Rediscovering the CD player

• Thread starter Deleted member 116933
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 116933

I recently just got my CD player out of moth balls a NAD c541. And I must say going through the Suggie and the klipsch heresy’s the attack and drive is stunning. Forgot how good it sounded. Would love to hear it going through the chord qutest but need to get myself a bnc converter.

I truly forgot how good this player was/is and how much it punches above it’s weight.

Do you have any hifi gems hidden away?

D

Deleted member 108165

I can't see the point of hiding gems away as they deserve a place in the system. Any previous gems are just passed onto my family as my search is for that elusive gem at the end of my auditory rainbow... think my current system has near as damn nailed it for me personally.

Oxfordian

Last month I dragged my ancient hifi kit out of the loft where it had endured 20+ years of storage, like you I am enjoying getting reacquainted with it, my bits of hifi history are a Rega Planar 3 which didn’t survive the experience very well and could well be replaced. However my Marantz CD50SE, Arcam Alpha 8 amp and KEF Q35 speakers are fine and producing a nice sound.

D

Deleted member 116933

I can't see the point of hiding gems away as they deserve a place in the system. Any previous gems are just passed onto my family as my search is for that elusive gem at the end of my auditory rainbow... think my current system has near as damn nailed it for me personally.

Oh I’m happy with the way other bits sound, we moved and I acquired the other bits to replace surround system no longer wanted the fuss of. just never got around to getting my lazy butt In to the loft to get it down.

Though she require some tlc, the draw is very slow to eject so I’m guessing the grease has dried up abit.

And like you all my gems are passed around friends and family. Mother has my old marantz and mission 700s a friend has my old c320. Working on trying to get that back wish I never sold it.

If I have to level criticism at the CD player it’s a little unrefined but I think that’s the appeal of it. Leans in to that edge of seat listen even more.

D

Deleted member 116933

Last month I dragged my ancient hifi kit out of the loft where it had endured 20+ years of storage, like you I am enjoying getting reacquainted with it, my bits of hifi history are a Rega Planar 3 which didn’t survive the experience very well and could well be replaced. However my Marantz CD50SE, Arcam Alpha 8 amp and KEF Q35 speakers are fine and producing a nice sound.

It was your experiences that got me moving to get it back into the system.

Even the wife commented on how good it sounded. Just can believe I bought it some 20 years ago. With money I saved long and hard for from a weekend job working at Debenhams.

Edit on side note I remember trying out the q35s the mission 703s won out for me I. The end, I have very shouty tastes in products

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

It was your experiences that got me moving to get it back into the system.

Even the wife commented on how good it sounded. Just can believe I bought it some 20 years ago. With money I saved long and hard for from a weekend job working at Debenhams.

Edit on side note I remember trying out the q35s the mission 703s won out for me I. The end, I have very shouty tastes in products

Glad I helped in some way, I am in the process of trying to move house as we finally managed to encourage the kids to move out courtesy of the bank of mum and dad. Part of the process was emptying the loft, I knew the gear was there but what state...... well that was a pleasant surprise.

I will probably upgrade my kit for no other reason than I want to, I’ll probably keep everything I have and just enjoy playing around with it.

Delighted that you are enjoying the kit again and with CD’s being so damn cheap well worth keeping it going. Have fun.

D

Deleted member 116933

Enjoy.
As a side note, don't bother plugging it into the chord, it will sound the same as everything else that comes out of the chord, that's not a bad thing, it just won't sound same as it does now

very true

I keep having to remind myself that I have a CD Player. The disc spinning part of the machine barely gets any use. I tend to use the front USB mostly, that’s down to convenience and sheer laziness on my behalf.
I’ve purposely used it a lot over the last few days, it’s probably not done 30 hours since I bought it 😂

D

Deleted member 108165

I keep having to remind myself that I have a CD Player. The disc spinning part of the machine barely gets any use. I tend to use the front USB mostly, that’s down to convenience and sheer laziness on my behalf.
I’ve purposely used it a lot over the last few days, it’s probably not done 30 hours since I bought it 😂
Ditto. I only tend to use it for SACD or to give a first listen to any newly purchased CDs to see if they are worth ripping or not. Got a PC connected to my CDP for ripped playback duties, unfortunately my USB port is on the rear so not easy to get at, got around this by connecting an extension cable :)

Reactions: Al ears

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I haven't used cd's in years but it's worth remembering that many of us have started the journey because of it.

Easy storage, no faffing around with cleaning, often very good sound compared to alternatives at the beginning and relatively cheap to buy.

It even replaced tapes for recording purposes and in car tape decks for which it should receive its own reward.

I take nothing away from CD but find streaming has completely replaced it for me.

D

Deleted member 116933

Been listening for a few days now and player draw has given up the ghost which is shame. It was very slow when I pulled it out of storage.

So had to hunting down a new eject motor for it. Very hard to find one that actually fits made harder because its surface mounted so the pins need to be in the same place. But managed to find one that’s close enough. I’ll just need to cut down its spindle and we should in business, down side it’s coming from China so going to take while to get here.

Once it’s out I’ll see if I can clean and service the old motor.

Had a loads of fun getting this back up and running.

It’s certainly sparked a new love for cd. There a lot more drive from and attack that’s missing through streaming. Or the qutest is delivering that attack one of the 2 before this I hadn’t listened to a silver disc in, maybe 15 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts