Rega Or Pro-ject

a505

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am currently having a dilemma on which one to buy, rega rp1 or the Pro-ject Essential II

With the Pro-ject at £20 cheaper.

Will it be better off to get the Pro-ject and spend the £20 on some upgrade ?

Or will it be better off with the Rega Rp1 ?

I am currently using Fiio X5 with the Sennheiser HD 598, with my computer setup. Do a need an amp or an pre-amp with both of these turntables? Thank you very much.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I won't comment on the two turntables as there's little to separate them in my opinion.

In terms of what you need to listen to either through you headphones, you need a phono stage and a headphone amp. There are boxes that do both (ADL GT40 for example) but not many that I'm aware of. One option is to buy a phono stage like a Project Phono Box MM and a headphone amp like a Head Box from the same firm. Another is to buy a turntable with a built in phono stage ( like the Project Essential II USB) and a headphone amp. Or finally to buy a normal amp with a phono stage (note not all have built in phono stages) and use the headphone socket on it. This might be the best option because you can add speakers later if you want which you can't with a pure headphone amp.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
but with your current set up the options Mr Sawyer has suggested are certainly one way to go, sound advice there. The only problem is, something like the ADL GT40 goes for around £400 when I last looked. With that kind of outlay for a little more you could go for actives and a turntable with built in phono preamp.

I think this forum is generally pro Rega but I'm unaware they do any stand alone options to fit your needs.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I had to cut the response a little short this morning. What I would have gone on to say is that my recommendation would be an integrated amp. These start at relatively little, and provided it has a phono stage, will provide you with a way to link your turntable to your headphones for the least outlay. Then you can add a set of passive speakers later if you want.

A Denon PM520 or 720E would set you back around £135/£150 for example.

You might want to think about something that you would also integrate with your digital music. Something like a Yamaha RN301/500 for £220/£280 would handle your turntable but also stream your digital music over a network if you wanted to go that way. Again, could be used with headphones initially and upgraded to speakers later if desired.

The options are almost endless so for more targeted advice, as luckylion100 says, some info on budget and any other constraints would be helpful.

a505

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
thanks for the reply everyone,

I think the first option is very good, as I am looking to add on some bookself afterwards. As I am currently using Bose Companion 3, which is not very good... Do you guys have any suggestions with an intergrated amp along with a DAC that I can use with my computer, around the £100 mark.

The second idea is great, but as I am currently still in Uni, and most of the time I am only playing music in my room, so i may not need it atm. I have also heard you can use a Raspberry Pi as a cheap setup to stream music.

But for the turntable, looks like there isn't much to seperate them, Will the rega or the pro-ject be better when it comes to upgrading it ? Thanks !

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Both those turntables are so close its hard to say which is better, and quite honestly, dont try, it may be simply what looks nicest in your living room as the deciding factor.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
As BigH says, look at the Edwards turntables, they are in many peoples opinion the best generic copy of a Rega deck and in some instances better than the Rega equivelent. Hi Hi choice and What Hi Fi both gave the Edwards TT1 best buy.

Check out DECO Audio for their take on the Edwards decks, I'm tempted myself to change my 1980 Planar 3 for a new Edwards TT2. Interestingly, Edwards and DECO Audio favour the RB250 arm over the later RB350.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Whichever turntable you choose....just make sure the Cartridge is the first thing you change asap as these budget decks can sound a whole lot better with a decent cart.....think nagaoka,audiotechnica and ortofon carts in the £100-£200 mark.

I agree but would add Denon 103 and 110 to the list, they are about £170, the 103 will need a MC phono stage.

a505

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Just managed to get myself a rega, and got a Behringer PP400 Phono for the time being.

On the preamp, there is a 1/4 inch TRS output, could I connect it stright to my Bose Speakers? And will there be anyway I could connect it to my Headphones? As there is no volume control for these.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
If your speakers are the Companion 3 with two sattelites and a sub, there should be an aux-in and a headphone jack on the control pod. Buy an RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack cable and wire from the output RCA plugs on the Behringer to the aux-in on the control pod. When you want to use your headphones, just plug them into the control pod and use the Bose volume control.

You may be able to use the jack on the Behringer marked as Output instead of the RCA sockets (obviously buying the appropriate cable) but I've got no experience of a jack output on a phono stage so I can't advise.

a505

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, just got my first turntable and it is the rega rp1.

After listening to a while, i notice there are quite some nosie, those hissing sound at the background.

When i put the record on, it is not flat, so the tone arm is boucing up and down. Will this effect the sound quality ?

And somtimes I see people put some weight on the spindle. Will that improve the boucing situation ?

The slipmat, looks very thin, not sure if getting a thicker one will help.

And are there any things I should get to improve the overall sound quality of it ?

Thanks

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
It's hard to say what's causing the hiss without being able to see or hear your setup but assuming your speakers don't hiss with any other source and your turntable is new with a factory fitted cartridge, I'd guess your phono stage is a relatively cheap item - only a guess though!

As for the warp in your record, as long as it's not extreme, it should be fine. Most records have some level of wobble. A clamp/weight/puck can help but in my experience usually improves one side but not the other.

a505

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
thanks, I guess it's the pre-amp. Will probs get a better one later on.

I will probs give a pass on the vinyl weight thing as well.

Is there anything relatively cheap to upgrade and will make some impact to the overall sound?

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Really hard to say but if your hiss is coming from the phono stage (and I can't say it definitely is) upgrading that to a £50 Project phono box would have been a good move.

Just as an aside, you have connected the ground wire from the turntable to the phono stage?

TomSawyer said:
Really hard to say but if your hiss is coming from the phono stage (and I can't say it definitely is) upgrading that to a £50 Project phono box would have been a good move.

Just as an aside, you have connected the ground wire from the turntable to the phono stage?

As far as I recall the RP1 doesn't have a separate earth wire.

BigH said:
No earth wire on Rega RP1. If it was an earthing problem it would hum. Sounds like it could be surface noise. Is only when needle is on the record?

Badly warped will not help with the sound quality. You could replace the mat, cork ones are vabout £20, some say they improve the sound. Here is one: http://www.analogueseduction.net/user/products/large/HFC394_mini_Analogue_reprint2_Low_res.pdf

They are not going to improve warped records. I don't think this is the OP's problem.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
a505 said:
After listening to a while, i notice there are quite some nosie, those hissing sound at the background.

Is the hiss present only when the needle is on a disc surface, or is it present and constant even when you're not playing anything? If the former, you've probably just got some dirty records on your hands; if the latter, then something is not quite right. Earthing would be more of a hum than a hiss; not sure what might cause a hiss. Possibly the phono stage not wired up correctly or just not very good.

a505 said:
When i put the record on, it is not flat, so the tone arm is boucing up and down. Will this effect the sound quality ?

Yup, warping will affect play, but turntables should be able to copy with moderate bouncing up and down.

It might be worth checking the cartridge alignment and tone-arm balance/tracking force again to make sure they are all set correctly. You should have received an alignment tool (piece of card with protractor angles and so forth printed on it) and some instructions about setting the balance and tracking force.

Just a few guesses there; hope some of it is useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts