What comes close to the original NAD 3020 Amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

Why change it if it aint broken, shure it might need to be serviced but add what you need a dac or streamer or something else, the amp is still above avarage compared to low budget amps for 200-250 euros in 2022

My cambridge audio axa25 might be really good, mabye not noticeable better than a nad 3020a but alteast it's mechanically 100% mint condition and will last many years

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelnats
The other thing that troubles me is the lack of treble and bass on all the newer amps.
Firstly, you haven't heard all newer amps - no-one has.

Secondly, if you listen with the bass and treble settings as shown, what you are listening to is not hifi - it's what you like/have grown accustomed to, but it's emphatically not an attempt to recreate what the original recording sounded like...

Thirdly, there are still amps out there with tone controls.

Reactions: Al ears and Yelnats

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site

Secondly, if you listen with the bass and treble settings as shown, what you are listening to is not hifi - it's what you like/have grown accustomed to, but it's emphatically not an attempt to recreate what the original recording sounded like...

Agreed. Sorry. I didn’t mean to offend anyone. I should have said “on many”of the newer amps — and you’re right. I haven’t heard many at all. But, I think you are pretty much making the same point I was, which is everyone enjoys their music a certain way — but not everyone is “attempting to recreate what the original recording sounded like” when they are happily listening.

You may want that and many may, but many also enjoy a slightly altered sound — maybe due to room dynamics or even a hearing deficiency — or whatever. I don’t think that makes them a lower class listener. Hi-fi, as I understand it, is simply a system that is able to reproduce the sound or recording with precision. Having bass and treble control doesn’t have to take away from that precision. Like I said, we all have different preferences and I just feel that a lack of treble and bass control removes the option (without added equipment at least) to make some small changes toward a particular preference. It’s nothing personal — it just disappoints me, that’s all.
I am glad to hear that some amps are still allowing for tone controls, although it seems to be a much more limited offering now.

Too true.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
What you’re after can be had in the NAD range today. But a lot more expensive than your thinking. As I’ve found out over the years to get a sound that you maybe used to with today convenience comes at a cost. NAD m10 might be worth a look but will require some more saving on your part.
Think if it was me I’d echo what some others have said and buy a dac. A pre love chord mojo or qutest might work a treat.

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Consider an AV Receiver from Denon and others. They typically have the digital, optical, coaxial, Ethernet, USB and analogue inputs and can switch to give good stereo for music but also to use 5.1, 7.1 for surround sound systems. I sold my passive bookshelf speakers to get active analogue floor standing speakers for the same price. Use the pre-amp I had for phono RCA.

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
Consider an AV Receiver from Denon and others. They typically have the digital, optical, coaxial, Ethernet, USB and analogue inputs and can switch to give good stereo for music but also to use 5.1, 7.1 for surround sound systems. I sold my passive bookshelf speakers to get active analogue floor standing speakers for the same price. Use the pre-amp I had for phono RCA.
Thanks! I will look into that option.

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
Thanks! I will look into that option, although I have no need for anything more than 2 or 2.1 for the TV watching I do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts