-amp. I have not made any changes to the turntable like the cartridge yet. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.
All I can say is, as you already have an external phono preamp, whatever amplifier you settle on does not need a moving magnet input of its own.
Also you don't match speakers to a turntable you find some that work well in your room, and for this it is best of you go audition yourself. We cannot really advise as we don't know your room size, your budget, or indeed have your ears, and I am not being facecous here.
Perhaps more information is needed here in order to help you shortlist some items.
what other sources do you intend to use with the amplifier for a start?
When did you get the turntable? Is it recent or old?

jnstern

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your response! I would intend on using the amplifier strictly for the turntable. The room that I am using is about 15x15. The turntable is also new. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information!

Thanks for your response! I would intend on using the amplifier strictly for the turntable. The room that I am using is about 15x15. The turntable is also new. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information!
Presumably that's 15 feet?
You have to remember this is an international forum.
what sort of budget did you have in mind for speakers and amplifier and what can you actually get to listen to wherever you live.

jnstern

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Yes, it would be 15 feet. Sorry about that! I would like to keep my amplifier and speaker budget around $800-1000. The types of music will vary, but it will probably be mainly along the lines of jazz and rock. Thanks!

Yes, it would be 15 feet. Sorry about that! I would like to keep my amplifier and speaker budget around $800-1000. The types of music will vary, but it will probably be mainly along the lines of jazz and rock. Thanks!
That is fine. Are you in the States?
any dealers around you can get to?
Difficult to help too much as what would normally be recommended in the UK may be priced completely different over there.
Your best bet is to look at American products or those you can actually get to see at a local dealer.

jnstern

Oct 17, 2021
Visit site
Difficult to help too much as what would normally be recommended in the UK may be priced completely different over there.
Your best bet is to look at American products or those you can actually get to see at a local dealer.

I am in the U.S., but we are unfortunately not terribly close to any dealers. Would you happen to have any amp recommendations, not accounting for the difference in price between the UK and U.S.? Thanks!

Assuming you will split your budget fairly equally between amp and speakers then the Rega Io amplifier would not be a bad place to start, you could sell on your A2D as you wouldn't need it with this amp.
This and possibly a pair of Acoustic Energy 109 speakers?

Last edited:

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I have an A2D, mainly for digitising my LP collection, not for quality, but convenience, the A2D is not as good as the Naim Stageline, but then it is half the price! I quite like its Naim like sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts