What comes close to the original NAD 3020 Amp?

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
I currently own the original NAD 3020 and I’m the original owner. I’m thinking of replacing it with an amp that will allow me to use it to amplify my TV output (Toslink) along with a couple analog aux inputs and a phono input for my non-preamped record player.
At the same time, I would like the unit to switch to whatever input is active automatically. Also, and perhaps most importantly, I would like the same sweet natural sound from my speakers that I have enjoyed for the last 40 years. So many people talk about how wonderful an amp my NAD 3020 was — and still is! But no one suggests an equivalent sounding unit as it has a very unique and awesome sound (in my opinion). Any suggestions out there?
Thanks so much!
PS. I also own the matching NAD tuner 4020A and tape deck 6040 which I purchased at the same time.

(I would like to add a photo here but I’ve tried everything to no avail and have finally given up.) ☹

Edit: Due to help from nads, here is my picture. Thanks!
View: https://imgur.com/a/5aB9kG1

Last edited:
If you use an image optimiser/compressor (many are available online) you should be able to get the file size down.

I doubt you'll have difficulty finding sound that is objectively better from a newer amp, but whether you'll prefer that is a different matter. What's your budget? The aim to get i to switch automatically might limit your options - possibly even to something AV-orientated.

Reactions: Yelnats

Gray

...most importantly, I would like the same sweet natural sound from my speakers that I have enjoyed for the last 40 years.
Like you, I owned both the original 3020A amp and 4020A tuner (using that tuner I noticed image depth for the first time from a radio broadcast).
I remember being very happy with the amp - but would need to hear it again to judge it by today's standards.
For that reason, I would suggest that you listen to some current amps to see how you think they compare.

Look at what you've said in that quote above though.
If I was in your position - and desired the same sound - I'd stick with the same sound.
I would get a small, low cost optical to analogue converter for the T V sound. I would forget any idea of auto input switching (which would anyway, limit your new choices) then I would continue to bask in the sound of the most influential hi-fi amp of all time, whilst marvelling at how long it's lasted 👍

Reactions: Yelnats and Al ears

treesey

As above - keep your sound.

You could purchase a decent stand-alone DAC - I did to allow my old amps to take inputs from modern sources.
One route is to get a Chromecast for the TV (you may already have one), and the DAC - I bought an Arcam irDAC - this way, using your wireless internet connection, you can stream music or anything to the Chromecast via TV to DAC to any of your old amplifier's analogue inputs, which gives you maximum flexibility.

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
If you use an image optimiser/compressor (many are available online) you should be able to get the file size down.

I doubt you'll have difficulty finding sound that is objectively better from a newer amp, but whether you'll prefer that is a different matter. What's your budget? The aim to get i to switch automatically might limit your options - possibly even to something AV-orientated.
Thanks. I am certainly open to listening to an amp that is considered to be objectively better. So if we take that as an easy task, what might I consider that would handle the automatic signal switching?

I’m hoping to spend around $1000 US or less. I was looking at the specs for the NAD D 3045. Would that possibly meet all my conditions?

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
Mabye Cambridge Audio AXA35
Right. I have researched that one a little as well. The only thing is, it doesn’t give much (or perhaps anything) that I don’t already have. If I’m going to move to anything else, and possibly compromise of on my sound, I would at least have to gain on convenience, I.e. automatic switching.

Last edited:

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
As above - keep your sound.

You could purchase a decent stand-alone DAC - I did to allow my old amps to take inputs from modern sources.
One route is to get a Chromecast for the TV (you may already have one), and the DAC - I bought an Arcam irDAC - this way, using your wireless internet connection, you can stream music or anything to the Chromecast via TV to DAC to any of your old amplifier's analogue inputs, which gives you maximum flexibility.
Thanks! I’m going to look into this idea in a little more detail to see if it might work for me.

Gray

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
You certainly like a bit of tone boost (amp was from the days before tone defeat switches).
Unusually for this place, we didn't ask what speakers you've got.
I still have my original speakers but i don’t have any specs on them or even a model number. When I purchased at the time, I was told by the same guy I bought the NAD products from, that it was a great combination (which they have been). They are BSR speakers. I’ve tried to find out more about them but can’t find an exact match for research. A few years ago I had the foams replaced on the 12 inch woofers and they still sound better to me than any speakers I can reasonably afford.
The reason my tone is adjusted so high, is I’m currently testing out some POLK Monitor XT60’s and trying to see what they can do and how they compare. However I do like the treble and bass adjusted a little above flat with my old speakers. They still sound better than the Polks though.
View: https://imgur.com/a/DPNVwtY

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I still have my original speakers but i don’t have any specs on them or even a model number. When I purchased at the time, I was told by the same guy I bought the NAD products from, that it was a great combination (which they have been). They are BSR speakers. I’ve tried to find out more about them but can’t find an exact match for research. A few years ago I had the foams replaced on the 12 inch woofers and they still sound better to me than any speakers I can reasonably afford.
The reason my tone is adjusted so high, is I’m currently testing out some POLK Monitor XT60’s and trying to see what they can do and how they compare. However I do like the treble and bass adjusted a little above flat with my old speakers. They still sound better than the Polks though.
View: https://imgur.com/a/DPNVwtY
Very nice.
What with the 12" drivers, plus some bass boost, I can see how you would have got used to a certain type of sound - and especially if those BSRs are on the floor during normal use.
A change of speakers (and their positioning) would (almost certainly) do more to change your sound than changing the amp.
(I know you didn't want a change though).

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
What you'd gain is it's age.....
That is true. My NAD will not last forever. I have a wee bit of static at the very top end, of the volume (which I never use) and oddly some sort of white noise from about 4 to 5 volume, only when the loudness button is pushed (which I seldom ever use). So currently, those are not big issues for me but I can only see things deteriorating from there. Maybe they are not big problems though and can get that repaired by a good tech who knows his stuff.

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
Very nice.
What with the 12" drivers, plus some bass boost, I can see how you would have got used to a certain type of sound - and especially if those BSRs are on the floor during normal use.
A change of speakers (and their positioning) would (almost certainly) do more to change your sound than changing the amp.
(I know you didn't want a change though).
My wife hates the look of “those old speakers” which is why I was trying out the Polks. Haha. I’m having a hard time making any changes as yes, I am used to the sound. 😊

Reactions: Gray

Gray

That is true. My NAD will not last forever. I have a wee bit of static at the very top end, of the volume (which I never use) and oddly some sort of white noise from about 4 to 5 volume, only when the loudness button is pushed (which I seldom ever use). So currently, those are not big issues for me but I can only see things deteriorating from there. Maybe they are not big problems though and can get that repaired by a good tech who knows his stuff.
Last time I saw a 3020A was around 11 years ago (I was replacing broken speaker terminals).
Point is, the phono input was inherently more noisy than with modern phono preamps - that's one benefit you would notice with a newer amp / preamp.
(Depends how important the phono input is to you).
Your crackle issues might well be cured with a spray of Servisol switch cleaner, but that won't do anything to cure inherent noise - which will also be higher on line inputs, no doubt.

So I've gone from saying enjoy your amp.....to almost talking you into a new one :rolleyes:
Ignore me.

Last edited:

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
Seeing you like the treble up you’d love any decent new amp!!
Interesting…I have not purchased anything else to try yet — other than some Sonos 5s that my son convinced me to try. He thinks they sound marvellous but to my ears there was just something “artificial” about the sound. I couldn’t live with them myself, and I didn’t appreciate being tied to an app. Where will that be in 10 years or so?
The other thing that troubles me is the lack of treble and bass on all the newer amps. Admittedly, I have been out of the loop for 40 years on hifi developments, but don’t we all have a slightly different preferences for the way we want to hear music? I get the purist’s ideology of reference sound but once you get up from your exact perfect spot, things change anyway — and room dynamics make a difference too. Why take that option away from all of us just because it became a popular ideal?
Anyway, enough of my frustrations on that. I’m probably just not as “with it” as I should be. Haha.

Yelnats

Jul 10, 2022
Visit site
Last time I saw a 3020A was around 11 years ago (I was replacing broken speaker terminals).
Point is, the phono input was inherently more noisy than with modern phono preamps - that's one benefit you would notice with a newer amp / preamp.
(Depends how important the phono input is to you).
Your crackle issues might well be cured with a spray of Servisol switch cleaner, but that won't do anything to cure inherent noise - which will also be higher on line inputs, no doubt.

So I've gone from saying enjoy your amp.....to almost talking you into a new one :rolleyes:
Ignore me.
Not at all! I appreciate all the thoughts on this. I know I will gain in some other areas if I make some changes so I am totally open. I just really don’t want to go backwards with regard to what I enjoy now. 🙂

Many noisy pots / switches can be cured with a liberal dosing of contact cleaner spray.
Things like capacitors eventually leak and will need complete replacement.

Reactions: NADman and Yelnats

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts