Recommended amp to partner Castle Pembroke floorstander

Pembrok3

Aug 6, 2020
Visit site
Hello

I purchased my Castle Pembroke floorstanders back in ~2001 and I’ve enjoyed these paired with an Audiolab 8000A amplifier, which purchased ~1993 since then. I would like a change/upgrade but would also like to keep the Castles, partly because they are a lovely piece of furniture.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the Audiolab which would pair well with the Castles?

Hello

I purchased my Castle Pembroke floorstanders back in ~2001 and I’ve enjoyed these paired with an Audiolab 8000A amplifier, which purchased ~1993 since then. I would like a change/upgrade but would also like to keep the Castles, partly because they are a lovely piece of furniture.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the Audiolab which would pair well with the Castles?
I agree about you speakers, fine cabinetry.
Budget for said amp might help, as would the equipment you plan to attach to it....

Pembrok3

Aug 6, 2020
Visit site
I agree about you speakers, fine cabinetry.
Budget for said amp might help, as would the equipment you plan to attach to it....

Sorry, yes of course. Arcam CD72 is the main source but I also have a Rega 3 in storage which I may resurrect at some point. I guess in terms of budget I’m keen to understand how much I would need to spend to get an appreciable improvement over the Audiolab, or would I even be better off keeping that and upgrading the CD72? Happy to consider used/classic stuff, if anything more so than current/new.

Thanks

If you're happy with the CD72 and it's working fine I would keep it, to upgrade you could use it as a digital transport and add an external DAC
So I take it the amp must have a built-in phono stage?
Perhaps even keeping the 8000A might be a good idea after the guys mentioned below have had a play with it..... :)

Pembrok3

Aug 6, 2020
Visit site
If you're happy with the CD72 and it's working fine I would keep it, to upgrade you could use it as a digital transport and add an external DAC
So I take it the amp must have a built-in phono stage?

Ideally it should have phono, yes, but then again I could add that separately as needed?

A couple of used options I thought about are Cyrus 8vs or Rega Brio 3. Thoughts on those?
How would something like the Arcam Diva A85 compare to the Audiolab? It should complement the CD player at least I suppose??

Ideally it should have phono, yes, but then again I could add that separately as needed?

A couple of used options I thought about are Cyrus 8vs or Rega Brio 3. Thoughts on those?
How would something like the Arcam Diva A85 compare to the Audiolab? It should complement the CD player at least I suppose??
The A85 was / is a brilliant amplifier and well worth seeking out if you can find one in good condition, obviously because of age it may require a service. I did see one the other day going for £180.
I would quite happily buy this if only to try it out as you can always resell it for that price if it doesn't suit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts