Recorded programmes have their ends missing!

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Using my Foxsat HDR, I sometimes find that progamme start and finishes are missing when using the auto record feature. The endings are the worse, and it's quite often that I find that the last crucial 30 seconds or so of a programme are missing as the recordings have stopped. I've set the record finish time on the Foxsat for '5 mins after' the programme but this hasn't made the slightest difference.

Is this the fault of the broadcaster, freesat, or Humax? Is there anything that can be done about it?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm assuming it uses the Accurate Recording feature which means it's reliant on the broadcasters Now and Next information being correct. BBC tend to be quite good at this (though they were a bit lax a couple of weeks back), whereas Channel 4 are okay on their SD channel but don't do anything with their HD channel, it just rolls over at the time indicated meaning if the show finishes a bit late, you'll miss the ending. Other broadcasters like Channel 5 are fairly abysmal. It's a shame as it's a great feature if the broadcasters would actually do what their supposed to and keep up to date Now and Next info sent to these boxes - unfortunately not all do. I have to say, I only very rarely miss the beginning or end of a programme on my Digital Stream though (mostly recording shows on the HD channels), so if this is happening all the time, it's worth putting a call into Humax to see why this might be.

I'm also a bit confused when you say you've set the record finish time for '5 mins after' but this hasn't made any difference. If this is a padding feature, then it should mean the box keeps recording 5 mins after the Now and Next information has updated - if you're still not getting the end of the programme, then this means the Humax box isn't doing what it's supposed to, so this is definitely worth taking up with them.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your helpful and interesting reply! As I suspected the issue is essentially with the broadcasters 'now & next' info, BUT given my '5 min after' settings there may be some problem with Humax as well. I've contacted them, and will post their response......if there is one!

The record function is important to us, as we find adverts extremely irritating, far too lengthy, and distracting from following a programme's plot. It's like being constantly interrupted by a knock at the door or the phone ringing when you're engrossed in some activity, except that with TV someone in effect bursts into your room and starts shouting and/or singing at you about something that is of no interest to you at all! As far as BBC is concerned, it's about watching what we want when we want, and having pause and playback which are less clunky than the iplayer.

A

Anonymous

Hi wiskey,

Have'nt had an recordings "cropped" by my Humax HDR after about 3 weeks ownership. I dont have any extra "padding" time set and rely on the EPG/Accurate recording only and everything has worked well (touch wood). My previous Philips PVR HDT8520 was an absolute nightmare and cropped recording all the time (both before and after), and didnt have the facility for padding!

Nick

A

Anonymous

nicholasc1585:

Hi wiskey,

Have'nt had an recordings "cropped" by my Humax HDR after about 3 weeks ownership. I dont have any extra "padding" time set and rely on the EPG/Accurate recording only and everything has worked well (touch wood). My previous Philips PVR HDT8520 was an absolute nightmare and cropped recording all the time (both before and after), and didnt have the facility for padding!

Nick

Just noted you have the Foxsat HDR whereas I have the HDR Fox-T2 Freeview PVR
emotion-10.gif
, sorry. On the plus side, at least you dont have the Philips HD PVR, in which case "cropped" recordings would be the least of your problems!
emotion-2.gif

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
nicholasc1585:nicholasc1585:

Hi wiskey,

Nick

Just noted you have the Foxsat HDR whereas I have the HDR Fox-T2 Freeview PVR
emotion-10.gif
, sorry. On the plus side, at least you dont have the Philips HD PVR, in which case "cropped" recordings would be the least of your problems!
emotion-2.gif

Thanks anyway! I was expecting to hear that lots of people were having these problems, but apparently not.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Humax at the moment.

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
We've often had this problem with the Humax 9200t freeview pvr and are currently experiencing problems with all BBC channels. We've been recording The Trip and Mad Men and lately the machine doesn't record for about 30 - 60 seconds at the beginning and end of the programmes, which is obviously very annoying. It's been going on for about 2 weeks now, I think.

We've always found the BBC channels to be the worst offenders, I'd always assumed this was because BBC programmes rarely if ever start and finish on time, but maybe it is something to do with the Humax.Padding a minute either way always sorts the problem, but it also means that you can't record a whole series with one press of the button, but have to record each show individually.I don't remember having the problem with any of the commercial channels as these are usually "padded" by the commercial breaks at either end.

We've also had problems with the Humax just not recording programmes at all, even when the record symbol is on the epg.This, I think, is a problem with the Humax and it usually requires rebooting the machine.

The Humax isn't perfect, but generally seems more reliable than many other makes and the picture and sound are fantastic, so we're prepared to put up with its faults and when we finally get freeview hd in this area I'd definitely be interested in another Humax.

Having said all that, the only advice I can offer is to try rebooting your machine and if that doesn't work try restoring it to default and then rebooting it. It's worked for me. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts