Rega P5 entry level cartridge: Goldring 2100 or Elys2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Getting my first turntable, a discounted Rega P5 (for the price of an RP3 :)) but with no cartridge, so I need to pick one and your help is most welcome.

I would like to consider only Goldring and Rega because those are the ones available locally. This being my first turntable I am thinking of starting slowly with entry level cartridge/phono-stage and then upgrade the rig. If I decide to continue in the vinyl path, on the long run I will upgrade cartridge, phono-stage and PSU.

So that said my evident choices would be Goldring 2100 or Elys2 for about the same price. I don't prefer 'warmer' or 'colder' cartridges - I like my sources neutral and let speakers/amp tailor the character to my liking.

- which would you recommend for a P5, Goldring 2100 or Elys2?

- ...or do you think I am completely wasting my time using one of these cartridges in a P5, and should instead go straight for, say, a Goldring 1012gx ?

Thank you for your help and wish me good luck in the world of the grooves :)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Nice choice!

I have been tempted by this deal myself but decided I must use self control :) :)

I have used the Elys 2 in the past and liked it and the Goldring 1042. I cannot comment on the 2100 but have heard that it's a bit marmite (you either love it or hate it) which cannot be said for the 1012 ot 1042 which seem to be universally praised. If it was my money I would go with the Goldring 1012 or 1042 and they would suit the Rega very well.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your comments Mitch.

P5 is in the mail with no cartridge so... Any more feedback? Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hey NeoVibe... I'm in the same boat. I purchased a P5 w/o a cartridge as well. I'm curious, what did you eventually get for yours? I've been trying several of my older, (low end) carts with mine, but I really need to spring for a better MM one..

A

Anonymous

Hey NeoVibe... I'm in the same boat. I purchased a P5 w/o a cartridge as well. I'm curious, what did you eventually get for yours? I've been trying several of my older, (low end) carts with mine, but I really need to spring for a better MM one..

TRENDING THREADS