Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone. First post here. I’ve been wanting to upgrade my set-up for awhile
now and finally have the means to do it.

Came across a used Planar 3 with 230V AC synchronous motor, RB300 arm and Ortofon 2M red for sale at what seems like a decent price ($550). It’s at least 16 years old though.

The P1 Plus, on the other hand, is brand new and has some really good reviews. I’m also considering a P1 package that comes with the A2D MKII preamp (I would be getting this preamp even if i choose to get the Planar 3).

Which would be a better option? I’m hesitant about the Planar 3 because of how old it is.

The P1 plus already had a built in phono stage so no reason for the A2D preamp unless you plan to digitize LPs.
If you are not then the straight P1 is the better option.
The new P1 might give you the confidence of having a warranty of you are not confident about turntable setup

DCarmi

If it is a tagged "Planar 3", rather than a "P3" then it is 21 years or older. It may may need a bit of work. I have had mine for a bit longer and whilst it still has the same motor but it has had the arm rewired, which is not a job I could do. It's a bit of a "camel-eye of a needle" thing.

I'd second going for a new P1.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts