Recording from a project essential 2 digital

james1986

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently purchased a project 2 essential digital. I bought this so I could connect to a speaker which I use for my tv and Bluetooth also (nad viso 1). I would like to record my records on to my MacBook pro, is this possible? My speaker is connected directly to the speaker using an optical digital cable. Please could someone provide some suggestions for me?

thank you,

james

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Depending on the age of your Macbook Pro, and depending on the model (15" and above) you might find the line-input jack also doubles as an optical-in. E.g. the line-in on my 2011 iMac does. In that case all you need to buy is a mini-TOSlink to TOSlink cable which are about £4 off Amazon. But if you have a recent Macbook Pro with a retina display, or a 13", these do not have a line input at all, so you would need an optical-USB convertor of some kind, but make sure you buy the right direction, ie you want the optical socket as an input.

To be honest for recording from it you'd have been better off with a Project Essential USB, which would also have been cheaper.

iMark

Of all the current Mac models only the Mac Mini still has the analogue/digital combo jacks. I still use my old MacBook (2007!) to digitize recordings (and use an old Minidisc deck as A/D converter). The Mac Mini sits on my desk and is not used for recording.

But the lack of audio inputs can become an issue. Researching the old internet has made me find this product though, which could be useful for anyone that wants to move music from analogue sources (records, tapes) or old digital sources (Minidisk, DAT) with coax or Toslink outputs. Seems to me to be the ideal box of trix for people with computers that can only convert through USB.

http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/turntable_preamps/product/usb_phono_plus-ps/

Digital recording from the Pro-Ject Essential II Digital to a Mac without digital inputs will work the ART Phono Plus. The A/D conversion will be done by the Pro-Ject. But the ART will convert the Toslink signal to USB. Toslink to USB converters are extremely rare. This might very well be the only box on the market.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts