Rega apollo

tiggerjoint

Aug 16, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone 👋 I have had the Apollo cd player for about 5 years now, it went back to Rega for skipping on tracks and not reading. That lasted about a year and now it's skipping again, so I replaced the laser and Flexi cables ,but the player still glitches! Can anyone give a a solution how to fix this or is the player just old and should be replaced! Thanks you in advance any advice is more than welcome 👍

Gray

I'd be very reluctant to spend money on a CDP that couldn't last more than 5 years trouble free.
Especially with the possibility of any repair only lasting another year.

If I needed to buy a CDP now, I would have to do what @nopiano did and get a Tascam CD-200.
You get a decent TEAC transport in that and, if necessary, you could use a DAC of your choice from either its coax or optical digital outputs (you don't have to pay much for a very good DAC).

tiggerjoint

Aug 16, 2024
Visit site
Send it back to Rega again depending on how much they charge.
If it's the original Apollo it could be 17 years old so perhaps due for replacement?
Thank you for the reply the player is 7 year old, my local rega dealer closed so would have to take an hefty trip to Manchester, and even than I fear it wouldn't last!

tiggerjoint

Aug 16, 2024
Visit site
I'd be very reluctant to spend money on a CDP that couldn't last more than 5 years trouble free.
Especially with the possibility of any repair only lasting another year.

If I needed to buy a CDP now, I would have to do what @nopiano did and get a Tascam CD-200.
You get a decent TEAC transport in that and, if necessary, you could use a DAC of your choice from either its coax or optical digital outputs (you don't have to pay much for a very good DAC).
Thank you for replying I am considering buying a new player I'm using an old marantz one instead of the Rega at mo, and was thinking of going for the 6007, I was putting feelers out in case someone knew a trick to fix the Rega! Cheers 👍

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I was putting feelers out in case someone knew a trick to fix the Rega! Cheers 👍
I'd say, what with Rega's repair and your subsequent replacement of the laser, you've covered some tricks yourself 👍

If you've got the money for a 6007, then why not?
But if your old Marantz is mechanically OK.....
I've used (good) sub £100 DACs on a couple of decades-old players.
I wouldn't bet against your old Marantz at least matching a 6007 in sound quality, by using the same trick 👍

Reactions: tiggerjoint

tiggerjoint

Aug 16, 2024
Visit site
I'd say, what with Rega's repair and your subsequent replacement of the laser, you've covered some tricks yourself 👍

I wouldn't bet against your old Marantz at least matching a 6007 in sound quality, by using the same trick 👍
Interesting thank you 👍

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Not sure if it's because it's a popular brand amongst the hifi crowd but Rega appear to be producing a fair amount of kit which doesn't seem to be up the job, i.e., longevity and abilities. Seem to be hearing a lot of poor reports regarding their turntables, amps, and CDPs of late :unsure:

tiggerjoint

Aug 16, 2024
Visit site
Not sure if it's because it's a popular brand amongst the hifi crowd but Rega appear to be producing a fair amount of kit which doesn't seem to be up the job, i.e., longevity and abilities. Seem to be hearing a lot of poor reports regarding their turntables, amps, and CDPs of late :unsure:
Could be , the Apollo is built like a brick but yet it is so temperamental! Cheers 👍

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site

Good point 👍 turning an old/new bad sounding compatible CDP (with a digital out) into a transport can definitely be a way of getting an instant improvement with the simple edition of a decent DAC.

I went for the 6007 as a replacement and to upgrade originally after a fault on another player but to me it didn't sonically improve on a 33 yr old (until then) trouble free Marantz cd52 mk2 using it's own internal DAC (with CD)

Unfortunately however at the 33yr mark it encountered the common issue of the tray edject cog needing a replacement after it disintegrated.
After replacing and quicky testing it was still obviously apparent it was as good as it's replacement making it redundant so the 6007 went back after it's demo period.

However it had already started me on the upgrade path to better the old Marantz regardless of repair and needing another player for the main hifi🤷

After many a demo of all kinds it came indeed in another Marantz having this time gone up the food chain a little to the CD 60 which gave me the original sonic upgrade I was looking for.
It's been a joy since purchase with the quality of its predecessor only adding to my confidence in its longevity.
(Touch wood 🪵 I ho pe I haven't jinx ed it and end up back here asking too for help with a fault)

I still use the old Marantz cd52 mk2 regularly coincidentally I'm listening to it now in a second hifi which has never missed a beat since it's small repair testament to Marantz's quality.

Last edited:
Yes, good shout, thanks @Gray It hasn’t missed a beat so far and gives the feeling it’ll probably go on for a good few years! The rack handles are easily removed, and that’s what I subsequently did.

View: https://imgur.com/OxceF37

Gray

Reactions: DougK1 and nopiano

tiggerjoint

Aug 16, 2024
Visit site
I went for the 6007 originally but it didn't sonically improve on a 33 yr old trouble free Marantz cd52 mk2.

Unfortunately at the 33yr mark it needed the tray edject cog replacing which turned brittle which after replacing made apparent it was as good as it's replacement so the 6007 went back.

However it started me on the upgrade path to indeed better
33 years plus for a cd player is incredible! The cd player I'm using instead of the Rega is the marantz 6004 so don't know if I would get much improvement if I bought the 6007! Cheers 👍

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Good point "grey" 👍 turning an old/new bad sounding compatible CDP (with a digital out) into a transport can definitely be a way of getting an instant improvement with the simple edition of a decent DAC.

I went for the 6007 as a replacement and to upgrade originally after a fault on another player but to me it didn't sonically improve on a 33 yr old (until then) trouble free Marantz cd52 mk2 using it's own internal DAC (with CD)

Unfortunately however at the 33yr mark it encountered the common issue of the tray edject cog needing a replacement after it disintegrated.
After replacing and quicky testing it was still obviously apparent it was as good as it's replacement making it redundant so the 6007 went back after it's demo period.

However it had already started me on the upgrade path to better the old Marantz regardless of repair and needing another player for the main hifi🤷

After many a demo of all kinds it came indeed in another Marantz having this time gone up the food chain a little to the CD 60 which gave me the original sonic upgrade I was looking for.
It's been a joy since purchase with the quality of its predecessor only adding to my confidence in its longevity.
(Touch wood 🪵 I ho pe I haven't jinx ed it and end up back here asking too for help with a fault)

I still use the old Marantz cd52 mk2 regularly coincidentally I'm listening to it now in a second hifi which has never missed a beat since it's small repair testament to Marantz's quality.

Ps not sure why the message was sent twice

Attachments

• 1000006978.jpg
    1000006978.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 2

Gray

Rega have had numerous issues with their amps, turntables, CDPs, makes you wonder why when such an established company have issues with their quality control.
That was my job, for the brief time that I worked there - in the amp dept, not long after they started making amps.....so the OPs CDP is "nothing to do with me guv".

TRENDING THREADS