Rega Planar 1 Counterweight

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
For future reference, if I want to change my cartridge what cartridge should I be looking at? As in do I need to make sure that the downforce is of a certain value, or the cartridge is of a certain weight.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Priam,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The RB110 is perfectly capable of taking any Rega cartridge and any other cartridge for that matter.

The issue in your case is that to balance the arm out and apply the correct down force with the counterweight at the collar as per the Carbon cartridge you need a specific Bias 2 which is normally supplied as part of the performance pack and is heavier in weight than the standard Bias 2, hence the problems you have endured.

I am afraid to say that the dealer should have known this.

Could I sincerely apologise for the issues you have encountered and ask that you get them to supply the performance pack Bias 2 which will work absolutely perfectly with the counterweight at the collar on the RB110.

Best regards,

PD.

priam said:
I bought it from https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0071LK5D8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

I assumed that since it was an option for the performance pack, and I'm already satisfied with other things but the cartridge that buying it separate would make sense. Did not know that they are actually two different products.

I bought all the Rega parts from Amazon. The Bias 2 was a separate purchase and not from the performance pack, I already have a leather mat, and I have doubts over the offered belt. So I thought I'd just purchase the Bias 2. Dealership is checking his stock to see if he still has a performance pack lying around.

For future reference, if I want to change my cartridge what cartridge should I be looking at? As in do I need to make sure that the downforce is of a certain value, or the cartridge is of a certain weight.

PS. You should really announce somewhere that the Bias 2 as a standalone purchase will not work with the Planar 1

+1

I'll bet there are not many people out there that know there are two types available and if that anti-skate is difficult to change then many might think twice about buying a turntable such as this unless they are simply happy to run as supplied.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Priam,

The weight of the standard Bias 2 is 4.45g the weight of thr prrformance pack Bias 2 is 4.67g, we also use different heavier mounting hardware on the performance pack Bias 2 increasing the total weight from 5.81g to 6.09g.

Therefore any cartridge 6g and over would work on the RB110 at a downforce of around 1.75 / 2g, but you would obviously need a set of stylus scales to set correctly set the playing weight.

Hope that all makes sense and helps,

PD

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Right, thank you for the clarification. If it is at all possible, could you please send an email to the Thai dealership.
Last time I talked to them, they seemed confused.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Priam,

If you mean Komfortsound they are our distributor as well, but given that you did not buy from them what is the point of me contacting them ?

Notwithstanding we will correspond with them.

PD

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
priam said:
They seemed confused ...

They are not alone!

I am fed up with the slow drip, drip, drip of facts and would have preferred the whole thing explained at the beginning. The non-standard 'option' cartridge (that wasn't part of an upgrade package, nor bought from the approved dealer/importer, but from a UK dealer via Amazon without them knowing it was for a Planar 1).

Anything else - not yet revealed - that might help make Paul's job a bit easier?

chebby said:
priam said:
They seemed confused ...

They are not alone!

I am fed up with the slow drip, drip, drip of facts and would have preferred the whole thing explained at the beginning. The non-standard 'option' cartridge (that wasn't part of an upgrade package, nor bought from the approved dealer/importer, but from a UK dealer via Amazon without them knowing it was for a Planar 1).

Anything else - not yet revealed - that might help make Paul's job a bit easier?

+1

However I feel that the OP is not at fault buying a cartridge elsewhere especially when it's not publicised by Rega that there are actually two models. I have never bought a cartridge from the same dealer that provided the deck, it's not financially viable and only makes sense if you don't have the knowledge to fit it yourself.

Lesson to learn, if you intend immediately upgrading a plug and play turntable, buy a different deck.I don't know the Planar 1 inside out as Paul probably does but who would make one where the anti-skate appears to be so difficult to adjust? Or is it? I am a tad lost when it came to this comment.

If, as Paul states, the tonearm will take any Rega cartridge, and it can be balanced by backing off the counterweight from the stop, then surely the anti-skate should be easy to apply? Or am I missing the point here?

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
chebby said:
priam said:
They seemed confused ...

They are not alone!

Apart from the cartridge nothing. How was I supposed to know that the cartridge was different from the performance pack? They are both called Bias 2 for crying out loud.

Al Ears, the Anti Skate is built into the tonearm, I know, mind-blown.

priam said:
chebby said:
priam said:
They seemed confused ...

They are not alone!

Apart from the cartridge nothing. How was I supposed to know that the cartridge was different from the performance pack? They are both called Bias 2 for crying out loud.

Al Ears, the Anti Skate is built into the tonearm, I know, mind-blown.

In Pauls' defence the words 'preset bias' would have got me looking elsewhere if I intended to modifiy it at some point. There is nothing wrong with this turntable when used as issued but thereare obvious hinderences if you have an urge to upgrade. The quick-start guide clearly states bias is set automatically and gives no indication on how you can change it if required, and judging by my past Regas this is something that does need addressing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It would seem that the RB330 tonearm (on the latest Planar 3 and Planar 6 models) is now the minimum level that still provisions both user calibrated tracking force and adjustable anti-skate.

chebby said:
It would seem that the RB330 tonearm (on the latest Planar 3 and Planar 6 models) is now the minimum level that still provisions both user calibrated tracking force and adjustable anti-skate.

That's quite a financial jump then, to get what is commonly acepted as normal functions.

I can understand the lack of easily adjustable VTA on Rega decks but not lack of the anti-skate. It would appear this is becoming more common in the plug-and-play type decks we are seeing more and more of, which is a pity, but I guess from the manufacturers viewpoint it is necessary as a cost saving strategy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:

That's quite a financial jump then, to get what is commonly acepted as normal functions.

I can understand the lack of easily adjustable VTA on Rega decks but not lack of the anti-skate. It would appear this is becoming more common in the plug-and-play type decks we are seeing more and more of, which is a pity, but I guess from the manufacturers viewpoint it is necessary as a cost saving strategy.

I guess the assumption is that the cartridge provided (or the approved heavier Bias 2 upgrade) will be all the first-time vinyl user is going to need until upgrading and they will not, generally, be looking to do a lot of experimentation with cartridges.

I’d still get a couple of spare replacement styli though :) (The ‘entry level’ Regas change regularly as do the supplied cartridges. RP1, P1, Planar 1 ...?)

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
[quotde=nopiano]

A few posts ago I think someone mentioned a blob of blutak, and I'm beginning to think that would be much easier solution!

[/quote]

That just reminded me of my beloved wondering why styluses ( ot is it styli) and cartridges were so expensive becacuse when she was a little girl they would just go to Woolworths and pick up one for pence. I think that was the end of the conversation.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
grimharry said:
nopiano said:
A few posts ago I think someone mentioned a blob of blutak, and I'm beginning to think that would be much easier solution!

That just reminded me of my beloved wondering why styluses ( ot is it styli) and cartridges were so expensive becacuse when she was a little girl they would just go to Woolworths and pick up one for pence. I think that was the end of the conversation.

That was because they were usually bought for cheap, auto-changer mechanisms in Dansette style record players and were often ceramic with sapphire tips tracking at around 5 grams. They cost very little and would have to be replaced every few weeks or they’d chew your records. Nowadays a decent’ish elliptical diamond stylus should last up to around 1500 hours playing time with a bit of care and correct set-up.

They looked like this and could be flipped over for a 78 stylus ...

http://www.a-v-a-online.com/acatalog/Replacement_Styli_for_MARCONI_Systems_.html

... is this what your beloved remembers?

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Paul, I understand that you are quite under the weather, however the dealership aren't certain about the Bias from the Performance Pack, since they have the tracking force at 1.75g and it still trips. Please try to guide them.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Priam,

I am not under the weather, but I am away on a family holiday.

Which dealer are you refering too ? The one that sold the cartrdige or another one ? If they are not using a performance pack Bias then as I have previosuly said they will not be able to solve your problem, it is as simple as that.

You have contacted me on another forum and I have replied there too, could I please request that you keep your mails to just one forum so I can best address your problems and try and ensure that you are totally happy. At the moment there are so many imponderables it is not at all easy for me to sort everything out for you.

PD

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Latest updates:
They found something magnetic, somewhere.

Apparently because the Rega RB110 was designed for the Carbon Cartridge, the anti-skate is locked at 2g. They tell me they've found a way to change this. In summary because the tracking force of the Bias 2 is 1.75g they are either recommending a change of the stylus (back to Carbon) or allow them to fiddle with the Anti-skate (at least what they believe is the AS, I think this is what they were referring to when they talk of magnets).

Waiting for a green light or instructions from Rega on how to proceed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts