Recommendations for Integrated Amp with only amp and preamp

Germán M.

Jun 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone, greetings from Lima -Peru!

I'm looking to buy a new integrated amplifier.
However, I do not need a DAC or Phono Stage since I will be streaming from a separate device.
I think I can get the best run for my money with an amp like that. I'm currently looking at the McIntosh MA252, and I was wondering what other integrated amps have those characteristics.

My current source is a Bluesound Node and I will be driving a couple of Triangle Gaïa Ez Towers.

Max budget is $4000 USD.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

However, I do not need a DAC or Phono Stage since I will be streaming from a separate device.
I think I can get the best run for my money with an amp like that. I'm currently looking at the McIntosh MA252, and I was wondering what other integrated amps have those characteristics.

Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum.
So what is your source going to be?
Are you in the States?
Pretty much depends on where in the world you are, your budget, whether you want a hybrid, and what speakers you are looking to drive.

Reactions: Germán M.

Germán M.

Jun 17, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
So what is your source going to be?
Are you in the States?
Pretty much depends on where in the world you are, your budget and what speakers you are looking to drive.
Thanks!
I'm in Perú and I will be driving a couple of Triangle Gaïa towers.
Max budget is $USD 4000

(I will add that to the post too)

Germán M.

Jun 17, 2022
Visit site
If you can get one for your budget that's excellent. There are others around, just don't know what you would be able to get in Peru......
that's a big budget for those speakers
What are you using as a source?

I travel to the states regularly, and most audio sellers here can import almost any brand, so recommendations are welcome!
The speaker upgrade will come next, probably higher-end Triangle also :)
My current source is a Bluesound Node streaming Qobuz and Tidal.

Reactions: Al ears
I travel to the states regularly, and most audio sellers here can import almost any brand, so recommendations are welcome!
The speaker upgrade will come next, probably higher-end Triangle also :)
My current source is a Bluesound Node streaming Qobuz and Tidal.
Nothing wrong with the amp until it needs a change of valves... :)
the problem is I have no idea what European amps I might suggest care going to cost you in the States

Zakhele

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site

My current source is a Bluesound Node and I will be driving a couple of Triangle Gaïa Ez Towers.

Max budget is $4000 USD.

Any ideas?
Marantz Model 40 Integrated Amplifier ( £2 200 )
REL T7x ( BUY 2 ) = £999 each

Zakhele

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site

Max budget is $4000 USD.

Any ideas?
Arcam SA30 = £2000
REL T5x subs ( BUY 2 ) = £700 each ( Total = £1400
Therefore total = £3400 = $4150

or instead of Arcam SA30 amplifer you can buy DENON PMA2500NE = £2000 and combine with TWO REL T5x subwoofers

Last edited:

gasolin

Thanks, I was at some point considering the model 30.
Regarding subwoofers, I’m happy with the bass response of my gaïas.

Amps makes a big difference in the bass

If it has to much highs which trangle can have it can sound thin and bright.

If the amp doesn't have to much highs it can sound as if thesre more bass or just a better balance between the highs and lows.

My Yamaha A-S301 is lacking a little bass and is to the clearer side of neutral, not perfect at high levels with my mission on the other hand my slightly lower powered nad amps have less bright highs and more bass,more full bodied sound + it doesn't change the sound signature when playing loud, it only gets louder not louder and brighter

Mabye look at the Nad C 298 power amp, many seems to like it

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site

Max budget is $4000 USD.

Any ideas?
I have a McIntosh MA6500 Integrated amp which is solid state. I find that it's excellent for LP's and FM radio.
The built in phono stage is not that great though so I use a EAR Yoshino 324 phono stage which is superb for that purpose.

From the point of view of a preamp/amplifier combo(integrated amp) it's all that I'll ever need. The MA6500 had a production run from 1998-2010.

If you are buying new only with a budget of $4000.00 USD the MA252 will probably be very difficult to beat in the realm of integrated tube amps. Conrad-Johnson has only one model of integrated tube amps and I think the price is in the $4500.00 USD range..

Also noteworthy is that McIntosh does not sell junk and their customer service is excellent. McIntosh products also enjoy a higher than average resale value in case you decide to sell later on. Most people that buy McIntosh products typically keep them many decades, even passing them down to their kids.

I've 2 McIntosh amplifiers: MA6500 Integrated amp & a MC2102 tube amp. I bought both brand new- they will be with me until the end.

I don't really like McIntosh stand alone preamps, though the current model C22 preamp is something that I would consider or perhaps a vintage C29.

Finding a good preamp will make all of the difference, whether you go with solid state or tubes.

Good luck.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts