Rega Apollo - What am I missing out on?

A

Anonymous

get yourself a v-dac and dont bother about the apollo though its an excellent player if you cant demo

the v-dac is not a million miles away in presentation though a bit less exciting

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
The Rega players are fantastic with making CD's sound less like CD's and much more like vinyl. They seem to inject warmth, feeling and emotion. Vocals are a particular strong point, with an almost live feel. Timing is excellent, fantastic detail and staging, all recordings sound great on them, but good recordings sound phenominal.

True Blue:The Rega players are fantastic with making CD's sound less like CD's and much more like vinyl. They seem to inject warmth, feeling and emotion. Vocals are a particular strong point, with an almost live feel. Timing is excellent, fantastic detail and staging, all recordings sound great on them, but good recordings sound phenominal.

Thanks for that - maybe once we've moved I might be able to test one of the Regas.....

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Of course i need to chime in here, as im currently selling my Apollo on Eb*y. Imho i would say its a fantastic player but needs an amp with a little warmth and musicality to bring out its best. Its not for me and i have tried to love it !
emotion-1.gif
the timing is indeed amazing and with high levels of detail on playback too. Id have to kindly disagree with the Apollo having feeling and emotion though, i find it a tad "un-human" and too matter of fact for my personal tastes. It would hard to beat in the "right" system though, just not in mine !

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I only demoed the Apollo agianst the Naim CD5i, and IMO it was superior. However I did end up buying the Saturn (especially at the new price, similar to the CD 5i) that is what I am commenting on as I am listening to it sorry for any confusion.

sthomas048:Of course i need to chime in here, as im currently selling my Apollo on Eb*y. Imho i would say its a fantastic player but needs an amp with a little warmth and musicality to bring out its best. Its not for me and i have tried to love it !
emotion-1.gif
the timing is indeed amazing and with high levels of detail on playback too. Id have to kindly disagree with the Apollo having feeling and emotion though, i find it a tad "un-human" and too matter of fact for my personal tastes. It would hard to beat in the "right" system though, just not in mine !

Interesting. I know when I heard Exposure 2010S (I was the first to mention on your thread) the 2010 was a very ballsy sounding player.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard Apollo's with Nait 5i and Nait XS amplifiers using Rega RS1 and RS3 speakers and (extensively) with a Primare i30 and Focal floorstanders. To my mind - at their original price - they are only bettered by a CD5i. (Close call though.)

Detailed, spacious, musical and (as True Blue says) voiced very much like a really good turntable - no suprise there.

For the new price of £475 I would say it is an extremely safe choice.

Sorry 'sthomas048' your description of the Apollo is not one I recognise at all from my long and frequent experience of it. But I gather from your other threads that you like your gear to sound very, very warm indeed.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Chebby, we all have different viewpoints and different ears ! Neither of us are wrong, just different. Lets be friends !
emotion-1.gif
There are a multitude of different factors that can contribute to a system's sound - cabling, location, musical tastes etc;

sthomas048:Chebby, we all have different viewpoints and different ears ! Neither of us are wrong, just different. Lets be friends !
emotion-1.gif

It also comes down to amplification and speakers. That surely is ultimately why there is a difference of opinion....or am I being too obvious here?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

It also comes down to amplification and speakers. That surely is ultimately why there is a difference of opinion....or am I being too obvious here?

Very true PP. The source is only as good as its connected speakers and amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS