Rega Planar 1 Counterweight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
You're right, they don't know what's wrong with it, miscommunication in first call. However they did say that the only problem with it the first time, was the cable being too stretched. Will bring it in to the dealership.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
priam said:
I have no idea what they did to the turntable, but the end result was heavier downforce, which has disappeared. Sorry for the late reply, the webboard marked me as spam. Trying to find out asap what they did.

Just to be clear, my dealership is Komfortsound of Thailand, which I believed is authorised.

It is Rega’s official Thai dealer/distributor, so at least Paul or someone can call them or email them about your problem now.

The stretched cable theory sounds unusual. How does that happen i wonder?

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Paul for your personal touch. Leaving my Turntable at the dealership overnight, apparently the weight is so off that it is sliding off the Ortofon DS-3 gauge. Will update as soon as possible. We're all baffled by the weight loss.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
So...now they are saying that the tonearm that came prefitted with my Rega, the RB 110 wasn't made to support the Bias2. What the hell is going on? The Bias2 was available as an aftermarket upgrade. Granted I bought the cartridge after I bought the TT and not with the Performance Pack. The last time I had it serviced was with the Bias2 too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
priam said:
So...now they are saying that the tonearm that came prefitted with my Rega, the RB 110 wasn't made to support the Bias2. What the hell is going on?

If 'they' are the same Rega dealer you bought both the Planar 1 and Bias from, then 'they' are entirely responsible for mis-selling it in full knowledge of the stated incompatibility.

You should get a refund for being sold a cartridge they knew wasn't suitable and they should fit/align the original cartidge free of charge.

priam said:
The Bias2 was available as an aftermarket upgrade. Granted I bought the cartridge after I bought the TT and not with the Performance Pack. The last time I had it serviced was with the Bias2 too.

Even if they weren't initially aware that your Bias 2 purchase was intended for a Planar 1 then they should have brought it to your attention when you first took it to them for service.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Not the same dealer, now totally confused, the Bias 2 is supposed to be compatible with the Planar 1, due to it being available as an upgrade pack. I don't know anything, anymore.

The only problem with another cartridge is that the counterweight - unlike most decks - seems designed only for a preset playing weight. If the new cartridge is lighter it should not be hard to fit an additional weight. If it's heavier, the counterweight needs to be pulled away from the pivot slightly. I'm not familiar with how it is secured in that model.

I expect Mr Darwin can explain, but if not we can check the Rega specs for cartridge weights.

priam said:
I have a gauge, my dealer has an Ortofon Gauge. I think the problem isn't with the downforce. Will need Paul to weigh in.
Excusing your "weigh in" pun, this is a bit confusing. In your very first post you said the tracking weight had reduced by three tenths of a gram. Now you say the problem isn't with the downforce. That's a contradiction to me, but perhaps I'm missing something?

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Excuse me, they fixed the weight problem, somehow, I think they changed the screws for a heavier downforce (emphasis on I think). Now they think there's something wrong with either the VTA or the cartridge not being compatible

priam said:
Excuse me, they fixed the weight problem, somehow, I think they changed the screws for a heavier downforce (emphasis on I think). Now they think there's something wrong with either the VTA or the cartridge not being compatible

I cannot ever recall Rega making a turntable that you couldn't upgrade the cartridge on.

This thread is getting very confusing and it sounds like said dealers don't have a clue. You can forget about VTA being an issue for kmost cartridges you are likely to use.

What cartridge was originally fitted to your deck prior to the Bias 2 'upgrade'? My guess it was the Carbon.

Rega don't state the weight of the Bias 2 but the Carbon weighs 5gm. There is however, a significant difference in recommended downforce with Carbon at 2-3gm and Bias 2 at 1.75gm.

If the 110 tonearm cannot accomodate both then i suggest you get your money back for the missold Bias or change the tonearm.

....or you could stick a coin on the headshell with blutack.... ;-)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
priam said:

Rega and it's founder have set ideas on VTA. They have regularly stated that mechanical integrity/rigidity of the turntable - record interface is more important than 'dubious' VTA adjustments (that are not standard with manufacturers or record makers anyway).

An official Rega dealer will not be excusing this problem on VTA because Rega will not back them. (Certainly not when it comes to two cartridges of their own. You are being 'handled' by rthe dealer I think (in the hope you'll go away without wanting a refund most likely).

Try and contact Rega themselves on this matter.

priam said:
But as you already noted, your new cartridge is part of their Performance upgrade. So it must be compatible. And I agree with what was said above, the VTA is neither here nor there.

What isn't clear, is how the reduced tracking weight (versus the Carbon) is arrived at. It might simply be that the Bias weighs the relevant quantity less, but more likely the counterweight needs to come back slightly, away from the pivot.

What tracking force can you achieve, with adjustment?

Of course, it could be something totally different, like a damaged stylus tip or failing suspension.

nopiano said:
priam said:
But as you already noted, your new cartridge is part of their Performance upgrade. So it must be compatible. And I agree with what was said above, the VTA is neither here nor there.

What isn't clear, is how the reduced tracking weight (versus the Carbon) is arrived at. It might simply be that the Bias weighs the relevant quantity less, but more likely the counterweight needs to come back slightly, away from the pivot.

What tracking force can you achieve, with adjustment?

Of course, it could be something totally different, like a damaged stylus tip or failing suspension.

Just a note I found on a customer support comment... Rega have advised that as the RP1 is designed as a plug and play deck with the Carbon cartridge and they will not supply without one.
The carbon cartridge supplied is only £25.99 retail so there would not be a great saving on the deck without this fitted.If you want to use an RP1 with a different cartridge you would need to ensure that it is heavier than the Carbon cartridge supplied (5g) or you will not be able to balance the arm. You will also need a stylus pressure gauge to ensure that it is tracking at the correct weight.

One would assume then that the Bias 2 is indeed heavier otherwise they wouldn't supply if as part of the Performance Pack and that it should be compatible with the RB101 arm and the correct tracking force for it should be able to be set for it (with the original counterweight...)

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
That's what I'm hoping, is Paul on break?

Also of note is, I have no idea how my tracking force looks like, when I took it in it was missing ten grams, based on their Ortophone gauge, but I doubt that was accurate as it kept slipping off the metal plate gauge itself. I think what they did is increased the weight of the screws, from what I've heard. Haven't been to the dealer in two weeks, so I can't confirm anything apart from the fact that they have fixed the downforce to 1.75g.

Their problem right now is that it keeps skipping or is stuck in a groove.

priam said:

Also of note is, I have no idea how my tracking force looks like, when I took it in it was missing ten grams, based on their Ortophone gauge, but I doubt that was accurate as it kept slipping off the metal plate gauge itself. I think what they did is increased the weight of the screws, from what I've heard. Haven't been to the dealer in two weeks, so I can't confirm anything apart from the fact that they have fixed the downforce to 1.75g.

If the downforce is correct and the cartridge itself is good, i.e. the suspension has not collapsed, then any stipping will be down to the state of your records.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
priam said:

If the downforce is correct and the cartridge itself is good, i.e. the suspension has not collapsed, then any stipping will be down to the state of your records.

Every record? They used theirs as well as mine, and I'm sure their records are squeaky clean, if you'll pardon the pun.

priam said:
Al ears said:
priam said:

Every record? They used theirs as well as mine, and I'm sure their records are squeaky clean, if you'll pardon the pun.

I that case it sounds like the turntable needs replacing or at least let another dealer look at it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Would it kill the dealer to give a full refund or give you a working turntable?

I don't know how these things work in Thailand but you are not being served very well by UK standards.

(Or maybe we need the other half of the story to get a bit of clarity.)

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Thailand being Thailand, there's only one official dealer. And I don't want to risk going to an unauthorised one. Really waiting for Mr. Darwin right now.

Update from the dealership, the weight is fine, the problem right now is the Anti-skate, because the RB110 was built for the Carbon it had a preset value of 2.0 grams which couldn't be changed by conventional means, because it's all internal, so that it would correspond with the 1.75g downforce exerted by the Bias 2. Apparently dealer did something funky and he thinks he fixed it.

Waiting for confirmation from Britain.

Al what does a collapsed suspension look like?

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
So my Bias 2 is different from the Bias 2 that would've come with the perfomance pack. I didn't buy the Bias2 from the dealership, but over Amazon. Will they still replace it?

Is there a special serial number I should reference?

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Priam,

I am sure that the supplying dealer will sort things out for you, if he has any problems get him to contact me and I will assist.

We would expect that all of our franchised dealers and authorised distributors would be fully cognisant with all aspects of Rega products and would be able to advise accordingly, had you stated that the Bias was for a Planar 1 then they would have supplied the correct part.

Best,

PD

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I bought it from
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0071LK5D8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507280255&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bias+2&dpPl=1&dpID=41CnBN3LdcL&ref=plSrch

I assumed that since it was an option for the performance pack, and I'm already satisfied with other things but the cartridge that buying it separate would make sense. Did not know that they are actually two different products.

I bought all the Rega parts from Amazon. The Bias 2 was a separate purchase and not from the performance pack, I already have a leather mat, and I have doubts over the offered belt. So I thought I'd just purchase the Bias 2. Dealership is checking his stock to see if he still has a performance pack lying around.

For future reference, if I want to change my cartridge what cartridge should I be looking at? As in do I need to make sure that the downforce is of a certain value, or the cartridge is of a certain weight.

PS. You should really announce somewhere that the Bias 2 as a standalone purchase will not work with the Planar 1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts