rega p1 or project genie

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a starting point for vinyl what would be the best option? The genie or rp1? I would like to add a better cartridge to either, how much should i spend? I wouldnt mind getting a valve based phono stage, what good ones are there for about 200 pounds? I know it's alot of cash but i will upgrade the deck at a later date whitch will warrent the purchase. Cheer's..

T

the record spot

No good valve phono stages for £200 unless you get lucky secondhand.

Are you looking to get one to upgrade on your current amp, or does it not have a phono stage? What's the budget? P1 is about £190, but for a little more you get the P2. The Genie is good, but likely not quite up there with the P2, good though it apparently is.

Cambridge Audio 640P (£60) is supposed to be a steal for the outlay, get this, the P2, or the Goldring GR2 if you can find one (roughly £200-£220) whichever you prefer and you'll have a good set-up to last a while before a better upgrade later.

A

Anonymous

Rega make very good turntables and great tonearms - had a P3 with the RB 300, and the sound was very good indeed.

More to the point, just bought a Debut III with cartridge and phono stage at the local sales, so will give it a spin on the weekend and report back. My initial feeling is that the cartridge is the weak link, but luckily I have a decent Grado on hand. Asked about the Project on this forum and got a very positive response, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

But bear in mind I bought the Debut because it was cheap (100?) and I don't have many LPs. If you are serious about getting into vinyl, then don't muck about and go for the P2 or better. There's far more variation in sound quality from turntables than any other component, and sadly it does tend to be related to price. A cheap turntable sounds just that, and a better cartridge (you'll end up going down that route, believe me) only highlights the deficiencies.

John Duncan

The genie looks cute, but I suspect the P1 is better made, though both will sound pretty good - you pays yer money.....

And don't mess around with 200 quid phonos stages, get the Cambridge 640p for 60 quid and watch it last you until you get a gyro with an MC cartridge.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, much to consider, Any of the players mentioned would be good, ill buy one and post a thread to let ya all know... ye ha.

T

the record spot

Check Stereophile for a review of the P1 online. Very detailed and very positive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts