record cleaning

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shooter69:Analog seduction have them. I've used them on numerous occasions and found them to be very good.

Lovely. Cheers, I'll have a look.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Frank Harvey sells the SE Gyro for under a grand with free delivery on their HiFix website which is cheaper than Stone Audio anyway, I've only used these guys once before but delivery was fast and they seem to understand the concept of communication!

Oh and I'm selling my LP12 soon anyway so you can say what you like Bretty!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Bretty, find a copy of hfn or hfw. If you are dead set on a gyro the man you need to use is Ian Harrison, he bladders everyone price wise. He is a bit blunt and to the point but all in all a good egg. One man show, no overheads, happy with what he makes on the deal and trust me, you will be more than happy.

Unless he has jacked his prices up that is,lol.

Btw, i use a gyro, amongst others, and im with Ivor all the way mate. You need to spend a helluva load of money to beat it.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:
Frank Harvey sells the SE Gyro for under a grand with free delivery on their HiFix website which is cheaper than Stone Audio anyway, I've only used these guys once before but delivery was fast and they seem to understand the concept of communication!

What you getting, Mitch?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:
Bretty, find a copy of hfn or hfw. If you are dead set on a gyro the man you need to use is Ian Harrison, he bladders everyone price wise. He is a bit blunt and to the point but all in all a good egg. One man show, no overheads, happy with what he makes on the deal and trust me, you will be more than happy.

Unless he has jacked his prices up that is,lol.

Btw, i use a gyro, amongst others, and im with Ivor all the way mate. You need to spend a helluva load of money to beat it.

Ian Harrison. Got it. Thanks, FD.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:

What you getting, Mitch?

Oh Haven't quite got there yet, but I'm sure something will come along that takes my fancy. My wife is just getting used to my system changes
emotion-43.gif
which happens too often if truth be told but I do get itchy feet!!
emotion-2.gif

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Oh yes btw Bretty. If you go for the Gyro se you can source your own slab of acrylic and a drop over fish tank stylee cover from the bay. End result, near as dammit a gyro with muhcos moolah saved to spend on vinyl
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:Oh yes btw Bretty. If you go for the Gyro se you can source your own slab of acrylic and a drop over fish tank stylee cover from the bay. End result, near as dammit a gyro with muhcos moolah saved to spend on vinyl
emotion-5.gif

OOH, I like it!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:mitch65:

What you getting, Mitch?

Oh Haven't quite got there yet, but I'm sure something will come along that takes my fancy. My wife is just getting used to my system changes
emotion-43.gif
emotion-2.gif

Well, keep me posted matey. It's a shame Steve doesn't get much high end TT's in.

By the way, I meant no offence to your current TT. She may be ugly, but she's got a cracking personality.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:bretty:mitch65:

What you getting, Mitch?

emotion-43.gif
emotion-2.gif

Well, keep me posted matey. It's a shame Steve doesn't get much high end TT's in.

By the way, I meant no offence to your current TT. She may be ugly, but she's got a cracking personality.

Totally none taken Bretty, by the way I'm in Hastings today (don't tell the wife as she knows where I go) so if you're about I'll drop that record off to you.

A

Anonymous

Regarding the arm bretty , I rated it above the deck it was on. You only have to look at it to see it's well engineered.

The fact that linn picked a near relation to put on their entry level deck says enough. Those guys want to get you on the linn ladder and they wouldn't risk a bad arm !

Good as a RB300 ??

Dunno really cos I only heard it on the pro. I traded it in complete.

You can google michel and they will always talk to ya and help you out. Ask about putting an armboard on for the project arm. It's only 3 cap head screws .

BUT.if you buy new from a dealer the gyrodec ( not deck ! c'mon dude ) it will probably have an rb300 on it ..the gyro is so neutral and true to life that the main reviewers use it as a test deck for reviewing tonearms ,so either way you will be ok I got my RB300 , rewired, better weight, accoustic foam filled ( takes out unwanted arm resonances and give even lower bass ) all for about £200 at ' audio origami' google for info. The guys great and you won't really get much better sound for mucho more money. Saying that I do crave for a SME series V ! but who doesn't ?

I'm getting boring now but before I go, I was all for digital till I got my gyrodec. Not now . In my opinion the gyro does Everything, better than any digital I've heard . And now I can't even listen to CDs or downloads.( trouble is it will show faults as well as good things !! ) So try to get good original recordings bretty, before 83 are best. Some new stuff is ace though , it's a bit of a lottery with vinyl I'm afraid. TIP....with old stuff from 60's , 70's Anything on decca and island , is usually ok . A good vinyl sticky thread mebees ??

When you go see the deck you will appreciate the engineering your getting for what ? A grand and a half tops ?

Theirs nothing anywhere to beat that deck for that cash .

be patient with the springs dude ...up and down bounce is what your looking for , not a sideways wobble . OK ?

But I'm sure these chaps will be here to help ya .

I'm a poster on a few frums and nearly all of em have a snobby attitude towards 'what' forum but to be honest I think it's a bit of allright. !

See ya.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Sorry Mitch, I had an early start today, so I missed your message. Hopefully catch you next time?

Did you pay a visit to Lock up?

You get any goodies?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
Sorry Mitch, I had an early start today, so I missed your message. Hopefully catch you next time?

You get any goodies?

No, unfortunately I never got that far. I was to pay a visit to a one my guys but didn't realise they were pulling up the road by Warrior Square so gave up, on the plus side I got home to find that postie had delivered the Doors LP
emotion-2.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bretty:I've just cleaned my worst disc: Michael Jackson - Thriller. This was basically unlistenable. Horrible. I gave it a good old scrub, with a wetter sponge and more washing up liquid than I used on the other discs today. Dried it with the scrim and gave it a play. The best analogy I can think for what happened is that the stylus was a potato peeler and the record was a potato. Big, curling trails of gunk were pushed up in front of the stylus.

Is that AFTER you've "cleaned" the disc? Does that not tell you that all you're actually doing is cleaning the surface dirt off but leaving the dirt in the grooves, now nice and wet, on the record?

I've never had that after using my Antistat.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

You get any goodies?

No, unfortunately I never got that far. I was to pay a visit to a one my guys but didn't realise they were pulling up the road by Warrior Square so gave up, on the plus side I got home to find that postie had delivered the Doors LP
emotion-2.gif

By the way Bretty, slightly off subject, but my wife has been nagging me to get a CD player so I've bitten the bullet and bought a Rotel RCD-991 to match my amp, good buy??

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:bretty:
I've just cleaned my worst disc: Michael Jackson - Thriller. This was basically unlistenable. Horrible. I gave it a good old scrub, with a wetter sponge and more washing up liquid than I used on the other discs today. Dried it with the scrim and gave it a play. The best analogy I can think for what happened is that the stylus was a potato peeler and the record was a potato. Big, curling trails of gunk were pushed up in front of the stylus.Is that AFTER you've "cleaned" the disc? Does that not tell you that all you're actually doing is cleaning the surface dirt off but leaving the dirt in the grooves, now nice and wet, on the record?I've never had that after using my Antistat.

Nope, it tells me that the dirt from the grooves is being pushed out by the stylus.

This pushing of the anti-stat as the holy grail of cleaning is beyond me. I don't doubt that it works, and i'm not knocking those who use it, but are you seriously telling me that some goats hair bristles gently nestling up against a turning disc, gets into the grooves better than 17 stone of man with a sponge? Bull.

You've never had the stylus pushing gunk out of the record after using the Anti-stat? You're about the only one, then. There's a whole thread about it on here.

I've had an awakening, and now see these audiophile gadgets for what they are: tosh.

I'm sticking to me sponge and Fairy.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:mitch65:bretty:

You get any goodies?

emotion-2.gif

By the way Bretty, slightly off subject, but my wife has been nagging me to get a CD player so I've bitten the bullet and bought a Rotel RCD-991 to match my amp, good buy??

Mitch, are you kidding? If you've really bought a 991, then you've bought one of the best players there are. Full Stop. It was Rotel's 'cost no object' stab at high end, and it worked. Big time. When you open it up, you see it's full of high end components, like Blackgate caps, that are usually reserved for silly money high end stuff.

It has the most realistic vocal reproduction of any player i've ever listened to. And strings through this thing are blooming amazing. To stop myself going on too much, i'll just say that it doesn't have a weakness, it's the full package.

They are a bit like hens teeth, so, where did you get it and what did you pay? If you don't mind me asking?!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:mitch65:bretty:

You get any goodies?

emotion-2.gif

Mitch, are you kidding? If you've really bought a 991, then you've bought one of the best players there are. Full Stop. It was Rotel's 'cost no object' stab at high end, and it worked. Big time. When you open it up, you see it's full of high end components, like Blackgate caps, that are usually reserved for silly money high end stuff.

It has the most realistic vocal reproduction of any player i've ever listened to. And strings through this thing are blooming amazing. To stop myself going on too much, i'll just say that it doesn't have a weakness, it's the full package.

They are a bit like hens teeth, so, where did you get it and what did you pay? If you don't mind me asking?!

Saw it on ebay, apparently mint, boxed, decided I like the amp too much to sell (so much for a stop-gap!) so £300 thankyou very much
emotion-21.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:mitch65:mitch65:bretty:

You get any goodies?

emotion-2.gif

Saw it on ebay, apparently mint, boxed, decided I like the amp too much to sell (so much for a stop-gap!) so £300 thankyou very much
emotion-21.gif

That's a good price, Mitch. Well done. There should be a great synergy between it and the Rotel amp.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

You get any goodies?

emotion-2.gif

Have you played 'LA Woman' yet? 'Riders On The Storm' sounds great.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bretty:the_lhc:bretty:
I've just cleaned my worst disc: Michael Jackson - Thriller. This was basically unlistenable. Horrible. I gave it a good old scrub, with a wetter sponge and more washing up liquid than I used on the other discs today. Dried it with the scrim and gave it a play. The best analogy I can think for what happened is that the stylus was a potato peeler and the record was a potato. Big, curling trails of gunk were pushed up in front of the stylus.Is that AFTER you've "cleaned" the disc? Does that not tell you that all you're actually doing is cleaning the surface dirt off but leaving the dirt in the grooves, now nice and wet, on the record?I've never had that after using my Antistat.

Nope, it tells me that the dirt from the grooves is being pushed out by the stylus.

Exactly, and if you've cleaned the disk properly that wouldn't happen! The idea is to get the dirt out BEFORE you play the disk.

This pushing of the anti-stat as the holy grail of cleaning is beyond me.

I don't think anyone's doing that, the holy grail is a keith monks machine but at >3k that's about as achievable to most people as the aforementioned cup. The Disco is simply regarded as a cost effective alternative, albeit one that requires a little extra effort on the part of the user.

I don't doubt that it works, and i'm not knocking those who use it, but are you seriously telling me that some goats hair bristles gently nestling up against a turning disc, gets into the grooves better than 17 stone of man with a sponge? Bull.

Unfortunately all that says is that you have no idea how it works, it's not a gentle cashmere pad lightly stroking against the surface of the record, goats hair is stiff and it gets into the grooves (boy...), a sponge isn't going to do that. And I worry how many styli you're going to get through before you realise that.

You've never had the stylus pushing gunk out of the record after using the Anti-stat? You're about the only one, then. There's a whole thread about it on here.

Well I'd certainly be interested in seeing that but no, it doesn't happen with my disks, even the ones that were basket cases prior to the antistat getting its hands on them.

I've had an awakening, and now see these audiophile gadgets for what they are: tosh.

I'm sticking to me sponge and Fairy.

You've convinced yourself, without actually trying the thing you're dismissing, it seems to me, which, to be polite, is unscientific, so for that reason, I'm out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts