record cleaning

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers bretty, apart from the TT its all pre owed and bought over some years.

The VPI come direct from the states, took about 14 weeks, was supposed to be 8 but got stuck in customs for some reason.

Worth the wait and paid a favourable price for it, it wasn't RRP put it that way.
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shooter69:Cheers bretty, apart from the TT its all pre owed and bought over some years. The VPI come direct from the states, took about 14 weeks, was supposed to be 8 but got stuck in customs for some reason. Worth the wait and paid a favourable price for it, it wasn't RRP put it that way.
emotion-5.gif

All my hi fi gear is pre-owned. It's a great way to get high end performance for mid level money, as we both know! Your kit's worth more than mine, but mine was just under £6000 to buy new, I paid £1290, inc the new TT.

My biggest bargain was my speakers. They are pretty rare, but the couple of times I have seen them come up on E bay they've fetched around £1400. I paid £140.

What's your biggest bargain?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
shooter69:Cheers bretty, apart from the TT its all pre owed and bought over some years. The VPI come direct from the states, took about 14 weeks, was supposed to be 8 but got stuck in customs for some reason. Worth the wait and paid a favourable price for it, it wasn't RRP put it that way.
emotion-5.gif

All my hi fi gear is pre-owned. It's a great way to get high end performance for mid level money, as we both know! Your kit's worth more than mine, but mine was just under £6000 to buy new, I paid £1290, inc the new TT.

Thats a good price and i absolutely agree with you, i took a giant leap a few years ago with the hi-fi. I was changing budget kit but not really getting anywhere SQ wise so maxed out a credit card on the amp for £1700 and went from there. I've been very happy since with the TT being the last in the chain and coming earlier this year. I have no plans to change anything at the moment but if a nice pair of floorstanders come on the market for a silly price i might have to get those credit cards out, but they haven't come yet.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
What's your biggest bargain?

Has to be the amp, at the time it was the current model. I got off e-bay and to say the seller was pleased with sale is an understatement. He dropped it to me because he didn't want to send it by post which was nice and he was gutted he couldn't believe i was the only bidder. He definitely expected more and I did feel for him, a bit.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shooter69:bretty:
emotion-5.gif

Thats a good price and i absolutely agree with you, i took a giant leap a few years ago with the hi-fi. I was changing budget kit but not really getting anywhere SQ wise so maxed out a credit card on the amp for £1700 and went from there. I've been very happy since with the TT being the last in the chain and coming earlier this year. I have no plans to change anything at the moment but if a nice pair of floorstanders come on the market for a silly price i might have to get those credit cards out, but they haven't come yet.

I will get the new TT early next year, and then that's me done. I'm completely happy with my CDP, amp and speakers and don't plan on changing them. I don't suffer from upgradeitus, because there's no area of the system that isn't perfect, to my ears. Obviously, the TT, isn't perfect, but what this budget player has shown me it can do, over the last week, has really whet my appetite for hearing what £1500 worth of deck can do.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I think you'll be blown away by a £1500 deck compared to the RPM4.

If your definitely going down that route and your changing the cart, could be worth getting one that will compliment your new deck. I know its a bit preemptive but it will save money in the long run.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:shooter69:bretty:
emotion-5.gif

I will get the new TT early next year, and then that's me done. I'm completely happy with my CDP, amp and speakers and don't plan on changing them. I don't suffer from upgradeitus, because there's no area of the system that isn't perfect, to my ears. Obviously, the TT, isn't perfect, but what this budget player has shown me it can do, over the last week, has really whet my appetite for hearing what £1500 worth of deck can do.

New you would not be able to resist - once hooked...............................
emotion-2.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
shooter69:Cheers bretty, apart from the TT its all pre owed and bought over some years.

The VPI come direct from the states, took about 14 weeks, was supposed to be 8 but got stuck in customs for some reason.

Worth the wait and paid a favourable price for it, it wasn't RRP put it that way.
emotion-5.gif

Beautiful deck so definately worth the wait!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:shooter69:bretty:
emotion-5.gif

New you would not be able to resist - once hooked...............................
emotion-2.gif

Yep, It's got me.

Hi, my name's Brett and i'm a vinyl-aholic. I haven't listened to a record in 12 hours.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Yep, It's got me.

Hi, my name's Brett and i'm a vinyl-aholic. I haven't listened to a record in 12 hours.

Brett,

That is only because you've been asleep .

Nick

Annoying the Wife by playing The Birthday Party loud !

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Yep, It's got me.

Hee hee,i love it
emotion-2.gif

......... and then one day Bretty bought a pair of 845 mono blocks and ran his TT passively via a tube phono,

and wet his pants
emotion-5.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:bretty:
Yep, It's got me.

Hee hee,i love it
emotion-2.gif

......... and then one day Bretty bought a pair of 845 mono blocks and ran his TT passively via a tube phono,

and wet his pants
emotion-5.gif

emotion-21.gif
emotion-2.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I meant to just play 'Kind Of Blue' this morning, and then get out and do stuff that needs doing. Nope, been listening since 9 o'clock, only leaving the house to walk the dogs.

Anyone seen my life? I'm sure I had it with me on Friday.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
It didnt take you long to become a fully paid up member of the 'just one more side' gang, did it.

I've just finished a 6hr plus session, tis hotter than pig muck in my lounge at the min.

Good on yer Bretty.

A

Anonymous

Honest mate the clearaudio's are to laid back for me.....projects a bit thin . The roksans a goodie, but nowt goes near a gyrodec mate ....nothing.

And it's got a version with a lid .

gyrodec_02_full.jpg

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
ivoreng:
Honest mate the clearaudio's are to laid back for me.....projects a bit thin . The roksans a goodie, but nowt goes near a gyrodec mate ....nothing.

Is that the modeel that you've got, Ivor? It's a good looking machine, that's for sure. What was the damage on that?

A

Anonymous

Bretty

Slightly more leftfield suggestion - i've just bought a refurbished/upgraded LP12 from a company called Inspire Hi Fi who offer a service where they acquire an old LP12 which is then cleaned up aesthetically (lovely new solid wood plinth etc) and then fully upgraded to a high spec internally. You end up with a turntable that is more new than 2nd hand - it looks and sounds fantastic with a better spec than the Majik Linn offer as their entry level turntable. Mine has a used Akiro arm and new Ortofon 2M blue cartridge (you can add whatever tonearm/cartidge you want) and the total package came in at just over £1,000, so well in the price bracket you are looking at. I heard it in a direct comparison at home with a pro-ject xperience x pack and the difference was light and day to me.

They also offer a brand new turntable for £900 which has been well reviewed in other magazines and the customer service was excellent throughout.

By the way - I don't have any connection with the company, just a very happy customer.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ivoreng:

gyrodec_02_full.jpg

They are lovely decks, was lucky enough to have an Odyssey but had to sell due to lack of finances - absolutely gutted!!

A

Anonymous

Bretty I've got total respect for the LP12 but I swapped mine for my gyrodec....same as the one pictured apart from the arm. And I never regretted it. LP12's suspension etc need constant attention to get the best ot of them and they sound different from any other deck. Better at a few things.worse at more !

Also if you buy a Sondek ( LP12) the upgrade to the top model will cost you about £13,000 , yep thirteen grand ! and it still does a lot of things worse than the gyro IMO .

They will stop making it very soon methinks......record players are to expensive to make and I don't think Linn are going in that direction ..ya heard it here first !

Lots of decks do some things great and some things not so good.....the gyrodec does everything well above average and does a lot , especially soundstaging better than ANY other deck. Up to now i've never heard any argument with that. It's the only deck that if your speakers are 8 feet apart can make music come from 12 feet apart !!

Now the good bit....................You WILL find a gyrodec, and arm for less than £1200 used and pristine. It will probably have a rega RB300 arm on it for that price. And it makes an allready good RB300 sound Ace !! Your project arm would go straight onto it AFTER , you have ordered the correct arm board from Michel . and thats no prob.you just ring em...And their English !

A gyrodec SE ( spider edition } has no lid . A gyrodec.has and contrary to what some people say I find it sounds better with a lid down when playing.

There are upgrades bretty but only upto an orbe standard , and thats only another grand or so, and I never felt the need to.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
On the subject of the LP12, i've never heard anything but good things about them, but I just can't get on with the looks of them.

You've made my mind up, Ivor. I'm gonna go for the Gyrodeck. It's a beautiful bit of kit. I may have misunderstood what you wrote, but, are you saying that the arm on my RPM-4 is better than the Rega RB300 that may come on the Gyro? If that's the case, and my arm is good enough for the Gyro (at least just to get started), then I can get a NEW gyrodeck for £1267 from Stone Audio, without arm, which is cheap enough to mean I can get it before christmas.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If the arm off the RPM4 fits use it for a while. The Gyro is a good deck and will keep you a happy vinyl listener for many a year.

Origin live do RB arms which are fully tweaked up, worth checking out as they have refurbs at cheaper prices. Check em out.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shooter69:If the arm off the RPM4 fits use it for a while. The Gyro is a good deck and will keep you a happy vinyl listener for many a year. Origin live do RB arms which are fully tweaked up, worth checking out as they have refurbs at cheaper prices. Check em out.

Thanks, Shooter.

The 'Silver' tonearm looks interesting.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
On the subject of the LP12, i've never hear anything but good things about them, but I just can't get on with the looks of it.

You've made my mind up, Ivor. I'm gonna go for the Gyrodeck. It's a beautiful bit of kit. I may have misunderstood what you wrote, but, are you saying that the arm on my RPM-4 is better than the Rega RB300 that may come on the Gyro? If that's the case, and my arm is good enough for the Gyro (at least just to get started), then I can get a NEW gyrodeck for £1267 from Stone Audio, without arm, which is cheap enough to mean I can get it before christmas.

Bretty

You're not seriously suggesting the LP12 looks dated are you? Blasphemy!!

The Gyro is a very neutral deck and if you can get a silver arm as well then that should certainly keep you happy for years to come although I would consider a different supplier as my Michell Odyssey took forever through Stone Audio and communication from them was S**T!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:
On the subject of the LP12, i've never hear anything but good things about them, but I just can't get on with the looks of it.

Bretty

You're not seriously suggesting the LP12 looks dated are you? Blasphemy!!

The Gyro is a very neutral deck and if you can get a silver arm as well then that should certainly keep you happy for years to come although I would consider a different supplier as my Michell Odyssey took forever through Stone Audio and communication from them was S**T!

Wash my mouth out!!

Thanks for the tip, i'll give Stone Audio a swerve. Any recommendations for good TT retailers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts