Rega Elicit mk5 4ohm: overheating is real 😟

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
It’s the first warm weekend running my amp with 4ohm speakers. Started getting c. 2 hours playtime before the amp shuts itself off.

The amp has a new temporary home underneath my entirely unsuitable unit. It feels cooler down there & there’s more breathing space on all sides. I’ll see how well it fares this evening & the coming days. Hoping that will solve the problem, and then a proper hifi stand will have to be procured.

If the amp continues to struggle as summer rolls in, I’ll have to consider options. Will a higher powered A/B amp have the same problem at similar listening levels?

If that’s the case, I guess class D might be the end destination. Not the worst time to be in that situation if it happens, though.

Here’s my new layout. Suddenly buying a silver CDP because it was cheap feels like a short-sighted plan. Might listen to more cd’s though 😊

IMG-4632.jpg

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, which speakers are you using, how big is your room? You may consider to put Rega turntable on Rega wall shelf, which is excellent solution, used by me for many years. Than you will have space for Elicit on top of your shelf. Your table/furniture is not so bad. Is quite nice with big space for records. On the top shelf the amp will have better place "for survival". Elicit is a beast. It has a lot of of power and control. I used and tested many Rega amps in last 25 years. Even Brio with right speakers may shake the room. Also Brio is warming but I never faced termal switch of my amp and my room is 35m² big. Was your Elicit brand new?

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Hi, which speakers are you using, how big is your room? You may consider to put Rega turntable on Rega wall shelf, which is excellent solution, used by me for many years. Than you will have space for Elicit on top of your shelf. Your table/furniture is not so bad. Is quite nice with big space for records. On the top shelf the amp will have better place "for survival". Elicit is a beast. It has a lot of of power and control. I used and tested many Rega amps in last 25 years. Even Brio with right speakers may shake the room. Also Brio is warming but I never faced termal switch of my amp and my room is 35m² big. Was your Elicit brand new?
Thanks for the info/thoughts.

My room is just over 41m squared. Speakers are Elac Vela FS408.

I live in a rented property with plasterboard walls- not sure about putting a heavy bracket on there, and tbh I don’t really like the look of them.

I bought the elicit just over a year ago 2nd hand. Last summer it was ok running 8ohm floorstanders, lasting 4-5 hours before shutting down even on the hottest days.

SohoAudiophile

Jun 5, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the info/thoughts.

My room is just over 41m squared. Speakers are Elac Vela FS408.

I live in a rented property with plasterboard walls- not sure about putting a heavy bracket on there, and tbh I don’t really like the look of them.

I bought the elicit just over a year ago 2nd hand. Last summer it was ok running 8ohm floorstanders, lasting 4-5 hours before shutting down even on the hottest days.

You would think that if the amp was going to overheat just due to too much load it would do so pretty soon - as soon as it's up to temperature - not after hours. Have you asked Rega if there is a known issue with a bad capacitor or whatever?

Gray

.... lasting 4-5 hours before shutting down even on the hottest days.
Big deal Rev! 4-5 hours??
You really shouldn't expect any thermal shutdown at all.
Seriously, I've owned and used plenty of amps (including on mobile discos and nightclubs often in high temperatures) over decades, never had one shut down due to overheating.

(If the amp does thermally shut down in its current position, there really is something wrong).

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
You would think that if the amp was going to overheat just due to too much load it would do so pretty soon - as soon as it's up to temperature - not after hours. Have you asked Rega if there is a known issue with a bad capacitor or whatever?
As far as I know, the amp runs hot. All Rega class A amps have an auto-shutoff so I presumed it was normal on a hot day 🤷‍♂️

I’m pushing the amp maybe 1/3 more with the new speakers so figured it’s maybe hitting critical temp sooner.

Gonna do some serious listening today, so will see how it does with the extra space.

Blimey Rev, that's terrible. I've never had an amp shutdown due to heat. I've had one go into protection due to me pushing it too hard but never due to heat.
Big deal Rev! 4-5 hours??
You really shouldn't expect any thermal shutdown at all.
Seriously, I've owned and used plenty of amps (including on mobile discos and nightclubs often in high temperatures) over decades, never had one shut down due to overheating.

(If the amp does thermally shut down in its current position, there really is something wrong).
Thanks both - fingers crossed this sorts it.

If that sorts it I’ll look to get a 2nd hand hifi rack & try to figure out where I can fit another Kallax unit for the records

Edit: just realised I should probably get it serviced. Will book it in & that will probably solve the problem. My flat is some kind of super dust generator- never seen so much dust appear within a week. That can’t be good for the electrics.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Blimey Rev, that's terrible. I've never had an amp shutdown due to heat. I've had one go into protection due to me pushing it too hard but never due to heat.
Yeah that sucks "revaloutions"

Me too, I've had a few over the yrs with married up with all kinds of speakers at with various specs and as you know I drive them all hard and never had a thermal shut down yet.

If it was a thing I think my amps would be off more than on.
The QA's I have now averages 6 and dip to 4ohms and they only go on loud and sometimes for a considerable time without issue.

I'd suggest an internal fan which are easy to fit but the situation sounds rather rediculas and as a fault to me.

Quick look at the specs and it's not left wanting in the power department so shouldn't get hot and bothered even at loud volumes.

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Well, gonna do a scientific test @Stuart83 🙂

I’ve got the morning off, it’s humid & I’ve got my furry assistant to help me assess a load of music at a decent volume. Let’s see how it goes.

@abacus one of the selling points of the Rega is how muscular it is. These Elacs have 88db sensitivity, so not hard to drive.

IMG-4642.jpg

Reactions: DougK1
As far as I know, the amp runs hot. All Rega class A amps have an auto-shutoff so I presumed it was normal on a hot day 🤷‍♂️

I’m pushing the amp maybe 1/3 more with the new speakers so figured it’s maybe hitting critical temp sooner.

Gonna do some serious listening today, so will see how it does with the extra space.
Rega don’t make Class A amps, unless I’ve missed something. Yes, as a typical class AB with domestic rather than pro design it’ll get warm. But no way should it shut off unless it’s faulty, or you’re playing at discotheque levels.

Your room is sizeable, at over 5 metres by 8 metres, but your speakers are reasonably sensitive.

I agree with the idea of getting Rega to check it out. I’d hate it to go wrong and damage your speakers.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
The results are in: 4 hours & 20 mins until the amp switched itself to safe mode. The last hour volume has been at 25% on the dial playing through the WiiM.

Off to the repairshop it’ll pop.

It’ll be mighty tempting to drop the amp off at Audio Lounge then pop round the corner to KJ West & demo some Harbeth SHL5’s with Pass Labs Int-25 🙃

p.s. Sorry @nopiano yes it’s A/B.

Reactions: nopiano

manicm

The spec of your speaker states nominal/minimum 4Ω | 3.4Ω at 180 Hz. This is for 'version 2'.

My guess is that at loud volumes that speaker is hitting the minimum 3.4 ohms more often than not.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Rega - maybe you'll get more mileage situating it on top with no airflow restriction.

Rega themselves state running their 8ohm rated amps at constant 4ohms will cause heat and cutouts could happen to preserve the circuit.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, yes your amp needs repair. Just remark, I think Harbeth SHL5 is a bit small for your big room. Pass Int-25 is excellent machine. Also Sugden A classs amps work wery good with Harbeth speakers. Or some good Fyne Audio. This will be my choice in your big room. BR

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
The spec of your speaker states nominal/minimum 4Ω | 3.4Ω at 180 Hz. This is for 'version 2'.

My guess is that at loud volumes that speaker is hitting the minimum 3.4 ohms more often than not.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Rega - maybe you'll get more mileage situating it on top with no airflow restriction.

Rega themselves state running their 8ohm rated amps at constant 4ohms will cause heat and cutouts could happen to preserve the circuit.
I’ve got the V1, which is minim 3.6ohm. Will speak to the shop & see what they say. Be a shame if the amp is ok & can’t keep up with these speakers.

If you do a google search (I think there has even been a post on WHF), I think there have been some amplifier problems when using a WiiM, can you try it with something else to see if the problem still occurs.

Bill
First 3 hours were vinyl- that’s what 90% of my listening is & what has been playing when the amp has shut down previously.

@Integralista - appreciate your thoughts on those options. Hopefully this doesn’t lead to an upgrade spiral 🤦‍♂️

manicm

I’ve got the V1, which is minim 3.6ohm. Will speak to the shop & see what they say. Be a shame if the amp is ok & can’t keep up with these speakers.

First 3 hours were vinyl- that’s what 90% of my listening is & what has been playing when the amp has shut down previously.

@Integralista - appreciate your thoughts on those options. Hopefully this doesn’t lead to an upgrade spiral 🤦‍♂️

Still have the Rega checked out though.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Just had a look at your photos. Your room might measure 41m2 but your actual listening area looks about 2x3m. You sure you need floorstanders?:)
No, I don’t 😂 It’s a hangover from the stereo being in a big kitchen at the house I own with my ex. These 408s are far too physically big for my space as well. And as much as I can dream, I’m not going to be moving within the next 18 months.

The 3” Adam monitors I have at my desk sound massive. A great reminder that I don’t need floorstanders. A great reason to check out the Harbeths after all…? 😇

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Just had a look at your photos. Your room might measure 41m2 but your actual listening area looks about 2x3m. You sure you need floorstanders?:)
There's never too much speaker 😁

I built my room around my hifi but my fiancée is trying to change that with ever more "things" turning up.

I borrowed a pair of Elacs to try at home to assess, which I initially had on a Class D amplifier - underwhelming. The speakers were not impressing, and I was struggling to justify their worth over anything else available at half the price. Changed the amp for a Hegel, boom! Honestly, the difference was ridiculous. H190 will drive them all day long, and will be stable even lower than 4ohms, and won't be cutting out. Might get away with a H120, which had less power than an Elicit, but it'll be stable at 4ohms.

It baffles me why retailers aren't doing their job properly - surely they ask about the rest of the system before randomly supplying any given speaker to a customer? What happened to the good old days? Probably scared of losing a sale if they inform of any potential unsuitability.
Although, that can sometimes extend to end users not doing enough research before grabbing used/ex-demo bargains. A bargain doesn't always turn out to be the bargain it appears to be.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
It baffles me why retailers aren't doing their job properly - surely they ask about the rest of the system before randomly supplying any given speaker to a customer? What happened to the good old days? Probably scared of losing a sale if they inform of any potential unsuitability.
Although, that can sometimes extend to end users not doing enough research before grabbing used/ex-demo bargains. A bargain doesn't always turn out to be the bargain it appears to be.
Is there anything in the spec of the Elicit mk5 would tell you it wouldn’t drive my speakers? The shop is a Rega dealer & recommended Elac (amongst other speakers).

Last edited:

manicm

Is there anything in the spec of the Elicit mk5 would tell you it wouldn’t drive my speakers? The shop is a Rega dealer & recommended Elac (amongst other speakers).

Going to the Elicit mk5 website, Rega seem to deem it most suitable for 6-8ohm rated speakers. Digging deeper they provide a 4ohm rating, but it seems to me 6-8ohm rated speakers are its ideal.

TRENDING THREADS