Rega Planar 3 or 6

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I have just recently upgraded my hifi system after 40 years, my new system consists:
Vincent SV237MK Hybrid Amp
S.M.S.L SU9 DAC
Rega Phono 3 Preamp and Arcam R phono preamp
Kef LS50meta speakers on S2 stands
S.V.S PB 2000 Pro subwoofer
My question is, do you think my system warrants purchasing the RP6 ,or should I stick to the RP3.
I have a selection of cartridges
Ortofon 540 MK2
AT540 ML
AT M95SH
Shure M97X
Ortofon MC10 Super
You might also recommend which cartridge would suit best.
one thing I should mention ,at 73 my hearing is not as it used to be a little lacking in the upper frequencies, perhaps this is another consideration regarding the RP6
Your comments would be much appreciated
Thanks

We would be the last to tell you what is best for you considering your age and hearing. You have a good number of years on me yet.
The upgrade you are looking for isn't going to happen with the RP6 in my opinion.
If you'd intend sticking with Rega then a more appropriate cartridge might be all you require.
The cartridges you list appear to be pretty vintage.
The issue with Rega turntables is their lack of ability to adjust VTA without washers or shims.
The RP6 isn't going to make upper frequencies suddenly appear.
The cartridges you have might be better replaced by something like the Goldring 1042 rather than a change in deck.
not too sure why you have two phono preamps either, I would bell both and buy a Trichcord Dino Mk3
Can you explain?

Last edited:

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
We would be the last to tell you what is best for you considering your age and hearing. You have a good number of years on me yet.
The upgrade you are looking for isn't going to happen with the RP6 in my opinion.
If you'd intend sticking with Rega then a more appropriate cartridge might be all you require.
The cartridges you list appear to be pretty vintage.
The issue with Rega turntables is their lack of ability to adjust VTA without washers or shims.
The RP6 isn't going to make upper frequencies suddenly appear.
The cartridges you have might be better replaced by something like the Goldring 1042 rather than a change in deck.
not too sure why you have two phono preamps either, I would bell both and buy a Trichcord Dino Mk3
Can you explain?
Thanks very much for your reply ,perhaps I should provide a little more information for you. My current turntable is a Michell Hydraulic reference with fluid arm purchased new in 1978.Apart from fitting a silicon nitride ball bearing , glass platter, and numerous belts it is still like new.(Picture Attached). The reason for the two phono preamps is that the Rega Phono3 is only for MM, which I purchased first and the Arcam Phono is MM and MC. Maybe you do not think the Rega Turntables would be an upgrade on my existing Michell. Your comments would be very welcomed.I should also point out that I now am retired in Southern Spain and nearest hifi shop is 200miles away so shop testing is not possible .All my new equipment has been purchased after reading numerous reviews, and so far so good !
Cheers

Attachments

• Michell Transcriptors Reference.JPG
    Michell Transcriptors Reference.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 7

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Keep your RP3 & add a Neo PSU & Fit a decent arm & cartridge
Funk upgrades below & will sound like a P8/P10 or buy a Project or Technics if you want a TT which works out of the box in minutes

The Funk Firm Rage 1 modifications to Rega turntables | Hi-Fi+ (hifiplus.com)
FUNK FIRM RAGE 1 UPGRADE KIT REVIEW. A 3-PIECE KIT TO IMPROVE YOUR REGA RP3 OR PLANAR 3 TURNTABLE - YouTube
Hello
Haven't actually purchased a Rega yet,my question was which one to buy.
My current turntable is a Michell Transcriptors Reference with fluid arm. Wasn't sure if the Rega would be a good upgrade

Lovely decks those Michells, I coveted one myself back in the day.
Personally, if it is still going strong, I would forget about a Rega and keep it.
Primarily a turntable is only as good as it's arm / cartridge combination so I don't feel Rega would be an upgrade as such.
I would still spend money on a really good cartridge than pay out same on a new Rega, although others may have a different feeling.

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Lovely decks those Michells, I coveted one myself back in the day.
Personally, if it is still going strong, I would forget about a Rega and keep it.
Primarily a turntable is only as good as it's arm / cartridge combination so I don't feel Rega would be an upgrade as such.
I would still spend money on a really good cartridge than pay out same on a new Rega, although others may have a different feeling.
Appreciate your thoughts,I would never get rid of the Michell, it's left to my son in my will😅 . From your.comments regarding the Rega turntables, it appears that they are very pro there own cartridges. I actually am looking for a turntable up to £1000 to run alongside my Michell that I can swop cartridges with,perhaps you could suggest an alternative turntable that I should consider

Appreciate your thoughts,I would never get rid of the Michell, it's left to my son in my will😅 . From your.comments regarding the Rega turntables, it appears that they are very pro there own cartridges. I actually am looking for a turntable up to £1000 to run alongside my Michell that I can swop cartridges with,perhaps you could suggest an alternative turntable that I should consider
I might suggest the new Pro-ject Debut Pro, a very decent deck for £699, and it has adjustable VTA plus a reasonable cartridge fitted.... :)

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I might suggest the new Pro-ject Debut Pro, a very decent deck for £699, and it has adjustable VTA plus a reasonable cartridge fitted.... :)
Glad you mentioned that one,it was on my list,is it difficult to set up,and will I be able to swop cartridges from my collection. My old amp is a Pioneer M73 Reference Control Amp and Pioneer C73 Reference Preamp, it's Class A and gets hot but still delivers a very nice sound. I have it connected to a pair of Acoustic Energy AE500's, which have recently replaced my AE1's. I propose to connect the new turntable to my Vincent and have the Michell connected to the Pioneer. Then I will take great joy from swapping things around as we do. Really grateful for your comments as in the country here and nobody to get idea's from

Glad you mentioned that one,it was on my list,is it difficult to set up,and will I be able to swop cartridges from my collection. My old amp is a Pioneer M73 Reference Control Amp and Pioneer C73 Reference Preamp, it's Class A and gets hot but still delivers a very nice sound. I have it connected to a pair of Acoustic Energy AE500's, which have recently replaced my AE1's. I propose to connect the new turntable to my Vincent and have the Michell connected to the Pioneer. Then I will take great joy from swapping things around as we do. Really grateful for your comments as in the country here and nobody to get idea's from
No problem, we aim to please. The only issue with swapping cartridges, apart from the lack of removable headshells, which you will not get on a Rega either, is you will need to re-align the cartridge correctly when you move it to a different tonearm.
not something you want to do very often if you are unsure of how to do it.
The Project should come ready set-up to a point, you may have to set downforce, I am not exactly sure what it entails if you are not getting it from a dealership.
Does the Michell tonearm have a removable headshell?
Unfortunately modern decks, that are any good, with removable headshells are few and far between and you would need more than your budget to get the one I would recommend.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

If a removable headshell is advantageous then maybe one of the new Technics turntables would be of interest. Purchase additional headshells and pre-mount cartridges then plug and play. Just a thought :)

Reactions: nopiano
If a removable headshell is advantageous then maybe one of the new Technics turntables would be of interest. Purchase additional headshells and pre-mount cartridges then plug and play. Just a thought :)
It's what I was thinking of but my suggestion of SL1200GR would be over his budget whilst the 1500C is an unknown quality to me and includes a fitted phono preamp that the OP doesn't need.

I was going to say he would have trouble finding replacement headshells for that Fluid tonearm but apparently not....

Last edited:

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
No problem, we aim to please. The only issue with swapping cartridges, apart from the lack of removable headshells, which you will not get on a Rega either, is you will need to re-align the cartridge correctly when you move it to a different tonearm.
not something you want to do very often if you are unsure of how to do it.
The Project should come ready set-up to a point, you may have to set downforce, I am not exactly sure what it entails if you are not getting it from a dealership.
Does the Michell tonearm have a removable headshell?
Unfortunately modern decks, that are any good, with removable headshells are few and far between and you would need more than your budget to get the one I would recommend.
Hello
Yes the Michell has a removable head shell. Getting really interested in the Project now and find I can get it from my dealer with either Sumiko Moonstone or Sumiko Olympia fitted. Don't know anything about these cartridges, perhaps you could enlighten me, either are in my budget. The Project Debut Carbon Evo is a great price here at the moment,549 euros without cartridge, that's around £485. How do you feel it rates against the Rega, as I have mentioned before I have to go on reviews or advice from others as no chance to audition.
Cheers

The Sumiko cartridges are what normally come prefitted if you buy that turntable in the US because the cartridges are manufactured there. Don't know why your dealer would use them as in Europe they normally come fitted with the Project Pick-it Pro cartridge which is an updated Ortofon.
I have not heard the Sumiko cartridges but if Project choose to fit them in some parts of the world they cannot be that bad.....
I would still take the Pro over the Evo but it's your money. Note the lack of removable headshells on these Projects though.
additional headshells fire your Michell would make cartridge swaps easier one they have been set-up initially.
I consider the Projects to be better than the equivalent Rega decks when it comes to after market cartridge fitting and they have easily adjustable VTA.

D

Deleted member 108165

It's what I was thinking of but my suggestion of SL1200GR would be over his budget whilst the 1500C is an unknown quality to me and includes a fitted phono preamp that the OP doesn't need.
Aah, sorry Al, didn't realise the Michell had a removeable headshell. In that case, personally, I'd be spending money on additional headshells, better carts and/or phono-stage, as you have already suggested. And if not already competent at swapping carts then get some tools and learn, it is a worthwhile skill to master if you are miles away from a dealer.

Reactions: Al ears

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Sorry didn't realise you were talking about the Pro, just had a look at it and yes it is a nice looking turntable, doesn't come with a cartridge fitted here, if I were to purchase ,would my Ortofon 540mk2 ,be a good match for it, as the stylus was purchased new only 6months ago and not old. I also take on board your comments about the Technics SL1200GR,obviously in a different ball park ,would have to do some serious thinking before laying out that sort of money though it's not impossible ,but would then have to spend another chunk of money for a cartridge to match it. I suppose I should also bring another new addition into the mix. Just invested in a Cambridge Audio CXNV2 Streamer which am very impressed with. So maybe the Technics might not be right for me.

Sorry didn't realise you were talking about the Pro, just had a look at it and yes it is a nice looking turntable, doesn't come with a cartridge fitted here, if I were to purchase ,would my Ortofon 540mk2 ,be a good match for it, as the stylus was purchased new only 6months ago and not old. I also take on board your comments about the Technics SL1200GR,obviously in a different ball park ,would have to do some serious thinking before laying out that sort of money though it's not impossible ,but would then have to spend another chunk of money for a cartridge to match it. I suppose I should also bring another new addition into the mix. Just invested in a Cambridge Audio CXNV2 Streamer which am very impressed with. So maybe the Technics might not be right for me.
Odd dealers you have out there as most other places comes with cartridge prefitted. See below:-
Yes your 540 should be a very good match.
If you did go for the Technics then you wouldn't need to buy another cartridge as your MC10 Super or either Audio Technica would suit it just fine as long as they are still in reasonably good health :)

Last edited:

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Odd dealers you have out there as most other places comes with cartridge prefitted. See below:-
Yes your 540 should be a very good match.
If you did go for the Technics then you wouldn't need to buy another cartridge as your MC10 Super or either Audio Technica would suit it just fine as long as they are still in reasonably good health :)
I think I am probably going to go for the Project Debut Pro at this point ,will have to see what the boss thinks about going the extra mile for the Technics, it's difficult trying to explain to her how it's an investment for the future. Regarding my Audio Technica cartridges, they are both less than a year old. Can't thank you enough for your valued comments will let you know what I end up with
Cheers

I think I am probably going to go for the Project Debut Pro at this point ,will have to see what the boss thinks about going the extra mile for the Technics, it's difficult trying to explain to her how it's an investment for the future. Regarding my Audio Technica cartridges, they are both less than a year old. Can't thank you enough for your valued comments will let you know what I end up with
Cheers
A pleasure sir.
Please do, I am sure whatever you end up with will produce excellent replay of your LPs

rayolight

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
A pleasure sir.
Please do, I am sure whatever you end up with will produce excellent replay of your LPs
Hello again sorry to be a pain,but just had a conversation with my hifi dealer and he is offering me a Clearaudio Concept with MM fitted at an incredibly good price ,so,before I bite the bullet, I would ask you for your valued thoughts. The reviews I've seen look really good
Cheers

Hello again sorry to be a pain,but just had a conversation with my hifi dealer and he is offering me a Clearaudio Concept with MM fitted at an incredibly good price ,so,before I bite the bullet, I would ask you for your valued thoughts. The reviews I've seen look really good
Cheers
it's a very good turntable, does he mention exactly what cartridge they would fit? It normally comes with a Concept cartridge
Note that it does not have a removable headshell, if this is not required then it's a very safe bet as they are about £1400 here without the cover, and £500 more if it is the wood version....
It is quality engineering and the tonearm will take potential cartridge upgrades with ease.
otherwise no issues except I don't believe it comes with any sort of dust cover

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts