Recording from turntable to PC, less quality than CD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So as the subject says I have been recording from turntable to my PC. The problem is that after doing a recording and comparing the same song to a FLAC file which (I think) was taken from a CD rip/convert, the vinyl recording is inferior.

It can't be the sound card because it is common to both so it must be the turntable and it is a good sound card (192/24bit on all inputs and outputs, Burr-Brown DACs and Cirrus Logic ADC). The turntable had good reviews from What Hi-Fi 5 or 6 years ago, but it was only £30 ish and I was a poor slacker student, so although I can't expect much it has done job until now, but I am now aware of its short comings so I'd like to sort it.

I'm wondering what the most likely cause would be - the built-in phono amp or the MM pickup? I'd assume the pickup would cause more of an issue than the phono amp since it can only amplify what it is given. I'm not sure on replacing pickups on turntables, obviously it would need to be another MM but I've seen different types whilst searching,and I was hoping I could just upgrade to a better pickup (up to around £75) - or do I need to/should I replace the entire turntable with a better one (such as a Project), which would mean also buying a separate phono amp?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
As you said, you know what the problem is, you need a decent turntable, if the first link in the chain is rubbish nothing after it will be able to recover the quality that's been lost.

TRENDING THREADS