Rega Elicit mk5 4ohm: overheating is real 😟

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Ah so you've tried the Rega and Audiolab as pre-amps instead of trhe damaged Adcom one?

It does look like you've had a lot of fun! What is the 1,000 watt transformer? An external power supply?

Glad you're enjoying it all!
Yeah, didn’t try the Adcom preamp due to the volume control being stuck.

The transformer is for the Adcom units as they’re USA voltage. It has to be 1000w as the power amp runs at 700w or so. Big vintage guitar amps only operate at 400w.

Here’s where I’ve ended up. Amp back in a sensible place which is helpful because no remote is really annoying. Modern amps definitely got that right. And, yes I’m right back to square one where I probably need a proper hifi rack 😂

IMG-4926.jpg

Reactions: SohoAudiophile

SohoAudiophile

Jun 5, 2024
Visit site
Yeah, didn’t try the Adcom preamp due to the volume control being stuck.

The transformer is for the Adcom units as they’re USA voltage. It has to be 1000w as the power amp runs at 700w or so. Big vintage guitar amps only operate at 400w.

Here’s where I’ve ended up. Amp back in a sensible place which is helpful because no remote is really annoying. Modern amps definitely got that right. And, yes I’m right back to square one where I probably need a proper hifi rack 😂

IMG-4926.jpg
It looks great. I bet it sounds fantastic

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
The current game is: ‘can I get the same quality sound, with no overheating, for as cheap as possible?’

Appreciate your suggestions, although both of those offer loads of features I’ll never use. Anything over £1k is probably out as I decided against doing a like-for-like swap, instead save my money for the long-term plan: my final amp. That’s likely to cost upwards of £4k, so I’m in no rush to visit that right now.

As per the previous page, I spent £180 on the Audiolab. That is rated to 2ohms.

I also spent £180 on a power amp, which should be arriving Monday. For reasons unknown (because old equipment looks cool), I was also persuaded to buy the matching integrated amp.

I’ll sell whichever of the 2 old integrated amps I like the least, so let’s call my total investment: £400

Open to any interesting ideas. I’m even toying with the idea of picking up an old valve preamp that’s going for a great price. Although that really is an extravagance beyond sensibility- it’s likely to give me the valve experience. But I really don’t need to be buying more niche hifi products that will be difficult to sell when I live in a one bedroom flat, and already discovered that the audiolab does a fine job at a fraction of the cost of the Rega.
Ever thought of trying a pioneer A-400 ?

Good examples can be found for around 250 £ when they come up.

Mines never faultered and lays waste to most of the other more expensive amps I've had.

I repaired it's power light whilst there checked for drift and the DC offset to find nothing has changed in 33yrs of sporadic to heavy use.

I often mention it as I sometimes sit in awe at it's performance whilst cycling from a modern hifi to my somewhat vintage setup.

It took ages to sonically improve upon it with modern kit even having to quadruple it's original price into the budget.

Maybe it's too old to consider but quality lasts and remains quality.

I fully expect my modern steaming amp setup to fault first.

Reactions: Gray
According to t’internet it’s a Nelson Pass design that runs class A up to 10 watts. Although Adcom is an American brand, this range was built in China.
Well, as you might guess from my signature, I’m a fan of anything Nelson Pass designs, so I’m sure the Adcom is great. And if it indeed it offers class A up to ten watts then yes it’ll be warm, and it will not idle cheaply like a class D amp will.

Mine is the baby Pass Labs power amp and sucks about 250 watts once powered up, even playing nothing. But it’s a price worth paying for the luxurious sound. All IMO, obviously.

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Blogcase-study-Image-19-768x448.png

Ok, so what good is playing around if you’re not playing around?

My research led me to AVI. Apparently a brand much loved but little known. First I’d heard of them - an interesting story.

AVI units appear pretty cheap on the used market, and with all the positive reviews it seemed worth the risk to get this AVI S2000 preamp.

It’s not pretty. And the buttons are definitely of their time. I knew it was 2/3 size of a standard component, but still couldn’t help being a little disappointed when I pulled out what looked like a large car stereo from the box, and it doesn’t weigh much more either.

Excited for a chance to use my a/b switchers: WiiM to the preamps, then preamps to power amp 😃😃😃

Instantly the AVI has much punch & a little more definition than the Audiolab. Really like it, quite a surprising little thing even though I went in with high hopes. Wasn’t expecting it to better the Audiolab, but it has definitely edged it. Shame I don’t have the Rega still to compare against that.

Long story short: AVI S2000 is a keeper! With the Adcom power amp I’ve spent £390 & it’s pretty much on a par with the Elicit Mk5. Old hifi is awesome 🙌

IMG-5060.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: manicm and Messiah

Messiah

My research led me to AVI. Apparently a brand much loved but little known. First I’d heard of them - an interesting story.
If you frequented hifi forums 10-15 years ago you would not have been able to escape 'friendly debates' about AVI, their ADM 9.1 speakers (which I used happily for many years) and one of the founders Ashley James.

A decent company but sadly no longer around.

(I know until recent years, Acoustic Energy were still using AVI gear to demo their speakers).

I know until recent years, Acoustic Energy were still using AVI gear to demo their speakers).
That figures, as they were/are all in the Cotswolds around Cirencester/Stroud near where we used to live.

ATC have been on the edge of the airfield near Stroud for a while. AE were in a new unit in Cirencester on one of the bypass roundabouts, then moved since Covid more rurally. AVI was nearby but can’t recall where exactly.

Reactions: Revolutions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts